Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-18-2001, 09:45 PM   #1
Anubis
Dungeon Master

h'okay... I really really really want to play a multiplayer game now that I have tooled Irenicus (SP?) but I cannot seem to connect to a multiplayer game using Mplayer. Does anyone have any suggestions??
Old 02-18-2001, 09:47 PM   #2
RAISTLIN

Wish i had a clue. I would love to try multiplayer

Old 02-18-2001, 09:49 PM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hi! I had trouble with the Mplayer software too. Try to find a few others who will do a different kind of connection if you can't get into MPlayer. Maybe Zor or someone can help with MPlayer though.

I'm in a tcp/ip connected game with my companions. FUNFUNFUN!!!!

Cloudbringer
Old 02-18-2001, 09:54 PM   #4
Anubis
Dungeon Master

Any chance I could get in on that? I promise to bring a powerful Paladin to the mix...
Old 02-18-2001, 10:08 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Probably not this time around, as we still have connect lag times when a lot of action is going on, but if I ever get high speed hookup,and it clears things up it would be easier! Thing is, that when we are all on screen and battle stuff is happening, my monitor/mouse lag is outrageous and so is Charlie's. We are feeling our way through this one as a 'test' for future, though. Right now, I think we are worried that more players might slow it down even more, because of all the data being exchanged.

There were a few others out there looking to try the multiplayer games- don't know if they finally hooked up or quit. Maybe someone will pop in here. Hope so!

Will keep in mind for future, though. It's so much fun, I'm sure I'll do it again!

MMMMM, Paladins...nice!

Cloudbringer
Old 02-18-2001, 10:16 PM   #6
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

CB, is the lag time stuff between you and Charlie or the both of you and Turbo? I don't have any answers. I'm just collecting information for when I get my new computer. It comes in a couple of weeks and I would like to try a Mplayer game then. My current one is way to weak to play BG2 in multiplayer. I take it you are on a regular phone line. I hardly ever log on at better than 28800bps. i wonder if thats really fast enough to play on line. Any info would be welcome.
Old 02-18-2001, 10:30 PM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Sir Taliesin: Part of my trouble is the cheapo winmodem Gateway included in my system. I didn't know any better, so I took it. And up til now, it wasn't an issue. I've got 128mb Ram and decent video/sound cards. But the winmodem apparently eats up ram while working. Slows me down. Although that's not Charlie's problem he has high speed connection. We both experience varying degrees of lag at certain times and not always for either or both. Uh, is it clear as mud, yet? Sorry!

When Charlie is clearing a trap or one of the others is doing something that takes them to another screen (inventory) I sometimes get a small lag, not critical.

Turbovee is hosting and doesn't see lag, the game's actually running on his machine(saved there). I am considering a higher speed hookup or reg modem. Planned to do it earlier, but didn't get a chance and now it will have to wait a little.

What is your new system? I think I posted my specs back in one of turbovees calling charlie and cb threads a while ago. Not top of the line now, but it was a year and half ago!

Cloudbringer
Old 02-18-2001, 11:37 PM   #8
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

My new machine is a 900mhz Athlon/Thunderbird, 128 Megs of ram, 32 meg eVGA Geforce MX video card, 30 gig hard drive, and a 56k.v90 modem (something like that). I got all this for $830 bucks. It was a little more than I wanted to pay, but I'll survive. I'm currently using a 233P with 32 megs of ram and a 8 meg video card. Runs BG2 but not real well.
I hope I can use my new one for work too. Got to talk my company out of some software first.
Old 02-18-2001, 11:48 PM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Sir Taliesin: Nice upgrade from what you had! I won't even tell you what my system ran me, Gateway 'aint cheap'! And that was a year and a half ago. Sigh...I have a PIII 500, 128mb ram, 20gb hd 3dfxvoodo (16mb) video, SoundBlaster Live! sound card, Boston digital spkrs/subwoofer, 17 in monitor. REALLY wanted led, but waaaaaay too expensive yet. Will wait for it to drop.

You shouldn't have any trouble with BG2 on the new machine!

Cloudbringer
Old 02-18-2001, 11:59 PM   #10
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I don't think I will. It should run just about anything. Well, its time to put my little man in his bed. He wouldn't go to sleep tonight. He's crashed on the couch right now. Time for him to go to his bed. Time for me to go to mine too.
been a long day... actually week. Good Night!