Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Looking Around Browsers

..just want to get an idea of what people are using these days. (No arguments please)

I find that every time Firefox comes out with an update, I'm a little less satisfied with them; mostly because it seems to be getting slower. I always used to defend them, but now I'm a bit annoyed. I still like the tab browsing, pop-up blocker (when it works) and some other features.

Was it Yahoo that is coming out with it's own browser?

Last edited by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood; 08-31-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default Re: Browers

I think it was google, something called Chrome IIRC. never really looked into it myself. IE's performance has been satisfactory, so I've no current desire to try others.

You may want to see what you can do about fixing your title. Honestly had no clue what this was about before I read your post.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yes, I thought it was something to do with either Mario, or eyebrows (New Mario Bro's game inc. this year btw!).

Anyways, IE as always. Have Firefox in case I need it for something special, but rarely use it. I find IE more convenient, and just as smart as FF is now.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Is that a bit better?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
Huwge
Dungeon Master

Happy using FF here with just the usual security plugins
Old 08-31-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
wellard
Dracolisk

With you on this one Variol

I used to be a big fan of firefox but it is quickly disappearing up its own backside. I don't want to go back to IE but I am willing to go to another browser to try. I unfortunately have downloaded firefox 3.5 and hate it. But I have failed to find an earlier version that i can download and try and prevent it updating.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
dplax
Jack Burton

My favourite was Firefox 2...been using Firefox 3 and 3.5 since they came out, but it just doesn't have that same feeling...

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I use IE 8 and use Firefox as a backup, or secondary. I have not yet downloaded FF3.5 and from the sounds of it, am glad I have not. I wonder why 3.5 is reportedly slower? I have gone through the steps to speed up FF 3.0 that are posted all over the internet but don't even know if it's done anything noticeable for me. I wonder if doing something like that for 3.5 will have an affect.

I have considered Chrome, but have not done so seriously yet. I once tried Safari for Windows, but did not like the features.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
ocellis
The Magister

Default Re: Browsers

I'm using the latest Firefox version, and am mostly satisfied. People report decreases in performance, but i haven't noticed anything to this effect. Even when the programme has been running for days, with multiple tabs open, memory usage remains more or less constant and the response time is short.

I tried Chrome, but it lacks several features i don't want to give up. Namely: automatic filtering of advertisements, per domain greasemonkey support, bookmark synchronization, and a decent download manager, which allows you to easily save all links and media of a given type off off a website.

Oh, and the awesome bar. Chrome copied it, but it doesn't quite match the original + extensions yet.

My main gripe with the latest Firefox is how self signed SSL certificates are handled. I understand the reasoning behind warning users about them, but the way this was implemented is very aggravating.
ocellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #10
Froberg
The Magister

Default Re: Browsers

I love my firefox.. I couldn't do without.

It's so integral to my web-browsing experience now, and I have yet to find any valid alternatives.