Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2003, 05:24 AM   #1
GokuZool
Lord Ao

What is the best free web builder which lets you customise everything? I went to Lycos but I can't do anything with it! They only give you presets I want something like Geocities where you can add text and pics anywhere. It's good, but you can't host pics.

I used to use Homestead. I though it was pretty good! You could work on your site offline and it was a very powerful web builder. Then they made it so you had to pay to keep it online. I lost a really cool website!

My new site is going to be a gallery of graphic work I've done. I would also like to be able to host sigs from it. (Ranchoweb doesn't let you do it anymore )

So what I'm asking....

1: Where can I find a free web builder which lets you do more than just stupid presets? Something like Geocities, but so I can host sigs as well. (It would be good if it had a good MB limit such as 50-100MB)

2: Are there any free web builders which let you work on you site OFFLINE?

Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-11-2003, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: GokuZool ]
Old 02-11-2003, 07:46 AM   #2
Judas Maccabeus
The Magister

Actually, http://pages.sprint.ca/ uses Homestead, and is free, but doesn't allow direct linking.
<br /><br />\'Far be it from me to do such a thing as flee from them! If our time has come, let us die bravely for our kinsmen and not leave a stain upon our glory!\'<br />--1 Maccabees 9:10
Old 02-11-2003, 09:05 AM   #3
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

You seem to misunderstand the concept of web-authoring. You're not supposed to build your website online anyway, it's just that in their eternal quest to stop people learning anything for themselves, people have created online site builders supplied by web hosts.
Your best bet is to find a proper web host which doesn't give you all that web building crap to deal with. You want a host where all you can do is upload.
I now know that HotMetalPro 4 is available free (I got it on a magazine CD) and this is a good web-development program for beginners to advanced.
If you can't find this, there are literally hundreds of free good web-building tools which you can use, just do a search on google. And learning a little HTML can help www.w3schools.com
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray