Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2003, 02:08 PM   #1
WillowIX
Apophis

Basically every newspaper covers this story. Hamas has offered a "cease fire" and the Israeli army is withdrawing. Betlehem was returned to the Palestinians today. So what do you think? Will they be able to make peace with each other or does the hatred still run too strong?

Personally I hope that this will be the end of it but I don't believe it is. There are several Palestinian groups still active and I doubt that Israel will refrain from military actions should there be further bombings.

[ 07-02-2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 07-02-2003, 02:20 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Let us keep our fingers crossed.

It's so very difficult because the very groups fighting for Palestinian liberation actually seem to not *want* liberation. Every time peace talks start, the bombings increase. They are going to get their own state. What more could Hammas, the PLO, etc. be looking for??

Personally, I think maintaining the conflict is part of the Hammas agenda. While Palestine may be served by peace, Hammas is not. Hammas is in fact obviated to a large degree by peace.

[ 07-02-2003, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 07-02-2003, 02:25 PM   #3
MagiK

Wish I could be optomistic but I believe that in less than 48 hours we will see another idiot suicide bomber blow up a bus filled with women and children in Israel and things will explode again. *sigh* I hope it doesn't happen...but I think it will.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:28 PM   #4
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

If peace is obtained than many of these groups will no longer have a purpose and cease to exist. Maybe that is why they are so scared of peace.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 01:01 AM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Peace in Israel is a pipe dream. I hate to be really pessimistic, but there will not be peace until one side is so completely decimated that it cannot fight back. The really radical groups like Hammas want the nation of Israel to disappear from the face of the Earth and will accept nothing less. They don't want peace, they want victory; the sooner people realize this is the sooner that the situation can be approached differently. Talk, as the saying relates, is cheap.

Radical groups are like dogs in the last stages of a rabies infection: there is only one thing you can do for them....

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 09:44 AM   #6
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

It will not happen. They can't even get Yasser Arrafat's bunch to get on board.
khazadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 10:05 AM   #7
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
It will not happen. They can't even get Yasser Arrafat's bunch to get on board.

Yasser who? I think he is gonna be disappeared one of these days and maybe soon.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:23 AM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Yasser who? I think he is gonna be disappeared one of these days and maybe soon.
Well I got to agree with this more or less. It depends of your use of the word disappeared. He should have been kicked from power a long time ago. The same goes for all old-school politicians in that area. I would love to see some new young blood in both the Israeli and Palestinian government. Especially young people not totally absorbed with hatred.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:37 PM   #9
Chewbacca
Zartan

Mr. Arafat is very popular with his own people and if I remember correctly is a democraticly elected leader, or at least was.

To speak of "Disappearing" popular elected leaders is as far from democracy as we can go I think.

I smell a very big culture gap here in the west and a lack of understanding of what is really going on in the streets of Isreal, Gaza, and the West Bank. I admit I dont understand it all, at all and won't pretend too either.

[ 07-03-2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 07-03-2003, 01:40 PM   #10
Chewbacca
Zartan

The documentry film call "Persona Non Grata" is being playyed on the HBO channels. It is Oliver Stone's personal journey thorugh Isreal and the West Bank in the spring of 2002. He interviews all sorts of Isreali leaders, Hamas, The martyrs brigade and many people on the street on both sides. An excellent look into the hearts and minds over there.