Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-03-2001, 11:31 PM   #1
Ziroc

My friend is VERY pissed off at Microsoft because of all these damn 'backdoors' virii have infected (Nimda) and others, so he is thinking of changing all servers to Linux using Apache)

UBB runs fine on Linux and Unix, so I don't have to convert anything--all member files, posts and stuff will be fine.

I don't know WHEN he is going to do the change-over, but when it does happen, the forum and website www.ironworksforum.com may be down a few days (1-3) so if you see us down, hang in there..

PS: This changes nothing except maybe the forums will load and run faster--I will still be upgrading this forum software this month, I am just waiting for the latest version of UBB to come out of beta so I can add the mods to it.

The server, if changed to Linux/Apache, WILL be SO much more stable too.. so it should be worth the down time!

Thanks.. This 'down-time' may be this week, or next.. dunno yet..

------------------
Ziroc™
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 10-03-2001, 11:35 PM   #2
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything went weird after just a day of Nimda!!!!!!!

Oh well, if it is for the good of the colony...sniff

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

And you never did think that it ever would happen again, in America did you? And you never did think that we'd ever get together again, but we damn sure fooled ya. We're walkin' real proud and we're talkin' real loud again, in America. And you never did think that it ever would happen again.... (Charlie Daniels)
Old 10-03-2001, 11:44 PM   #3
Desuma_Malevois

Aaaaaack!! Just when things are heating up at the KFA I might have to put my 'master plan' on hold. Oh well, if it's gotta be it's gotta be.

Mike

Old 10-03-2001, 11:48 PM   #4
Ziroc

Don't worry, other than maybe a speed increase in loading pages here, you won't see a difference. Change can be GOOD!

------------------
Ziroc™
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 10-04-2001, 04:36 AM   #5
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Might be a good call Ziroc! Heard alot of good things about the Apache server! Many people are using it here in Sweden and they have got a good solid websites and forums based on them!

Good luck with the move! We will hang in there!

------------------

Howling to the moon, cause this world seems so far away..
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 10-04-2001, 04:53 AM   #6
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

NO! I WANT MICROSOFT! nah... I think it is good coz you guys wouldn't change into a much more pathetic program naturally

Just post and boom okay? No ... boom first... how about the night before? teehee

------------------

Chaotic Cavalier of ALSB, protector of the Innocent, slayer of the mad...
Old 10-04-2001, 05:25 AM   #7
Bruce The Aussie
Fzoul Chembryl

Good for you. dump Microsoft and move to the sever that won't crash when you push a button.

------------------
Old 10-04-2001, 05:32 AM   #8
Link
Jack Burton

NOOOOO!!! We've got to miss IW again?? :crying I don't like that Ziroc, but I do understand why it is done. BTW: what are all those testing threads?? You say nothing but post "123". What's it about??

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe
Old 10-04-2001, 05:40 AM   #9
Epona
Zartan

Linux is much, much, much more stable. Windows really is the direst. Goodbye to the blue screen of death....

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-04-2001, 06:07 AM   #10
Ed
Manshoon

Yeah, dump microsoft. I can never get mine to stop crashing.

------------------

The REAL Minsc/Boo double act .....

Platinum Fighter of ALSB