Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
dplax
Jack Burton

Default I hate forced updates

And surprisingly this thread isn't even about Apple or Microsoft...

Quote:
You’ve been updated to the latest version of Firefox 2.

This is the last planned update for Firefox 2.

That’s it for Firefox 2… Update to Firefox 3 Today!

Mozilla is not planning any further security & stability updates for Firefox 2, and recommends that you upgrade to Firefox 3 as soon as possible. It’s free, and your settings and bookmarks will be preserved.
Also, the Phishing Protection service will no longer be available for Firefox 2 users. Firefox 3 offers a free Phishing and Malware Protection service, which will continue to protect you from online scams and attacks.
Way to force people to upgrade...if I haven't upgraded yet it's for a bloody reason...

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Default Re: I hate forced updates

Funny, I've been thinking of going back to FF 2!
Old 12-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

...I'm a little confused at the animosity toward migrating to a newer version of an open-source and free piece of software...

Now, if your $1000 copy of AutoDesk said, hey, I'm not going to patch this anymore, and you need to pay $500 more for the latest edition...well, that would upset me...but, as far as I know, most software like that does continue to be updated, until most of the install base has migrated to the newer versions due to the increased productivity that they bring to the table.

I mean, yes, it's about choice, but I'm not sure why one would even have a preference.

It certainly isn't a performance thing. Firefox 3 runs beautifully on my 766MHz Pentium III system with 384 MB of RAM...in fact, that's what I'm typing on at the moment.

Only thing I can think of is that it might break your extensions.

That is a bit of a pain.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Broken extensions have frustrated me. The menu editor that worked on FF2 doesn't work at all on FF3...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilander View Post

It certainly isn't a performance thing. Firefox 3 runs beautifully on my 766MHz Pentium III system with 384 MB of RAM...in fact, that's what I'm typing on at the moment.
Buy a chain and you've got an anchor!!

Actually, my wife's is almost the same and it just gave out (or just a bad connection) about a month ago.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
dplax
Jack Burton

Broken extensions are one thing...although support for legacy extensions would have been an intelligent thing to build into FF3...but that's a totally different gripe.

I also hate the new way the address bar proposes addresses as you type. What I use under FF2 (just typing the first one or two letters of an address) no longer works, because I can no longer type g and go to giantitp.com because g occurs more frequently in mail.google.com (for which I use m currently). And I can't be bothered relearning what I need to type for all of the internet addresses I use. (we have FF3 at work, so I do know how it works)

Give me FF3 without that new feature and I might use it. Anyway, the fact that I don't like FF3 isn't my main problem.

Quote:
Also, the Phishing Protection service will no longer be available for Firefox 2 users.
The fact that they no longer update is understandable. Everyone does it with older software...the above sentence is different. Basically translates to..."Don't want to change? Ok, we'll remove a feature you had."

I don't give a rat's ass about phishing protection, I don't need it (I know what to avoid), it's just the fact that they are deactivating a feature just because you don't want to upgrade. It's like saying that people who don't use the latest winamp version from now on can no longer play FLAC files.

EDIT: before anyone makes the point that Winamp actually doesn't play FLAC files...that's beside the point of the post, and I'm aware of it.

Last edited by dplax; 12-17-2008 at 05:17 PM.
dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.4) Gecko/2008111318 Ubuntu/8.10 (intrepid) Firefox/3.0.4
Smooth as silk, fast as a slick cotton tail with a fox on his scent.
However, some of the older extensions, plug-ins and widgets don't cooperate, but hey, for the price who can complain?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilander View Post
...I'm a little confused at the animosity toward migrating to a newer version of an open-source and free piece of software...

Now, if your $1000 copy of AutoDesk said, hey, I'm not going to patch this anymore, and you need to pay $500 more for the latest edition...well, that would upset me...but, as far as I know, most software like that does continue to be updated, until most of the install base has migrated to the newer versions due to the increased productivity that they bring to the table.

I mean, yes, it's about choice, but I'm not sure why one would even have a preference.

Only thing I can think of is that it might break your extensions.

That is a bit of a pain.
If your Mum gave you a gift, say a handknitted sweater she made for you, and you loved it, would you get pissed off if she just took it off you and knitted on new red arms without asking?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:05 PM   #9
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

As an IE user I chuckled a bit.

*goes and hide*
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:08 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: I hate forced updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
If your Mum gave you a gift, say a handknitted sweater she made for you, and you loved it, would you get pissed off if she just took it off you and knitted on new red arms without asking?
This analogy is flawed, because they are not modifying FF2, just ceasing support for it.

Ergo, your mother stops repairing any holes/tears in your handknitted sweater, and badgers you to wear the new one she bought for you. The resistance comes about because one has grown comfortable with the old one.

Cheers.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote