Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2001, 05:52 AM   #21
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

I quit three years ago now, and am so glad I did! Something that helped me a lot was the book by Alan Carr, quite well known in England, called The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. He explodes a lot of the 'myths' around smoking - like the withdrawal symptoms are terrible. Funny thing, - the other times I tried to stop, the withdrawal symptoms WERE terrible, but when I quit after reading the book - I hardly had any. The mind is an awesome thing!

One of the things he says is when you quit, quit. Celebrate that you've quit. If you're longing for a cigarette inside, and wishing for one constantly, then you haven't quit at all.... Good point. Also, he makes the point about not saying 'I've given up smoking'. To give up implies sacrifice - if you're in sacrifice mode, what you really want to do is start again. Thanksfulness mode is much more likely to work, i.e. 'thank god I've stopped. I'm free!!'.

I was a very heavy smoker for some years and tried to stop using many strategies. This one was the best - the only problem is it doesn't say anything about good, supportive nutrition while you're stopping. You need to keep your blood sugar up. (Like Moni says, sunflower seeds are really good). So the best thing to do is eat really healthily while you're 'stopping', and make sure you don't skip meals.

Gum - I'm told it works for some. Nicotine gum I wouldn't recommend at all. Ordinary gum neither, for that matter. How's about taking up some physical exercise at the same time as stopping instead? I did that, and lost half a stone! Was very very pleased.

Anyway, here's wishing you the very best of luck!
Old 09-01-2001, 06:59 AM   #22
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Thanks for the advice silver cheetah. I wish I had that mindset. I really want to stop, but unfortunately I really do still long to have a cigarette. I haven't yet, and I've drank a couple of times since I quit so thats incouraging. I would think if I'm going to wimp out it would be when I'm at a bar.

As far as the excercise goes, I have always gone to the gym twice a day and eaten really healthy. I never really suffered the shortness of breath many smokers did because I have always ran 4 miles every morning and lifted weights a couple of times a day. That part isn't a problem. Actually the gym has been better since I quit because it's a great way to let the anxiety out. I have been going for longer then I usually do since I quit.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-01-2001, 11:01 AM   #23
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
I would think if I'm going to wimp out it would be when I'm at a bar.

As far as the excercise goes, I have always gone to the gym twice a day and eaten really healthy. I never really suffered the shortness of breath many smokers did because I have always ran 4 miles every morning and lifted weights a couple of times a day. That part isn't a problem. Actually the gym has been better since I quit because it's a great way to let the anxiety out. I have been going for longer then I usually do since I quit.

[/B]
Ooh, one thing I forgot to mention - when I quit smoking, I also quit drinking. That actually wasn't cos I thought I wouldn't be able to do one without the other (although I think it was really helpful) more because my drinking was well out of control. But I do think it made it a lot easier. I felt so much better not drinking that I never started again - think that particular decision probably saved my life!

I am MAJORLY impressed by your exercise regime. When I used to smoke I used to get taxis just to go up hills - exercise was one of those 4 letter words for other people. I used to give the gym a stab occasionally, but it didn't involve alcohol or cigarettes, and so I never lasted more than a few sessions.

Nowadays I do dance, (the 5 rhythms) which I really like, and swimming. Just started pilates - maybe you've heard of it? Very good corrective if you have a weak lower back apparently, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes...

But anyway, my best advice, if you feel really tempted, is go buy that book I mentioned (cos it shows you how smoking works on the mental and emotional levels et (knowledge is power) and b. go buy sunflower seeds and eat them if the cravings hit. Hope it helps!
Old 09-01-2001, 02:15 PM   #24
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Thanks again for the advice! I will definately go and see if I can find that book.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB