Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Ironworks Forum Three things I would love to see in the module - discussion post.

Now I know these would be at best somewhat difficult to script into the module with everything else going on inside of it, but I thought these three things would make life slightly easier for players:

- a de-leveler character for people whom are certain they screwed up somewhere during a build (such as myself). not sure how those work, but I have seen them in other games so it is something I could look into myself at first.

- an alignment change character (perhaps in the same menu). that way, those "ridiculous" builds people have always dreamed of (such as monk/paladin/blackguard) could finally be possible.

- an option to delete your own characters. I know there's a script or three for that one, but I haven't looked into it enough to really be all that positive about it.

==

discuss if any of you think any of these would be good for the grand server game Ziroc's brought to us thus far.
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: Three things I would love to see in the module - discussion post.

From the past discussions these have been brought up.

1. De Leveler - Could be built into a quest but then wouldn't really fit into the RPG sence of things. Check out Chewie Halls of advanced Training mod on NW Vault. I always plan out my builds in there and take notes for brining them into Undermountain.

2. YOu can play around with the alignments if you know which quests to do. I'm sure there are a few quests now that give you some shifts

3. There are some scripts for this but they potentially open up access to Z's server since you are essentially deleting a file from the server. From what I remember there were some security issues when this was last brought up.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

on point #3: there is supposed to be a script that only allows for the deletion of the character and nothing else. I have no idea where it is, however. I know I saw it a few times last year, but I've had no fortune searching for it this time around. then again, I only spent a day trying to find it. maybe if I look harder, I'll see it again. as the only thing I would want it to do is to remove a character so one didn't have to ask Ziroc to do it for us.

(and it seems the only way to do that is to add the NWNX server script to the module... and I have no bloomin' idea how that thing works. so it looks like it'll have to remain the way it is for now: requests)

on to point #1: a deleveler built into a quest? I was thinking more of just a character whom you talked to in order to lose a level or five. of course, it might just be easier for the deleveler to just bring you back to one. I am not sure, as I am not familiar with scripts. though I have seen a few of these on my last breeze through on NWVault. in connection with point #3 however, a deleveler-based character situated inside of Durnan's tavern might cut down on the desire to remove characters entirely. with a deleveler, the character one first thought was completely lost could be salvaged by starting from the base and working upwards again.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view....Detail&id=214
Joanna The Leveler (apparently also has an alignment change script built into it)

as for the legend of point #2: only quest I know of that does anything to alignment is on Level Twelve, and all it does is shove you towards True Neutral. I haven't even attempted a "What Quests Are There" thread yet, which may help towards alignment shifts that are desired by some in order to make their "perfect character." You know, like a paladin/bard/WM nicknamed "The Singing Saviour...

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view...Detail&id=7206
NWN Alignment Manager (this goes into the override folder, so this is out of the question. still, I like the idea of being able to select my alignment via menu. sure, it goes against the RPG grain of things, but for those whom are using the module purely for socialization and action, I don't think many would find it offensive.)

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view....Detail&id=909
Level/Alignment Trainer (I just saw this and was thinking more for the alignment than the levels. if something like this was used, that level part would have to be stripped out completely I figure. no free XP in Ziroc's module.)
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.

Last edited by Mozenwrathe; 01-16-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

some of the quest in skullport shift your alignment towards evil. Its been a while but Im sure the Ghost quest does (depending on your dialog)
Old 01-17-2008, 01:56 AM   #5
javan
Zhentarim Guard

Savro's ghost in Skullport asks you to tell his family he passed on. If you tell his widow nicely you get points towards Good; talk nasty and you move towards Evil- just ask my Sorceror/Paladin/Blackguard!

The Hand of Bane quest on level 12 moves you (and your companions) towards True Neutral.

One of the Drow quests on level 13 (recovering an evil artifact from the Pits, I think) moves your alignment towards evil.

I believe there is a quest on level 15 that moves your alignment towards Lawful. I have done it once but forgot the details.

Last edited by javan; 01-17-2008 at 01:57 AM. Reason: spelling
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Yes, but that is not the same thing as having an alignment manager, whereby you could shift from lawful to non-lawful specifically to go from e.g. monk to bard. The disadvantage of something which would do this is that you then lose the RPG progression style of EFU. The ideal RPG alignment manager would be a temple priest, whereby you could choose to do a quest for them and instead of getting xp you get an alignment shift. Give him/them a set of quests to complete and you should be able to hop around with your alignment. But this would mean a whole new set of quests and scripting just for this one thing. Not sure how Z would feel about that...

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:54 AM   #7
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

If you want to do complicated paladin/blackguard builds, hit all the right quests. An alignment manager is easy enough to do, but as has been pointed out, takes away from the role play aspects intended for the game in general. While a lot of us old timers only really care about role play while we're trying to do it, focusing instead on power builds, and who's going to win what sporting event, there are some players that would prefer a more roleplayish environment. (I think I made up a word.)
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
I think I made up a word.
Sure, you did, but that's all to the good as you're a bard - it's in the job spec.

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote