Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 05-22-2004, 11:02 PM   #1
Robalex
Dungeon Master

I'd like to know if the Blacksmith trait is really worth getting for my party. I have 2 Barbarians 2 priests & 2 wizards. All of my spell casters are busy trying to get up to Lvl 7 & to improve Sorcery. My barbarians are either studying Traps & Locks (lvl 5) or Artifacts (lvl 6) . I don't really know who to give the trait to. Also I can pick Scout now at the Warrior Guild since all my team is Guild Lvl 3. Is it worth it?? I have a Gourk but she only sniffs live monsters but can cast Spirit Eye. My mages can cast reveal. So do I need it . If I do which of my barbarians should get it . Maybe the one who will become a Ranger after he gets the Stunning Blow (when he's Guild Lvl 5 in Warrior's Guild)
Robalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:21 AM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Scout can be useful, but it's not essential. Same for smithing. Though, when you get in those later levels (Shurugeon Ruins for example), where all your equipment is at the breaking point, being able to repair them yourself can come in handy.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:56 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Scout is not all that useful. I mean, someone will tell you there's a monster nearby, but that's it -- no idea as to where, or how many, or any of those minor things. When you get to Brimloch Roon, however, the ability to know that there's a crab around can be extremely valuable...

As for Blacksmith (aka Forge), it is extremely useful. Your equipment is always taking damage, and it costs money to repair it. If you don't, eventually it will break and disappear (as happened to someone's Sword of Argus once... ).

I'd train one person in blacksmith and forge until you're level 5. That should repair most normal items and perhaps a couple of the fancy ones (nightblade, magic swords).
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 07:40 AM   #4
Robalex
Dungeon Master

I really appreciate the quickness & great way you guys answer. I was wondering to maybe with the Scout skill you can detect undead eg no blood while a GOURK only has Blood Scent. I also see your point about Blacksmith & Forge (although I always try to get my equip't repaired even if it's only 1 or 2% damaged.
Robalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 09:41 AM   #5
bsftcs
Red Dragon

I recommend the scout skill. At level 12 it will notify you whenever any monster or group of monsters spawns. This can be useful for both the crabs and for any type of monster that yields many experience points.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:22 AM   #6
So So
Zhentarim Guard

I would recommend both the Blacksmith and Scout... Blacksmith comes in handy because of the fact that weapons and things have to be maintained... Hmm...I don't think I've ever seen an armor get damaged...

Scout is useful because I guess it's my personal playing preference...I just don't like being surprised...But I guess it isn't really that useful...Except like Bungleau and bsftcs said in Brimloch Roon those crabs are really hard to find sometimes....
Old 05-24-2004, 03:35 AM   #7
Radek
Red Dragon

I recommend both skills.

Scout: it's always a good idea to know what is trying to take you for a dinner. A warning about Jungle Lilies is usually welcome [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] Naturally, getting an echo about crabs arond will solve problems with crab shells for you.
Forge: (Needs the Blacksmith Trait) Not only you won't pay for repairing your weapons but also you will be able to repair your weapons anywhere. No need for returning to a town.

Note about Forge and Artifact skills: In W&W, ID Difficulty Level = Repair Difficulty Level. Therefore, if you will keep your Forge skill at the same level as your Artifact skill then you will be able to repair exactly those items, which you will be able to identify.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:50 PM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I liked both skill and in my first game when we were looking for shells to be made into breathers, I was very glad to have the Scout skill. You probably can do without them but I thought they were useful.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote