Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 02-01-2001, 09:31 AM   #1
Magnus

I'm a little confued with the class changes. The manual and what I've read here don't seem to match. Lets say my Warlock is going to become a Samurai and has Lvl 5 Sun, Lvl 6 Fiend, Lvl 4 Moon etc. Do these levels stop or do they only continue after I have surpassed the previous class level? I just don't want to change and then loose out on higher level splells.
Old 02-01-2001, 10:38 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

If you are changing to Warlock, you will continue learning all prior studied magic schools + Moon & Fiend magic at the same skill level.

If you are changing to any other class, you will learn the magic school of that class at full skill level, and may continue learning the magic skill of the other classes at 1/2 the skill level, rounded down. That is to say, if you are a Wizard with 4th level Sun and 5th level Stone magic, and you change to Samurai, you can continue to learn 4th level Sun spells, but can only learn 2nd level Stone spells (5/2 = 2.5, round down to 2). This means that you can only learn Stone up to 6th level (12th level skill) unless you change to Warlock (which then allows you to study the skill at full level again) or Zenmaster (lets you learn all magics at full skill, but that's way too far towards the end game for most people.)

Hope this helps!

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 10:55 AM   #3
Magnus

Role Ascension P.16 (manual) says " If your character did not learn a skill or ability in that was or would have been available to them in their former role, they will no longer have the ability to learn it. However, once they have aquired a skill or ability, they may continue using and improving that skill or ability permanently, even if it isn't normanlly available to any of the new roles your character undertakes."

That seems to conflict with what I have read here?

It also says, " Until your character's level in the new role exceeds the highest level in any former role, he or she will only gain minimal hit points when they advance in level. If your character can learn spells, then they will no longer be able to learn any spells higher than their present level."

But present level in what? In that class or the new one?
Old 02-01-2001, 05:45 PM   #4
carg
The Magister

Both quotes of the manual are correct, but the first should mention that spell craft skills are not as effective anymore, even though you can still train them normally. It is right for all other skills and traits.
Learning spells has two constraints: you can't learn spells higher than your spell skill level AND you can't learn spells higher than your current role level. The second constraint is always true, not only after class change, but you won't notice normally because your spell skill will mostly be lower or equal to your role level. So conflict: no, confusion: yes.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 09:39 AM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

back to the top
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:20 PM   #6
Robalex
Dungeon Master

I'll try to answer Magnus' question by saying 1st that I'm playing with the patch. I switched my Lvl 11 Wizard to a Ranger. I had most Sun & Stone spells except Lvl 6 Petrification (Stone) & Lvl 5 Sun Spells + 1 Lvl 6 Sun spell. I have just reached Lvl 11 Ranger (by going to the crypt with 1 other --my Lvl 10 Priest turned Paladin). So far my Ranger has NOT gotten access to any of the missing Lvl 5 SUN spells & according to the post she should have. She did have 2 Vine spells (now 1) to get though. At Lvl 11 she leveled up & got back access her 5 Skill points, Ability & Hit points. Even at 1/2 the skill Lvls rounded down as Sazerac suggests the only choice she had at Lvl up were the Vine spells. I also ? why. & think the manual had it right. Can anybody help us both??
Robalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 01:00 PM   #7
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Sazerac specifically mentions that only spells from magicrealms native to the character's current role can be learned without encumbrance. That means that only vine spells can be learned by a ranger without any problems.