Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-10-2002, 05:01 PM   #91
Moni

"Early references to hosiery go back to the ancient Greeks. Workmen and slaves wore hosiery in ancient times, and Roman woman wore a short sock (called a soccus) in their homes. Silk or cotton socks were also worn in Japan and China for centuries.

Socks evolved into stockings in 12th century Europe. Breeches worn by men became close fitting, reaching from the waist to the foot like modern tights. Women wore stockings held up at the knee by garters.

After 1545 knitted stockings came into fashion, their seams were often ornamented by elaborate silk patterns, or "clocks". This term is still in use today as "fancy feet" the decorative seam treatments that were popular during the late 40's and early 50's.

William Lee, an English clergyman, made the first knitting machine in 1589. Silk and cotton were the popular fibers of the era. Silk of course was the choice of royalty as the discovery of the New World opened up trade in this rare and luxurious fiber.

There were many different ways to wear stockings. Silk stockings were sometimes worn several pairs at a time in cold weather. In the 17th century when large boots were in fashion, linen "boot hose" were worn to protect the silk stockings underneath. They had wide lace tops, which were turned over the boots. Men continued to wear silk stockings with garters until the end of the 18th century, but long trousers begin to appear and socks have been worn underneath ever since.

In the 19th century machine-made cotton stockings became available for women. After World War I (1914-1918) short skirts were fashionable and long silk stockings were worn again, once again, proving that fashion and skirt length determine hosiery fashion!

With the discovery and ultimate use of Dupont Nylon in the late 30's and early 40's, the primacy of silk in women's hosiery waned. Silk was ultimately replaced by nylon after the war. But it was not without challenges from other man made fibers such as Rayon, Bamberg, and Vilene.

Nylon stockings which became popular after World War II (1939-1945) and completely replaced the silk stocking usually had seams until the late 1960's. They were knitted flat and "fully fashioned" which means that they were shaped to fit the leg like modern sweaters. By decreasing the number of stitches as the stocking was knit towards the ankle, a garment was created that was "knit to fit".

By the early sixties, "fully fashioned" stockings were rapidly replaced by modern reinforced heel and toe seamless stockings. Seamless stockings are made on a circular knitting machines and are shaped by tightening the stitches. Hosiery is often described as being of a particular "denier", which means the thickness of the yarn. The gauge describes the number of stitches in a row.

In the 1960's when skirts were worn very short, many women began to wear tights (pantyhose) instead of stockings. To show, "a bit of stocking", was no longer accepted and while stockings fought for market share by becoming extremely long, they became nearly extinct as pantyhose gained in popularity.

We are fortunate in the year 2002 to have the benefit of many "stocking enthusiasts", who have kept this garment alive for many admirers."

Here is a link also to The History of Hosiery by Sid Smith, President and CEO of the National Association of Hosiery Manufacturers.

See how easy that was?

Nothing like I thought it would be lol I was thinking they originated in Asia Must have been the "silk" reference in the back of my brain, you know...way back there where impertinent information is stored? Enjoy. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-10-2002, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 09-11-2002, 05:00 AM   #92
Melusine
Dracolisk

Interesting read Moni! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2002, 08:39 AM   #93
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Bk Bk Bk BkAAACK!
Seriously, you have time to play around here in this forum, you'll need a better excuse than that lol. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I actually only post between work tasking and homework study. I take breaks but can't afford to always do the research Id like to [img]smile.gif[/img] I am totaly into womens knickers and their contents....errr that didn't sound right

Old 09-11-2002, 11:55 AM   #94
Moni

Not good enough! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I pulled up the above info in less than 5 minutes

Glad you liked it Melusine!

Old 09-11-2002, 11:58 AM   #95
Rokenn
Galvatron

Only thing I can add to this debate is that I am glad my gf is not heavy into makeup. She looks beautiful enough without it. But then I think most woman look much better without it [img]smile.gif[/img]