Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-08-2001, 05:14 PM   #11
Moni

LOL Saz!
Did this woman happen to tell you how old she is?!

Too funny!

Moni

Old 05-08-2001, 05:24 PM   #12
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Hey now, Let's not be to critical.
Maybe she has been down and out recently and really needs a break.
Her application was a shout out for some sympathy, and she needs a job
real bad. In my time i've written some pretty shameless cover letter's
to try to whine or sop my way in. It's never worked though. Once when I applied for a job at a museum in town I lied on the cover letter saying that
I had recently lost everything in a fire and life was really tough. Hey I needed a job and I had already been looking for months, the work was just dried up, not that i'm exactly what all employers are looking for ,but still...
I'd hire her!
Old 05-08-2001, 05:44 PM   #13
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
Hey now, Let's not be to critical.
Maybe she has been down and out recently and really needs a break.
Her application was a shout out for some sympathy, and she needs a job
real bad. In my time i've written some pretty shameless cover letter's
to try to whine or sop my way in. It's never worked though. Once when I applied for a job at a museum in town I lied on the cover letter saying that
I had recently lost everything in a fire and life was really tough. Hey I needed a job and I had already been looking for months, the work was just dried up, not that i'm exactly what all employers are looking for ,but still...
I'd hire her!

Just out of curiosity, would you still want to hire [her] if it were a he? I wouldn't hire a male or female that put that down on a cover letter, but for some reason, I think I would be sympathetic to a female doing it when I would probably be disgusted with a male putting that kindergarten drivel down.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

[This message has been edited by MILAMBER (edited 05-08-2001).]
Old 05-08-2001, 05:52 PM   #14
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Maybe I'm cold as ice here, but in the IT field, we don't have room for sympathy. We must have proven results. I have no doubt that this person is a good, kind person, and maybe someone worth while talking to, but in the field I'm in, you've got to produce a bit more than just that. Nowhere did she mention her certifications, skills, training, prior employment, etc...I'm sorry, but we've been burned too many times on this.

Now, if we were an employing agency, or a counseling service, then I may reconsider...at least get her in for an interview. As it was, the decision was out of my hands...my boss file-13'd it right after it came over the fax. AFTER making a copy of it and passing it around, though!

Point to be made: when applying for a job, make sure you don't become the "joke of the month" tacked on the wall in the personnel department.

Old 05-08-2001, 05:55 PM   #15
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Milamber, of course I would. I hope.
Old 05-08-2001, 05:55 PM   #16
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Well theres not many resumes in my field, but if someone came up to the job with that speech I'd hire them. Hopefully in summertime. I'd welcome them to framing proper heehee
Old 05-08-2001, 06:02 PM   #17
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Sazerac, I'm in the IT industry too, and I know how important qualifications
are. But in the original post it doesn't mention her qualifications. It's just a cover letter, an appendum to the resume so she can maybe let the employer know a little more about her. I rarely look at employee's resume's unless they have attached a cover letter, and for that matter never send out a resume without one. I find it to be very important when hiring. Hopefully of course the neccesary qualifications are on the resume!
Old 05-08-2001, 06:04 PM   #18
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Sorry Sazerac, did not fully grasp your second post, you did mention that she
did not have anything else attached, but it still did not say that in the first post. Please forgive me.
Old 05-08-2001, 07:58 PM   #19
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
This is not any kind of joke? I just can't imagine anybody doing that. Wow. When he was refering to his education as a qualification, was he still talking about Kindergarten? I mean seriously, if he is a Kindergarten grad, I'd give some serious thought to offering him a posisition.

Everything important I learned in kindegarten.
1. Naps are highly under rated.
2. Milk and cookies in the afternoon aren't a bad thing.
3. Does it really matter if you color in the lines?

------------------

"the merories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 05-08-2001, 08:17 PM   #20
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Sorry, all; I guess I didn't make that clear. That's ALL we got! Nothing else...no resume, no transcripts...just the letter. (sigh)

Live and learn!