Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2001, 07:16 PM   #1
aestra
Dungeon Master

Finally. I figure I have more reason to hate the mantraps than most. They completely obliterated my first, painstakingly developed party. That was before I found this website, and intelligently saved the game with the mantraps right up my behind. You can imagine the carnage...

Went in at daytime, saw them from a distance, and burning hazed and meteorstormed them to hell, ducking in to sling a spell and ducking out. They never knew what hit them.

Now, someone tell me there are only two of them?
aestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 07:59 PM   #2
Xignal
Drizzt Do'Urden

They usually come in threes or fours depending on your game difficulty setting. Keep your eyes open in the Shire - the other(s) is/are lurking somewhere nearby...

Xignal
Xignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 08:20 PM   #3
aestra
Dungeon Master

I'm on normal everything. There only seemed to be two this time around, but I'll keep an eye open and double save everything.

Vengeance will be mine!
Old 10-29-2001, 08:40 PM   #4
Tholarion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I had to kill four of them. My wizards and priest were 7th level, and all my warriors were 6th level barbarians. A few burning hazes and a couple meteor storms and I was back in town training up again. Just one burning haze is enough to put the game in turn-based mode, the meteor storm will pretty much kill them all very quickly.

-FF
Tholarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 09:00 PM   #5
aestra
Dungeon Master

I think there were two, cause I only remember picking up XP for two, although I'm not altogether sure. Which leads me on to a question:

Is there anyway to scroll back to see previous stuff that has scrolled off the main window? Getting XP for 6 players tends to wipe a lot off the text area, very quickly. (I know clicking the skull on the bottom right doubles the text box temporarily, but that's still not enough in some cases: X hits, Y takes damage, Y dies, 6 different characters get XP...)
Old 10-30-2001, 01:15 AM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

There's usually 3-4 mantraps that spawn just on the other side of the burned-out house (you can see them through the break in the trees). They are relentless and will pursue your hapless butts all over the Shire and beyond. The actual number you get is random, but dependent on the level of difficulty of the game. (I always play "hard" and "frequent spawn" and so I usually get 4.

I have seen the Mantraps in other areas of the Shire as well, as they are random spawns after the initial "planned" encounter before the castle. I was jumped by four of them near the entrance of the Dragonspire, and by two of them on the western exit of the Boogre caves (different games, though!)

And, of course, their larger cousins, the Jungle Lilies, are much more plentiful after you pass Brimloch Roon and start sojourning on the Enchanted Isle. By that time, though, you should be powerful enough that they're pretty much pushovers. Still, best not to take them lightly.

Cheers,
-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 03:09 AM   #7
Jazzid
Manshoon

If you want to read what has scrolled off the window just hold down the left mouse button on the skull button to the right of the text window and drag it upwards.

Cheers // Jazzid
Jazzid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 08:08 PM   #8
aestra
Dungeon Master

Looks like there are four mantraps in my game as well. Got jumped while talking to Erzebette, and scrambled a burning haze after just about surviving it's own lethal gas thing (while Erzebette was asking for a favour... like, I'm BUSY!). Killed it, got off a healing realm and was starting to load off cure poisons, when the second one turned up and turned my ravaged party into a pulp. Needless to say, the two mages were dead within seconds so there was no chance to toss a haze or a storm.

Loaded the game and went mantrap hunting... suffice to say I got my revenge
Old 10-30-2001, 08:10 PM   #9
aestra
Dungeon Master

Oh and thanks for the scrolling thing Jazzid!