Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 12-19-2002, 11:05 PM   #1
Daggerthorn
Elite Waterdeep Guard

When playing BG I like to roleplay as much as possible, that's why when I have Jaheira in my group, I'm in two minds if I should let her wear chainmail. If she's a druid and has lived in the forest all her life, shouldn't she only wear leather or at the most studded leather? I know she's allowed to wear chain, but would she? Same goes for Minsc. He's a barbarian, but once you put some plate on him he looks more like a palladin/knight type character. So the question is, would you not let them wear chain/plate even though their class allows it for the sake of roleplaying?
Old 12-19-2002, 11:14 PM   #2
lucius
Dungeon Master

when I first started playing I wanted to do the same but later on I found it much more easy letting them wear chain and plate, its really a personal question are you more serious about roleplaying if so dont give them the chain and plate but if you just want to play the game go ahead and give it to them.
lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 01:07 AM   #3
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Well minsc is a ranger who likes swords (meaning he must want to melee, and you can´t call yourself a full day melee fighter if you don´t wear at least chain mail) and he´s good aligned, so I think metal armor fits him just fine. But in a way you are right, he is more "uncivilized" type of NPC than Paladins are.

From rp POV, Jaheira shouldn´t wear chain.. but there is nothing that stops her though. And all that "remove the armor for ten seconds to cast two spells, then put it back on" stuff bores me. Shouldn´t putting that kind of armor on take at least a minute? Okay, those sort of things are hard to put into a user friendly computer game.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:43 AM   #4
Tristan Silverstar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Don't forget that Jaheira is a fighter/druid, which, for me at least, makes it perfectly acceptable. If there was some glitch where she was a straight druid and could wear anything other than studded leather at the most, then I'd understand your predicament. But in this case, there should be no problem. As for Minsc, it's up to you; you can give him plate mail if you want, but then he loses his hide in shadows/move silently ability (quite underrated in my opinion). Just go with what your heart tells you; there's nothing wrong with strict roleplaying, nor is there anything stopping you from power-playing. It's all a matter of choice [img]smile.gif[/img]
Tristan Silverstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 04:35 AM   #5
InsaneBane
Baaz Draconian

If the game supported it I would let Minsc wear 2 swords and NO shield. He is a ranger (ambidextrous) and he is a barbarian (shields are for those wimpy pala's). I have him wear only natural armour as well (Ankheg plate is the best).

I think the part about natural armour should go for Jaheira as well. Too bad she is not able (as far as I remember) to wear Ankheg.

Insane
Old 12-20-2002, 05:34 AM   #6
Grungi
Banned User

you got a short bio on each char, if that doesnt help you decide then its up to your own roleplay, therefore submit your own story for her, she is a fighter/druid so id say she was wearing chainmail quite happily, family heirloom or someat, personally i give her full plate where possible [img]tongue.gif[/img] .
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:32 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Aye, a fighter-druid would be considered as a "Knight of Nature" or something like that, so I think metal armor would be ok. As far as spellcasting goes, the only ones who are messed up by armor are the mage classes (mage, bard, etc.) and even then there are armors (much later in BG2, actually) that they can wear of elven origin.

Cheers,
-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 10:35 PM   #8
Daggerthorn
Elite Waterdeep Guard

And in roleplaying terms, I guess if Jaheira or Minsc set out on a journey as dangerous as this, realistically they'd probably wear armour?
Thanks guys, you've convinced me...so next time I'll get them to wear armour according to the in-game rules. Should be easier from now on...though admittedly I haven't finished BG yet.
Old 12-21-2002, 01:30 PM   #9
I wish my name was Baggins
Elminster

Is a two weapon fighting style available in BGII? Meaning using both at once like Drizzt and why do you think that they didin't put that in BG1?
Old 12-21-2002, 04:17 PM   #10
Vedran
Lord Soth

It is available.
At last! We can now create our own Drizzt's and equip them with Twinkle and Frostbrand (what has interesting implications).
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote