Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2002, 11:47 AM   #1
SomeGuy
Unicorn

What is the best tyoe of bard?
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 11:57 AM   #2
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

i say skald, or blade. jester is OKAY, but i dont like him that much.
thats just me though.
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 12:00 PM   #3
Nifft the Nimble

Do you have ToB installed?

At high levels with ToB, the best Bard is the Blade. By far.

If you do not have ToB, the best Bard is the Skald.

The Jester starts out as an interesting, powerful and fun Bard, but at high levels has the option of becoming just like every other Bard (in terms of what his song does).

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 12:03 PM   #4
Sir Exxon
Zartan

The Blade is best IMO, ToB or not. That is simply caused by the fact that he is a decent Fighter, as well as a good Bard.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 12:57 PM   #5
Lewzbel
The Magister

I'm using a Jester right now b/c 'jester' sounds cool. The confusion ability can keep you out of a lot of fights, ie your enemies end up killing themselves, and that is nice, but it cheats you out of experience points which may concern some people. I confused a skeleton warrior into killing a bone golem once. Saves you a difficult battle in the early going, but costs you 18000 experience. One thing that I wish he had was the ability to put 3 stars in dual wield. And that is what makes a blade nice. Bards get proficient with a lot of weapons, and it would be nice to use 2 at once.

A question for everyone...is 6th level the highest spell usable by a bard? If so, what sorts of improvements can we look for once they get that far? Do I have to wait for TOB?
Lewzbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 08:21 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Yep, Bards are stuck with only the first 6 levels of Wizard spells. It's handy for things like Dispel Magic and Lower Magic Resistance, because your Bard is always going to have a higher level than your Mage, but when it comes to the truly kickass spells like Abi-Dalzim's, Bards are left out in the cold.

What I'd like to see are 2 new Bard kits to replace the Jester and Skald. The Blade is pretty much a Fighter-Bard; so why not a Mage-Bard and a Thief-Bard?
Old 05-11-2002, 08:31 PM   #7
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I agree... with ToB a blade is by far the best.... because his WORST dissadvantage is removed with ease once you get the bard pool..... and I think that the Skald was made MUCH more useless with ToB... as the new song removes the cool advantages that Skald's get
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote