Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-09-2001, 05:25 PM   #21
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
I've been lurking for the past week or so, doing a lot of reading on this forum, and what I see troubles me. I've been reading regularly on this forum for over a year, and the last month or two has seen some big, and in my view, unwelcome, changes.
First, politics and religion are taking center stage. In general discussions these two things have always been around, but not to the extent they are now. And certainly not in the vitriolic vein that is prevalent of late. We have had many lengthy debates and discussions on both subjects, and these have been fruitful and civil. recently, I'm seeing a lot more tempers flaring and otherwise reasonable people becoming terse and nasty.
Second, it seems that many of the long-term board contributors are disappearing or taking long absences. I get the gut feeling that this relates directly to my first observation. Fact is, it's a good part of why I've been quieter than usual lately, I just don't see the point in getting into an argument with my friends.
There are reasons enough for people to be uptight and unhappy in the twenty-first century, and especially in the last month. Worldwide events that have touched, and will continue to touch, every single one of us. I've always looked at this board as a sort of borderless meeting place, without a given nationality or religion, where we can meet to talk and share and play. It saddens me to see that eroding, to see political and religious lines forming, dividing people who were happily jesting with each other just a fortnight ago.
Not that all is dark and dreary at Ironworks, not at all. The clans and story threads are great, there are still people posting jokes and just sharing stories from their lives. I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone stop having opinions or sharing their viewpoints, but I would ask you all to consider what you are saying before you post. Ironworks is, was, and will be the community that we make it. Please consider if what you are doing is contributing to the community that you want to be a part of.
Thanks for listening.

Cool Ab. Let's play and be naughty!! Who's gonna start!! (Frisks tail and leaps about excitedly.....)

------------------

Most Ecstatic and Exotic Mistress of the Illuminati
Old 10-09-2001, 05:26 PM   #22
H. Sedai

Well said, Absynthe. I've been on message boards/bulletin boards since the mid eighties and have seen this trend before. There is a natural ebb and flow to conversation. We all speak from what we know and what we care about. Many of the board veterans may either lose interest or get a life. Real life does intrude.

I'll do my best to be jovial and witty in my posts and responses. hehe In about a month, you'll be sick of me. As for the smiley faces, I don't use them because they seem to be a crutch for a lack of description. I'll go into that at a later date.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

Old 10-09-2001, 05:26 PM   #23
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Okay, as one of the apparently despised "new" members, let me say that I find the attitude of some of you older people personally insulting. You act as if this is rightfully your board, and that we are just getting in the way of your fun.

I am not stopping you from posting whatever the heck you want. Go right ahead. But don't just sit there, whining about the loss of the good old days. Post away!!!!!

Old 10-09-2001, 05:29 PM   #24
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Okay, as one of the apparently despised "new" members, let me say that I find the attitude of some of you older people personally insulting. You act as if this is rightfully your board, and that we are just getting in the way of your fun.

I am not stopping you from posting whatever the heck you want. Go right ahead. But don't just sit there, whining about the loss of the good old days. Post away!!!!!

Congratulations, Dio, you just threw me out. Have fun.

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 10-09-2001, 05:39 PM   #25
DawnChaser
Zhentarim Guard

Did I pick a bad time to catch up on what I have been missing? Have we been losing our "old-timers"? I have been away, but will be on more and more as I re-acclimate myself to the forum atmosphere.

"This trend saddens me! We must fight back with humor and togetherness!!!"

------------------

Old 10-09-2001, 05:42 PM   #26
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Congratulations, Dio, you just threw me out. Have fun.

Moiraine: Please do not leave b/c of such a thing. All Dio is saying is that if you do not like the present state of the board then post the topics you would like to see discussed. Are we to be blamed because we want to discuss a serious topic rather than a humorous or lighthearted one? This board is open to everyone. I don't see how anybody can complain about the 'feel' of the board when there is no one stopping them from posting how they 'feel'. Like Cloudy said, if you want to be humourous or lighthearted then do so, keep those threads afloat. No one ran these threads off the board, they just lost their interest for awhile.

If you want to discuss wood, then start a thread about it
If you want to tell jokes, then start a joke thread
If you want to talk about music, then start a thread.
But please don't complain that the threads that are there are not to your liking, that insults those of us that like those type of threads, and we are not complaining about the less serious threads!

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 10-09-2001, 05:43 PM   #27
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Moiraine, please join in some other threads, my friend.. I shall happily start some! This whole sniping at one another thing is getting old, fast.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 10-09-2001, 05:46 PM   #28
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Moiraine, please join in some other threads, my friend.. I shall happily start some! This whole sniping at one another thing is getting old, fast.

Cloudy

except no one is as good as me! my fair lady... **courtisely bow**

**murmurs to himself** yeah, that will have her confused for a while...
Old 10-09-2001, 05:49 PM   #29
Sir_Tainly

Quote:

Nice One mate!

I don't think you got the message at all its not about older members disliking new ones or any such crap, but just about how the forum has changed, as it inevitable will, and is it what people want? Ziroc puts a lot of work into this place, but even so the more users there are, the more the board will diversify and for those that came to the board when it was a smaller closer knit place, they feel differnetly now. Its the same with so many things that become popular..they have to change to accomodate the larger user base and often the people from the early days become disenchanted.

------------------
Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

[This message has been edited by Sir_Tainly (edited 10-09-2001).]

Old 10-09-2001, 05:53 PM   #30
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Feel free to start up whatever type of thread you would like. That's all it takes. Nobody makes people post any particular type of thread. If people are posting in a certain way, it is because that is what they are interested in.

Personally, I would not be here at all if not for the serious discussions.
Or because they are innundated and can't stand it anymore? Or the posts made, finally irritate or upset them enough to post back?

Just another perspective, and one that should be considered.

I for one, am off to find fun or UNpolitical social threads.. or make a few.. see you out there, Neb, Moiraine, and anyone else who cares to SMILE today!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."