Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-27-2001, 02:51 PM   #1
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

How do you defeat them damm mind flayers?. Do u need to have that spell that protects you from the death spells?. I just keep on being slaughtered. I managed to escape with half of my group and ran into the earth gollum who killed another. Its getting iritating. How can I fight them?

Warby
Old 09-27-2001, 02:54 PM   #2
Rikard

a cheesy tactic is to shoot a cloudkill into a room with mindflayers and then close the door

------------------
Behold he who stands before you

Almighty (shared) Leader of the OHF
Proud member of the Ancients Club
The one True Necromancer/Blade of the Laughing Hyena's
Last of the Ancient race known as the Red Fluffies
Summoner of Bunnies

"You can Run, You can Hide,
But you can never do both"

I'm Watching you...

Old 09-27-2001, 03:09 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I use the following tactic.

Summon 5 Skeleton Warriors, cast Death Spell on Uber Hulks, Skeleton Warriors make sushi out of the Mind Flayers. Your party can help too by assisting with ranged weaponary.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Paladin meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a bard and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 09-27-2001, 04:07 PM   #4
Lord Arn Dragonfire
The Magister

have u tried chaotic commands? I think it's a clericspell...cast that on a tank and rule or....
summon critters have the flayers follow u and block the way with the critters and kill the flayers with rangeweapons

If u r playing a Paladin and have all possible xp and speedboats try run and hit it's hard but fun
Old 09-27-2001, 06:06 PM   #5
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Also mordenkainens sword works well on them. Its immune to all of their attacks. If only the duration was longer. The skeleton warriors work nice but you need to make sure no umberhulks are demolishing them. if you use wizard eye you should be able to send in your summoned creatures to safely fight.
Old 09-27-2001, 08:02 PM   #6
Kitka
Dungeon Master

a cloudkill spell wil instantly kill all umber-hulks. that makes life easy. if you want to toe up to illithid, carry potion of genius in a quickslot, as what kills you is having intelligence of less than 3. if you see the little red curly symbol on a char, check the stat page to see what your intelligence is. if lower than 9, drink up a potion of genuis.
Old 09-28-2001, 12:03 AM   #7
Luther
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Arn Dragonfire:
have u tried chaotic commands? I think it's a clericspell...cast that on a tank and rule or....
summon critters have the flayers follow u and block the way with the critters and kill the flayers with rangeweapons

If u r playing a Paladin and have all possible xp and speedboats try run and hit it's hard but fun

Damn straight! Cast the cleric spell 'Chaotic Commands' on your men and the Illithids have NOTHING on you. You can carve through them at your leisure. Seriously, without their mind control/ mind damaging abilities they have no real offensive attacks on you, you can get through a vast number of them without a scratch (but still watch those umber hulks, they are tough cookies even without their confusion abilities).
Old 09-28-2001, 04:15 AM   #8
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

Cloudkill the Umber Hulks straight off, for sure. Chaotic Commands is standard procedure for psionic blast, but I think in the Underdark you also might be able to get some *salt water* to protect against psionics as well...

[If you're REALLY desperate (maybe short on good spells) and don't mind a little wimpiness, try putting an invis character or two in a doorway to block them out, and throw things at them.]
Old 09-28-2001, 05:19 AM   #9
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Rikard:
a cheesy tactic is to shoot a cloudkill into a room with mindflayers and then close the door

hmmm. i always use cloudkills to get rid of the hulks but the flayers themselves seem to have damn good magic resistance and are rarely hurt if at all.

Old 09-28-2001, 05:25 AM   #10
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Deathfog might work better than cloudkill.

I've also read somewhere that a single death spell can slay a few mindflayers at a shot, so it may be worth trying...I haven't tested it yet, though.