Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
ScatteredCiv
Welcomed New User

Default Question about Town Portals and resolution patch!

Hi guys, just a couple quick questions. First I installed the new 11kb graphic resolution patch, and am now playing it in 1280x1024. The screen has a black bar running along the bottom, and I can't remove it by stretching the screen (I don't have the option to stretch vertically for some reason - probably due to having an LCD monitor). Is this normal for playing in this resolution, or did I do something wrong?

Also, I noticed that in my start up game, all the cities are available to me; is this right? I played the game years ago, and it seems that to me this is not the way it should be. Any clarifications? Thanks for any help in advance; hopefully I hear from someone soon.

SC

Last edited by ScatteredCiv; 11-28-2007 at 12:12 AM.
ScatteredCiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:29 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Question about Town Portals and resolution patch!

Welcome to the boards, ScatteredCiv! May this journey through the Gael Serran prove even more enjoyable than the last...

I haven't tried the resolution patch, so I can't answer anything on that (yet ).

On the cities, however, IIRC they are all available at the start of the game. However, you can only create new characters in Valeia, so even though you can access the other cities, you can't actually do anything in them until you've got characters there.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:53 AM   #3
ScatteredCiv
Welcomed New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleau View Post

On the cities, however, IIRC they are all available at the start of the game. However, you can only create new characters in Valeia, so even though you can access the other cities, you can't actually do anything in them until you've got characters there.
Yeah, this is correct! Well, one question down! Thanks! Now to find out about the resolution switching.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:16 AM   #4
Bodka
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am using the patch and also get the black bar using 1280x1024...try 1280x960
(this works better than any other resolution as it is a linear increase from the 640x480 which the game is somewhat hardwired to)

By the way, I also recall not being able to see all the towns when I first played the game...but I also thought there was an "auto pick-up" button.

Last edited by Bodka; 11-28-2007 at 06:28 AM.
Bodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the boards!!!

Amazes me that we still get new members after all this time! Guess I shouldn't be surprised since W&W was and still is a great game!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
ScatteredCiv
Welcomed New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
Welcome to the boards!!!

Amazes me that we still get new members after all this time! Guess I shouldn't be surprised since W&W was and still is a great game!!!
Yeah, played it back in the day, when it was released; traded it after getting about a quater of the way through, and finally, after the terribly dismal Dungeon Lords, made me crave W&W one more time, this time for teh win! Ordered it off eBay for dirt cheap, and here I am!

Thanks people for the advice. I'll get back to you if I have any more questions.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
Bodka
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern
While the above is valid it is also sad to note that there are very few alternatives in the genre

I have just started off a new adventure ScatteredCiv (having not played from initial release like you), my party is performing well although they are not liking my attempts to feed them roasted salad at the moment! One small bit of advice; a short character is perhaps essential as my pixie has had to take lead to help me out of some tight spots...as well as into some! (it seems on WinXP there are a couple of places that tall characters have tremendous difficulty reaching)
Bodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:35 AM   #8
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board.