Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-19-2004, 10:41 PM   #11
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Dron_Cah:
Actually, Vasky, by saying its endothermic, we are saying it is "hot." It absorbs heat from it's surroundings into the system. We assume that hell itself is the system, rather than some kind of singularity in hell. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Point: Dron.
Actually Vaskez is right... something is endothermic when it is colder than its surroundings, and so draws in the heat from those surroundings...

So endothermic things are cold...
Old 11-20-2004, 01:36 AM   #12
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Not necesarily, Callum. (BTW, RR, I think I'm the chemistry student you were mentioning ) ANyways, in an endothermic reaction the system (hell) takes in heat from its surroundings. Now, people are in hell, therefore, they themselves are not the surroundings. Hell is perverbial, so it even having "surroundings" is baseless. Even so the point is moot. Nothing in hell is it's own surroundings, so we may gather that it is drawing heat from whatever is its surrounding (whether it has any or not, nevermind [img]tongue.gif[/img] ). Therefore, it is always getting hotter. Now, unless I have my basic theory wrong (which I dont [img]tongue.gif[/img] ), then what I argued earlier holds true. BTW, I know I'm a smartass, but I'm hyper, and haven't been able to very... me, today.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:31 AM   #13
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

You do realise we are arguing about Hell... that doesn't PHYSICALLY exist whether you believe it or not.

Having said that... the first reason you are wrong:
Hell can only get hotter if the surroundings have more heat to give to it. If there are no surroundings, then there is no heat to gain, and so Hell would remain cold.

Another reason you are wrong:
Even if something is getting hotter, it can still be cold. Picture an ice cube, if you would, taken out of the freezer. It is endothermic, and getting hotter, but it is still cold.

A third reason:
Hot and cold are relative terms. A hot body is one with more thermal energy than that that is around it. So even if Hell were incredibly hot, compared to room temperature, if it was still drawing in energy from the surroundings, it would be cooler than the surroundings. Therefore, if you were there, it would feel much colder than everything else.

Your move.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:13 PM   #14
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

All I know is I did A-level chemistry and during an endothermic reaction, the reacting materials got cold. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] thanks Callum for backing me up

What level are you studying chemistry at Dron? High school or university?
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 11-20-2004, 01:22 PM   #15
dplax
Jack Burton

An exothermic reaction is a reaction during which the energy of the surrounding universe increases. An endothermic one is where the energy of the surrounding universe decreases. Temperatures can vary differently as energy can come under different forms. For example when burning a piece of wood the reaction is exothermic, yet the wood's temperature also goes up. The energy is given by the breaking up of the molecules which are burnt.

An object can't be exo or endothermic, only a reaction can.

Old 11-20-2004, 01:28 PM   #16
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

...little too much time on his hands I think?
Old 11-20-2004, 03:09 PM   #17
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Aye, in your words, then, Callum, the hell would be unbelieveably hot. For, if it is indeed surrounded by nothing (A bold interpretation, for sure), then perhaps it is a vacuum from the effect the endothermic reaction is having upon it. Eh? And, for the ice cube analogy, the reaction there is not exponential, as we would need to signify this reaction. Also, I'm studying at university, Uncle Vaskey. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Anywho, this arguement is probably best described by Variol, lol! After all, we don't anything of the circumstances of hell (btw, thats a good thing! ). But, my point was, as we are talking about a place that doesn't physically exist, so we would be looking at an ideal, exponential system.
Anyways, on a different note, anyone watching the OSU Vs. Michigan game?

EDIT: Thought I'd mentioned, you can't really get this question wrong. So, everyone still gets the feel goods, lol! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-20-2004, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Dron_Cah ]
Old 11-20-2004, 06:24 PM   #18
Landon Contressior
Dungeon Master

if only i knew this exo endo thing a couple of years back. i would have gotten so much ass!
Old 11-20-2004, 06:35 PM   #19
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Lol nice joke! Although I am enjoying this banter taking place now!

Quote:
i would have gotten so much ass!
Well...that's nice to know boyo
Old 11-20-2004, 10:30 PM   #20
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Two things...

First, I like this version better than the contrary one. That one relies on an assumption, that since the young lady hasn't slept with him, that Hell hasn't frozen over. But it doesn't lead to the conclusion that all hell is breaking loose, either. This one wraps it all up nicely [img]smile.gif[/img]

Second, for reference, Hell freezes quite regularly between December and February every year. Sometimes it freezes early, and sometimes late, but it always freezes.

You can find it in the lower peninsula of Michigan, about 45 minutes west of Detroit.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.