Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-21-2004, 10:53 PM   #1
Maj
Drow Warrior

For Christmas I plan on getting one as a gift. And I was wondering what you guys recommend. I have to admit I don't know very much about them technologically. So which one is the best?
Old 11-21-2004, 10:57 PM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

From what I an tell, for a while Compaq have been in the lead with PDA technology but I have no idea of any of their names.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:33 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I recently switched from a conventional PDA to a smartphone... a Treo 600. Gives me PDA and cell phone capability, and I wouldn't be without it any more. Instant access to my entire address book, which is currently 2800. Once I get the office list again, it will shoot up to around 7000. Only downside for that many is the time to sync up

Handspring/Palm just came out with a Treo 650... so look around for deals.

If I were doing it again, I'd probably get one of the Kyoceras (I think)... they're also smartphones, but they have the ability to use Graffiti for data entry. I can only use the thumb keyboard, which is nice, but not overly fast.

Having said all that, what do you want to use a PDA for? That will dictate the direction you go to a great extent. I use mine exclusively as a PDA. I'm not interested in using it as a mini-PC, with word, excel, and so on, so a Palm-powered device works great for me.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:08 AM   #4
Maj
Drow Warrior

I don't think I'd want it as a mini-PC I do have a laptop if it comes to that... no I think I'd only use the word to take a couple quick notes. And use it as a PDA mainly.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:50 AM   #5
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Generally speaking, you have to main choice: PalmOS or Windows Pocket PC (sometimes also referred as Windows CE).

- In terms of application and games, both of them have their fair share of goodies.

- In terms of stability, I would go for PalmOS machines.

I had tried a couple of the IPAQ series and it is rather prone to hanging, especially when playing around with the Bluetooth seetings.

Also, my friend told me that the biggest problem with Windows PPC is that some of the programs don't run too well if reside in external storage (flash medias). Mainly program that runs on event triggering (for example, alarms and so forth) have the tendency to hang his IPAQ. On the other hand, his other PDA, Tungsten series run fine with programs that use event triggering.

If you want to go for Windows PPCs, go for the systems that has larger internal memory.

So far, My Sony CLIE is quite stable and only hang on me after very heavy use (gaming for example), but most of the time, it is rather robust.

- Thirdly, I think Windows PPC PDAs costs more than the ones running on PalmOS. Probably because there are more entry level PDAs on PalmOS compared to the ones running on Windows PPC.

- Media wise, both of the higher level models of the two types do support MP3 playback. I can't say which is better, but I would probably go with Windows PPC since it is bundled with Media Player.

- Lastly, my friend told me that although Windows PPC does support Words and Excel natively, DocumentToGo (PalmOS, not bundled on most system) does offer better functionality and compatibility. What an irony isn't it?

[ 11-22-2004, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 11-22-2004, 12:55 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Before I go off and start trying to convince you of one thing or another, I would first want to know what the cost limit is for your family?

How rich are you guys? Will you afford anything, or will you have to settle on a lesser device for cost, such as in my personal case?

[ 11-22-2004, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 11-22-2004, 04:37 PM   #7
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Oh, where I'm from 'PDA' stands for 'Public Display of Affection'. So I was going to recommend the classic, tried-and-true 'french kiss'. But I think I'm waaaay off track here no?
Old 11-22-2004, 04:41 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Blackberry.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:32 PM   #9
Maj
Drow Warrior

Thanks for all the advise so far, it is helpful.

Yes I probably should have mentioned that earlier. My family does have a budget. Probably wouldn't want to go over, let's say $300 (and that is the most, so lower is good too!).
Old 11-22-2004, 05:34 PM   #10
Maj
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Oh, where I'm from 'PDA' stands for 'Public Display of Affection'. So I was going to recommend the classic, tried-and-true 'french kiss'. But I think I'm waaaay off track here no?
[img]smile.gif[/img] Sorry for the confusion, lol!