Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Default US 'no' on Taiwan arms seen as sign of China clout

First Israel, now Taiwan, who's next, the American people?

http://news.yahoo.com/us-no-taiwan-a...111014713.html

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: US 'no' on Taiwan arms seen as sign of China clout

Quote:
The top U.S. diplomat for East Asia, Kurt Campbell, publicly confirmed in New York on Wednesday that the Obama administration will upgrade Taiwan's existing fleet of F-16s, postponing for now the sale of new models that Taipei sought. The decision brought a swift, angry denunciation from Beijing, where Vice Foreign Minister Zhang Zhijun summoned U.S. Ambassador Gary Locke to warn that exchanges between the militaries, security cooperation and overall ties will suffer.
Doesn't sound like it's cowtowing to China, since we're still in arms deals with Taiwan and China is still objecting.

That said, I can think of no two better places to completely quit selling arms than Israel and Taiwan. Taiwan, because they aren't a sovereign nation and because our "unique" relationship with them is rather unseemly. It's akin to having an arms deal with Canterbury while London objects. Israel, because we've been on the wrong side of the conflict for so long, and continue to be. As long as Israel keeps annexing and settling land, they're just being outright evil.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
Doesn't sound like it's cowtowing to China, since we're still in arms deals with Taiwan and China is still objecting.

That said, I can think of no two better places to completely quit selling arms than Israel and Taiwan. Taiwan, because they aren't a sovereign nation and because our "unique" relationship with them is rather unseemly. It's akin to having an arms deal with Canterbury while London objects. Israel, because we've been on the wrong side of the conflict for so long, and continue to be. As long as Israel keeps annexing and settling land, they're just being outright evil.
The Merkava 4 will take the M1A2 Export model in Egypt, Iraq, Saudi, Oman, and Syria....Oops, did I say that in my typing voice...

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
The Merkava 4
I'm not fluent enough here, but that's Israel's version of the Main Battle Tank?
Quote:
will take the M1A2 Export model in Egypt, Iraq, Saudi, Oman, and Syria.
Are you saying that the IDF's MBT will best the export MBTs we've sold to those countries? I would not doubt it in the least.

What's the point you're making?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
I'm not fluent enough here, but that's Israel's version of the Main Battle Tank?
Correct.

Quote:
Are you saying that the IDF's MBT will best the export MBTs we've sold to those countries? I would not doubt it in the least.
Correct.

Quote:
What's the point you're making?
You said stop selling to Israel, we are on the wrong side etc...

I was reassuring you that Israel has produced equipment on their own that exceeds the capability of what we have sold their Islamic neighbors.

Furthermore, I'm not sure of how much you know/care about how much money (cash) we give to some nations in the middle east to keep from slaughtering or becoming the slaughtered of their neighbors as opposed to how much hardware (export model) we sell to the neighbors of said countries to provide a sense of (false) superiority. It's a delicate triangle of international politics, and one day the cat is going to completely escape the bag, and that day my friend, is going to cause shame and embarrassment to whomever is sitting in the big house.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Old 09-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: US 'no' on Taiwan arms seen as sign of China clout

So when are we going to learn our lesson and quit messing around with the internal politics of other countries?

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azred View Post
So when are we going to learn our lesson and quit messing around with the internal politics of other countries?
If we traverse history, and apply lessons learned, it will not happen in my life time!

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Old 09-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
Correct.
I was reassuring you that Israel has produced equipment on their own that exceeds the capability of what we have sold their Islamic neighbors.
OK, and maybe this takes off on what your subsequent comments hinted at, but we (the U.S.) have contributed quite heavily to Israel's military overall.
http://www.worldpolicy.org/projects/...ael050602.html
You may note from that link that we not only outright gave Israel money to develop the Merkava MBT, but we also outfitted them with the largest fleet of F16's outside our borders. I will not deny that Israel is superb in developing its own warfare -- dating back to the Uzi and even prior to that. But, the fact remains that we spend a ton of money outfitting that little country with its small population with a significant amount of firepower to allow it to quell and/or subject those many enemies it has surrounding it.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
OK, and maybe this takes off on what your subsequent comments hinted at, but we (the U.S.) have contributed quite heavily to Israel's military overall.
http://www.worldpolicy.org/projects/...ael050602.html
You may note from that link that we not only outright gave Israel money to develop the Merkava MBT, but we also outfitted them with the largest fleet of F16's outside our borders. I will not deny that Israel is superb in developing its own warfare -- dating back to the Uzi and even prior to that. But, the fact remains that we spend a ton of money outfitting that little country with its small population with a significant amount of firepower to allow it to quell and/or subject those many enemies it has surrounding it.
I have no rose colored glasses, and fully agree. However, the other side of the dollar is how much we (USA) 'gives' to other countries in that region. Just saying, it ain't a lopsided debacle...From what I can see, from my vantage point is; if we withheld foreign "handouts" for 20-22 months, we could, with proper adult supervision, balance our budget, pay off our debts, fund our infrastructure repair contracts, and provide enough population stimulus to end our current depression.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Old 10-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
wellard
Dracolisk

Sad Re: US 'no' on Taiwan arms seen as sign of China clout

Quote:

That said, I can think of no two better places to completely quit selling arms than Israel and Taiwan. Taiwan, because they aren't a sovereign nation and because our "unique" relationship with them is rather unseemly.

Sorry to hear you have this view point Timber.

In the years since Ron Raygun used to be your president and had the balls to stand up to China publicly and practically, this acceptance of the China claim over a democratic country seems to be gaining ground.

Thankfully some of us are still wise to these '1984' type thought control methods.

Tibet anyone?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote