Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2004, 12:52 PM   #11
Dadams1
Drow Warrior

Quote:
That the hell is this? We cannot judge them? There are some things that are just right or wrong regardless of the situation. We can and do judge them as below beast.
Morality is not 100% certain in any situation.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:58 PM   #12
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

To me, the bottom line is that killing innocent children is wrong, no matter what the cause. I don't think there's anything in this world that can be used to justify the killing of innocent children. Two wrongs don't make a right. My 2c.

Old 09-06-2004, 01:18 PM   #13
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Agreement

Seriously, I know that this is probably the only tactic that works in the modern world, versus the highly trained military might of the major political powers, and that "children die everyday" but it's simply ridiculous to say that it's JUSTIFIED. IT IS NOT. Not now. Not tomorrow. Not next week.

To answer the initial question, these people are brainwashed, and highly trained. No country can be founded on the "principles" of terrorism regardless their "revolutionary" purpose.

[ 09-06-2004, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Ilander ]

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 09-06-2004, 01:32 PM   #14
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Dadams1:
No; doing what they did may seem to them as their only option. And since we've never been in their position, we cannot judge them. We can think it was wrong and a horrible thing to do, but we can't blame them at least until we know all the details and the consequences.
Do you know how insanely ignorant that statement is? Oh well, if they have a good excuse for murdering children, then by all means let them do it, that's pretty much what you're saying.

It doesn't matter what the reason is, there is no reason good enough to take the life of a small child. If you think otherwise, then go get your head examined.

My 2 cents.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:43 PM   #15
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Let's not gang up on DAdams1 here, y'all...address the viewpoint, sure, but personal insults probably aren't justified.

I do have a question of DAdams1, though:

Do you think the common Chechan agrees with the acs of a few terrorists? I certainly hope that the entire culture does not agree with it...

Oh, and if the culture does not agree with the extremist actions of a select few, then are those actions beyond judgement? When the entire world disapproves?

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 09-06-2004, 01:45 PM   #16
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

My feelings first, my blood is still boiling! I'll go after those terrorist' with only a bayonet if need be. Children are defenseless, and are the future, they are not the source of aggression, or dislike. And by NO means should they ever be the target of anybody! [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]

Children in the media bring out THE MOST World Wide Recognition there is, point blank. Just look at this thread alone. There is a lot of heart felt sorrow here, from scholars to soldiers, and every bit is about What, Who, and Why it happened. When an act of terrorism is performed, it is to get as much attention as possible, and to have nations tremble in their thoughts about what happened, and will it happen again.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:07 PM   #17
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I echo Felix in many ways. Personally, I find it reprehensible on many levels.

I can also see a couple of things that could be going on. It is possible that the hostage takers (HTs) felt that this was the only way that they could get someone to pay attention. They certainly got attention, but probably not support.

It is possible that the HTs felt that death was better than the life these children would be living. While it's arrogant and wrong for them to make that choice for someone else who is not their own flesh and blood, it can explain how they'd get to that point.

It's also possible that to the HTs, the children and other hostages were not people, but hostages. IOW, they were not human beings, but objects. Somewhat like the worgurs I killed playing W&W last night -- yeah, I killed something, but it wasn't real.

Now, to get to these last two stages, someone... somewhere... must have encouraged and directed these HTs to this line of thinking. THAT's the sick bastard or group of bastards I'd like to find... and Felix, if I had my druthers, there wouldn't be enough of 'em left to do DNA testing... Same goes for any HTs who are still alive.

Every so often, something in the old "Eye for an eye" justice system seems good and right... like now.

Unfortunately, to get rid of 'em, you've got to get rid of the source. And it's not the HTs, it's whatever allowed the HTs to develop. That's the challenge... finding and fixing that. Whose job is it? The Chechens? The Russians? The UN? The US? Some combination of all of the above, unfortunately. And getting 'em all to agree on something will be more than a wee bit difficult.

Now, don't anyone think I'm being soft on 'em, 'cause I'm not. But I do recognize the laws of cause and effect, and this tragic event is the effect, the symptom, of some other cause. That's where the problem really is.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:06 AM   #18
SecretMaster
Apophis

I agree with Calaethis. Sure in hell wasn't right, but do whatever it takes.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:43 AM   #19
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

They have gain attention alright. However they didn't win any support. Killing innocent young children is no way to win independence for your country.

[ 09-07-2004, 04:44 AM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Old 09-07-2004, 05:45 AM   #20
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

(I think that) Morality is 100% subjective. These insurgents achieved their goals of gaining worldwide media coverage for their cause. They were effective. In the long run, that is all that matters.