Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2003, 11:25 PM   #1
Chewbacca
Zartan

http://english.aljazeera.net/topics/...&parent_id=258

Yeah, I know it is Al Jazeera, but What is up with this propaganda or is it?

Quote:
“Some of my colleagues are virtually certain that there will be some
weapons of mass destruction found, even though they might have to be planted,” said retired CIA intelligence analyst Ray McGovern. He told the AFP that he believes that some amount of banned weapon will be found but not, “by any stretch [that] would justify the charge of a threat against the US or anyone else.”
Huh? what retired cia analyst would admit to planting evidence, they must have made that guy up!

So anyway... will we see Hans Blix back in Iraq to finish the job?

I like this irony:

Quote:
To begin the rebuilding process however, sanctions must be removed. Ironically, to remove the US-led sanctions the US will need the support of the UN, the same UN that the US seems to be jockeying out of the picture.
Although the polled American public seems unswayed by the sudden change for the reason of the war from womd to liberaton, it seems those other nations (the united ones) we snubbed are going to hold the Coaliton to all of their principled reasons to start a war. I'm curious to see it all unfold.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:52 AM   #2
MagiK

Ok after doing some records searching, what I have found out about "Ray McGovern". He is a disenfranchised wannabe that was let go because of incompetence. Ever since his severence he has been a vocal opponent of the CIA. Basicly from what I can see he is to the CIA what that French Guy who wrote the article I posted earlier is to France.

[ 04-18-2003, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]
Old 04-18-2003, 09:57 AM   #3
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Huh? what retired cia analyst would admit to planting evidence, they must have made that guy up!
He is a real guy. He was a CIA analyst for 27 years and is on the Steering Group of Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity. He is co-director of the Servant Leadership School, an outreach ministry in the inner city of Washington. He has an email address at mcgovern@counterpunch.org

Among other things, he blames the CIA for "caveing in" to the demand for a link between Iraq and al-Qaeda, and he thinks that George Tenet (Director of the CIA) is under controll of the Bush administration. I would not be suprised at all if he actually said that.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 10:08 AM   #4
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph:
quote:
He is a real guy. He was a CIA analyst for 27 years and is on the Steering Group of Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity. He is co-director of the Servant Leadership School, an outreach ministry in the inner city of Washington. He has an email address at mcgovern@counterpunch.org

Among other things, he blames the CIA for "caveing in" to the demand for a link between Iraq and al-Qaeda, and he thinks that George Tenet (Director of the CIA) is under controll of the Bush administration. I would not be suprised at all if he actually said that.
[/QUOTE]I've heard about this guy before. He first appeared on the scene by saying that the events of 9/11 could have been prevented but weren't and also later claimed that Tenet caved in do display a link between Iraq and the Alqaeda.
Rimjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 11:22 AM   #5
Lil Lil

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
http://english.aljazeera.net/topics/...&parent_id=258

Yeah, I know it is Al Jazeera, but What is up with this propaganda or is it?

quote:

“Some of my colleagues are virtually certain that there will be some
weapons of mass destruction found, even though they might have to be planted,” said retired CIA intelligence analyst Ray McGovern. He told the AFP that he believes that some amount of banned weapon will be found but not, “by any stretch [that] would justify the charge of a threat against the US or anyone else.”

So anyway... will we see Hans Blix back in Iraq to finish the job?

I like this irony:

Quote:
To begin the rebuilding process however, sanctions must be removed. Ironically, to remove the US-led sanctions the US will need the support of the UN, the same UN that the US seems to be jockeying out of the picture.
Although the polled American public seems unswayed by the sudden change for the reason of the war from womd to liberaton, it seems those other nations (the united ones) we snubbed are going to hold the Coaliton to all of their principled reasons to start a war. I'm curious to see it all unfold.

[/QUOTE]Did you hear Donald Rumsfield yesterday? "I don't think we'll find any WoMD"
According to him, the people of Iraq will be pointing out where they are, provided any of them were left alive by the regime.

The coalition has to prove that they exist in order to quell the anger they caused in the U.N. for going in without total approval (and it has already been "proven" that the countries hindering total approval via the U.N. were commiting crimes in their dealing with the regime in spite of the U.N. imposed sanctions). Never mind that the "agricultural pesticides" were neither stored as they should have been had they been intended for agricultural use nor were they stored near any agricultural areas or facilities that could have used them. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

There are work-arounds if progress is hindered. It was assumed long ago that anything and everything found (that is proven to be part of a WoMD plan) will be suspect to having been planted...we live in a politically paranoid world...this guy feeding propaganda to Al-Jazeera is just more proof of that. [img]smile.gif[/img]

No matter how right you are, there will always be someone willing to stand up in front of everyone and say that you are wrong.

[ 04-18-2003, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Lil Lil ]
Old 04-18-2003, 11:33 AM   #6
Davros
Takhisis Follower

It makes sense to plant some early then, and get the argument underway about whether they have been planted or not. The longer it takes to find anything, the less trust there is going to be out in the community and the more unbelievable will be the discovery. Sure it's telling some lies, but I would rather do that now than tear countries apart over and over again over this same issue. What is it really going to matter in the end who was right, and are we really better off knowing the truth?
Old 04-18-2003, 11:52 AM   #7
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

Yahoo News has another article here
Rimjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 04:39 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

No WoMD need be found ever. Saddam said they existed in UN Resolutions, so technically - as far as anyone but Saddam was concerned - they *did* exist. So, there was understandable concern, anger, and -yes- war following his inability to produce and destroy weapons HE STATED IN WRITING did in fact exist.

If none are found, it simply means there is one more lie on his heap of lies.

Oh, and it is true that the US must petition the UN if it wants to sell oil in ways the Iraq could not (i.e. still cannot). Just because the regime changed doesn't mean Iraq gets to scrap all its old obligations. Of course, Bush will likely find a way to circumvent this altogether and ignore the UN on the issue, thereby assisting Iraq in violating international law.

[ 04-18-2003, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 04-19-2003, 10:05 PM   #9
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Saddam said they existed in UN Resolutions, so technically - as far as anyone but Saddam was concerned - they *did* exist. So, there was understandable concern, anger, and -yes- war following his inability to produce and destroy weapons HE STATED IN WRITING did in fact exist.
I thought that the Iraqi weapons declaration stated that all the WoMD were destroyed, or believed to be destroyed (meaning they didn't know where they were)? I am aware of the UN stateing that Iraq was in violation of disarmerment, but wasn't that was due to the fact that they couldn't prove they destroyed all the weapon?
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 02:15 AM   #10
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
No WoMD need be found ever. Saddam said they existed in UN Resolutions, so technically - as far as anyone but Saddam was concerned - they *did* exist. So, there was understandable concern, anger, and -yes- war following his inability to produce and destroy weapons HE STATED IN WRITING did in fact exist.

If none are found, it simply means there is one more lie on his heap of lies.

Oh, and it is true that the US must petition the UN if it wants to sell oil in ways the Iraq could not (i.e. still cannot). Just because the regime changed doesn't mean Iraq gets to scrap all its old obligations. Of course, Bush will likely find a way to circumvent this altogether and ignore the UN on the issue, thereby assisting Iraq in violating international law.
Dude.

I mean no disrespect, just some good natured ribbing.

He also stated that they didn't exist, right before the invasion. The war was officialy because of supposed WoMD that Saddam said he destroyed.

Every tussle we've gotten into leads me to believe you stand by your convictions and beliefs, that Saddam DID posses WoMD, but it seems now that there is a possibility the "loopholes" start appearing, justify the reason for the reason.

IF (and that's a big IF) WoMD aren't found, then Saddam was telling the truth, and the coalition reasoning behind the war wrong, lie or no lie.