Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 05-10-2001, 12:23 AM   #1
Gargoyle
Manshoon

I was just wonderin what people thought the best fight in the game was, I know this may contain *Spoilers* so some folks may want to refrain from reading if they aren't to far into the game, when I mean best I dont necacerilly mean the toughest or based on what you get out of it in terms of items or reputation, some of the fights may have just been so rewarding that you just had to smile and think to yorself God Damn its a beautiful day and i feel great !

Huuhum, anyway......

------------------

Time is only relevant if you have none !
Old 05-10-2001, 01:22 AM   #2
Cayle
The Magister

It is a tossup- Twisted Rune and the Demon Plane. Spoilers below.

Twisted Rune: I tried this fight several times at lower level and got blasted to pieces. I thought a bit about strategy, went in at higher level, and took them with no reloads. Loved it! It is one of those really intense chaotic battles. I think I was 11th or 12th level and in ch3 when I did this battle.
The party was:
Cayle (Stalker)
Minsc
Jaheira
Aerie
Nalia
Viconia << Left the party during a lull in the fighting.

Demon Plane: With another party, I had an even bigger, more intense battle. At risk of repeating myself, I posted this In reply to Darkskymoon’s “Devils at the Planar Sphere” thread a couple of days ago. One of the best battles I ever had in BG2 was here. It was right up there with the T"§$%&d R"§e. My potion buffed Cavalier and Amonen had boosted to 23/24 STR, stoneskin, etc. Our summoned pets were Fire elementals and skeletons. Our little army charged and took down the first group. PC and Anomen hacking away, Val on the bow dealing with imps, J on the sling doing likewise and Aerie/Nalia really going at the demon with wands of lightning. Afterwards, the beasties saw imps, salamanders, whatever in the fog of war and took off after them. We followed and it was a running battle across the whole board. MASS MELE, WHOOHOO! It was almost like playing one of those real time strategy games. We cleared the whole board in about 1/2 hour of real time (including paused head scratching time). Usually I am content with a single demon heart and I drag my battered party back into the sphere. Usually, I have a battle, move on, fight another battle, etc. This one really did turn into a mass melee across the whole map. Afterward, I saved the game and just sat there for a few minutes.

------------------
- Cayle
Old 05-10-2001, 01:34 AM   #3
boran_blok
Dungeon Master

My best fight was kangaxx, When I fought with him I couldnt even hit him cous I had nobody with a +4 or higher weapon I REALLy started to panic cous I hadnt any saves left from before the fight .. but then dunno exactly how I did it , wrong button or so .. i casted reflect magic .. he casted death spell and fried himself ... that was without doubt the best moment in the game so far (but i'm going to solo as a pure kensai only using katana's (celestial fury is the maximum) I really wonder how I can beat him that way ... (without using the slayer ...)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-10-2001, 03:55 AM   #4
Lord Shield

I love slaughtering those pompous adventurer groups. The ones in the sewers were fun

Old 05-10-2001, 05:15 AM   #5
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Cayle:
It is a tossup- Twisted Rune and the Demon Plane. Spoilers below.

Twisted Rune: I tried this fight several times at lower level and got blasted to pieces. I thought a bit about strategy, went in at higher level, and took them with no reloads. Loved it! It is one of those really intense chaotic battles. I think I was 11th or 12th level and in ch3 when I did this battle.
The party was:
Cayle (Stalker)
Minsc
Jaheira
Aerie
Nalia
Viconia << Left the party during a lull in the fighting.

Demon Plane: With another party, I had an even bigger, more intense battle. At risk of repeating myself, I posted this In reply to Darkskymoon’s “Devils at the Planar Sphere” thread a couple of days ago. One of the best battles I ever had in BG2 was here. It was right up there with the T"§$%&d R"§e. My potion buffed Cavalier and Amonen had boosted to 23/24 STR, stoneskin, etc. Our summoned pets were Fire elementals and skeletons. Our little army charged and took down the first group. PC and Anomen hacking away, Val on the bow dealing with imps, J on the sling doing likewise and Aerie/Nalia really going at the demon with wands of lightning. Afterwards, the beasties saw imps, salamanders, whatever in the fog of war and took off after them. We followed and it was a running battle across the whole board. MASS MELE, WHOOHOO! It was almost like playing one of those real time strategy games. We cleared the whole board in about 1/2 hour of real time (including paused head scratching time). Usually I am content with a single demon heart and I drag my battered party back into the sphere. Usually, I have a battle, move on, fight another battle, etc. This one really did turn into a mass melee across the whole map. Afterward, I saved the game and just sat there for a few minutes.

I really dont know why some ppl go to so much trouble to get all hyped up for the demon fights in the planar sphere. I just walk up with the fighters in my group and kill em. nothing fancy just slice and dice. whats the big hassle. its one of the easier big fights of the game

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-10-2001, 06:04 AM   #6
Halbred
The Magister

I think the fight with the baddies upstairs where you get the Katana called C -------- F------
Old 05-10-2001, 08:02 AM   #7
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
I love slaughtering those pompous adventurer groups. The ones in the sewers were fun
I agree. The battles where you face a group that have similar abilities are the best. This one, Celestial Fury, and the party in Firkraags dungeon stick out the most, there are a couple of others as well.

As for Twisted Rune; did it first time eventhough I didn't know what to expect Yeah ok, I cheesed it. Strange thing is it took me 3 tries on my next game, even though I was at a higher level.

Kangaxx just p******* me off, I had to cast protection from undead on everyone, which made it too easy.

There's something to be said for killing your first dragon, but after that it ain't so fun.

And the final battle.....
Old 05-10-2001, 08:33 AM   #8
Pennance
The Magister

I will also have to go with the various adventurer groups that you find in the taverns and in the sewers. Why were they the best you ask? Well aside from them rewarding you with no reputation decrease for basically slaughtering them, you also got to plunder their stuff! But the best part was killing them all like this...Jaheira: Entangle, Aerie: Stinking Cloud, Hero: Cloudkill. Then all you do is just sit back and let the magics do their work as those poor bastards squirm until dead. God forbid one escapes because then there's 5-6 guys to pounce on them. MUWAHAHAHA!

Oh yeah, and I like the battle in De'Arnise Keep. Tons kills and plenty of spills!
Old 05-10-2001, 09:20 AM   #9
Cayle
The Magister

I tend to find those adventuring groups easy as well. Hit them straight off with multiple web/entanglement/stinking clouds (go for overkill here) and they are a breeze. If you have to save vs two webs and an entanglement, your odds are not good. You do get good equipment from them though, sort of like going to the store with a credit card .

But I must admit, I found them all very hard in the beginning. The problem lies with the AI. Spellcasters ALWAYS take a round to buff themselves or their friends, meaning that you always have a free round for a web/entanglement/stinking barrage. If they opened with an offensive move (MM for instance), it would get ugly

------------------
- Cayle
Old 05-10-2001, 10:26 AM   #10
Lord Shield

If you make your party invisible, or use a stealthed thief, the first spell they use is Truesight. Now, how do they know someone is invisible nearby to cast that spell, eh? Your own party can't do that! (cheat in favour of computer there) - also, computer-operated thieves can backstab from the FRONT!, whereas yours cannot