Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 08-02-2002, 09:00 PM   #1
Darkon Blackblood
The Magister

This will sound crazy at first but hear me out.
First some basic rules for this combo

1. Darts have a RoF (Rate of Fire) of 3 per round which because a round is 6 seconds long that is 1 dart every 2 seconds.

2. Darts roll a 1d3 die when determining damage, which means that they average 2 damage per hit.

3. According to the new rules pretaining to archers after level 18 that they receieve +1 to hit and damage, at level 34 (the max ranger level), an archer should have +9 to hit and damage.

4. At the level of Grand Master a character gains +3 to damage.

The Reasoning
An Archer of the 34th level who is grandmastered in dart on an average attack, with an unenchanted dart, will deal 14 damage. At this rate the archer deals, on average, 42 damage per round. Now, if the archer were to use his called shot ability, that would add and extra 6 damage per round taking it up to 48. But, called shot lasts for ten seconds, which adds and extra 2/3's of a round or, on average, adds 32 damage for a total of 80 damage every 10 seconds.
That is assuming you used a normal unenchanted dart.
When I tested this I used the Crimson Dart +3, which adds a +3 damage (I think) and returns to the thrower's hand. This, over the course of 10 seconds, in which you could through five darts, adds 15 damage (3x5) for a total of 95 damage in 10 seconds.
This is assuming that your THAC0 is good enough (which it should be) to hit things, and you rolled a 2 on your 1d3 five straight times, (or had it average out to 2, which is most likely), and you got no critical hits or misses.

Now for an example you (being the luckiest person ever) rolled a 3 every time, and got 5 strait critical hits, this would be the damage total.

3(from damage roll) + 9(for being a 34th level archer) + 3(for being a dart grand master) + 2(for called shot) + 3(for the Crimson Dart +3) x 2 (for a critical hit) x 5(for the amount of darts thrown in the called shot period) = 200 in 10 seconds.

My math might be off, but i think that a dart wielding archer might be a great character
Old 08-03-2002, 01:39 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Tuigan Bow will deal more damage, but a Darter will be a nice character to roleplay.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 01:48 AM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Um, can we promote you directly to Elminster for figuring all that out?

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 08:37 AM   #4
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Hmm, I can imagine, the BG world dart championships (hosted by gamespy). Incidentally, does your darter quaff a lot and not do a lot of exercise? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 09:37 AM   #5
Darkon Blackblood
The Magister

I know with the correct specs. and a different choice weapon the archer could deal more damage with a bow, I was just trying to make a point that even with a weapon that most people consider useless, you can still aceive great damage, and have alot of fun while doing it.

I've also had Kensai's weild dual daggers (Not as fun as the dart archer)
Berserkers with short swords (No fun)
and other such things, but this was the most fun and affective
Old 08-03-2002, 09:51 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Actually, I do use Darts. I use Darts with the Assassin. 3 attacks per round and their Poison Weapon ability is a very hilarious combination. The inflicted enemy is poked and choked to death.

When I had a roleplay party( Robin Hood theme), Will Scarlett dualwielded daggers. He was a dualclassed Fighter->Thief, and the highlight of his career was poking Firkragg to death with a dagger... Many enemies were poked to death by him, even if Robin Hood( Archer) and John Little( Fighter) killed more.

[ 08-03-2002, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Old 08-03-2002, 08:42 PM   #7
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Actually, I do use Darts. I use Darts with the Assassin. 3 attacks per round and their Poison Weapon ability is a very hilarious combination. The inflicted enemy is poked and choked to death
assassin poison ability + asps nests aint a bad combo
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 09:39 PM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
I run into a dilemma everytime I have a couple of Asp's Nests. When to use it... especially since there is a very limited supply of them. Kinda dumb really, but unless there is a vast amount of them being sold, I rarely use a certain type of ammunition.
Old 08-03-2002, 11:01 PM   #9
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
I run into a dilemma everytime I have a couple of Asp's Nests. When to use it... especially since there is a very limited supply of them. Kinda dumb really, but unless there is a vast amount of them being sold, I rarely use a certain type of ammunition.[/QUOTE]Aye, I know exactly what you mean.. I hoarded Asp's Nests, Arrows of Piercing and things like that so much that I never once used them!

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 10:17 AM   #10
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

lol, that's not even adding in strength bonuses to damage assuming 18 str (a ranger would have higher str anyway) it's an additional 2 pts per attack, drop improved haste on him, and who needs whirlwind attack