Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2001, 12:12 PM   #1
MagiK

This is a serious inquiry as to the thoughts of the people it pertains to.

Thanks to Mel's thread and others, I noticed that most people on here are anti-death penalty due to the immorality of taking a sentient life, that most are anti-violence as in actions that should be taken in the war on terrorists and it appears that most are anti-gun and or hunting.

I personally am Pro Death Penalty and believe that some people need to be put out of societies misery, and I also believe that there is a time and a place where you go in and level the enemy with whatever weapon gets it done with minimum of friendly casulaties.

I do not understand how so many of you who are against violence and carnage can support the existance of games which promote just this kind of thing. Diablo, BG, pretty much any D&D type CRPG revolves around massive destruction of (supposedly) living (and some times undead) beings and not to mention First Person Shooters. I would think that you would prefer games that didn't involve violence. I realize that it is a "fantasy" setting but still violence gloified and used as a way to advance in a fantasy setting would to me be anathama if I were opposed to it in real life.

I hope I get some serious replies and not just flames from certain rather rude persons on here. I am interested in the Psychology of the "gamer" Thanks for your insights and thoughts in advance.

Pax

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

[This message has been edited by MagiK (edited 09-21-2001).]

Old 09-21-2001, 12:34 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Dear MagiK,

Just up front, FYI, I am neither pro nor con death penalty or violence as it is; I think the necessity varies from situation to situation. I've always viewed such measures to be like surgery: unpleasant, but sometimes necessary as a last resort when other conventional techniques do not or have not worked.

Now, on CRPG's...Since they're a simulation, I think a lot of people use them to work out aggressions that they would otherwise harbor in RL. Kind of like pounding a pillow or beating on a punching bag. I know that in games, I always try to find the peaceful solution (since I always play "good"; I've never been able to play "evil" for some reason; I've tried, but I always lose heart or interest). However, that doesn't prevent me from drawing the sword and whacking the baddies, if there's no other way.

I believe it's important always to maintain a healthy respect for life. I also believe when others violate that respect for others' life, it's time for a re-evaluation of the position for that particular situation. Life is not black and white, and one solution will not work for all instances, as much as we would like it to because it is easy way out.

I have more to say here, but it's time for me to go teach class. I may post more later on.

Cheers,

------------------
Old 09-21-2001, 12:51 PM   #3
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I personally think we should not kill, because our judgement may not be the right one. and by killing, we take away their right to return to the light

just do what Britan did... when our technology is advanced enough, send them to Mars...
Old 09-21-2001, 01:00 PM   #4
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

I personally am Pro Death Penalty and believe that some people need to be put out of societies misery, and I also believe that there is a time and a place where you go in and level the enemy with whatever weapon gets it done with minimum of friendly casulaties.

Personally, I hardly play any games, and certainly not the type you describe here! (Although about 10 years ago I was very fond of a game called Astrofire, where you shoot at asteroids and other things that whirl about....)

But I am VERY interested in this idea of 'friendly casulties'. Would that be a casualty who has a smile and a friendly word for his foes, no matter what the circumstances of injury were?

How very intriguing.......

------------------
Old 09-21-2001, 01:05 PM   #5
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Dear MagiK,

Just up front, FYI, I am neither pro nor con death penalty or violence as it is; I think the necessity varies from situation to situation. I've always viewed such measures to be like surgery: unpleasant, but sometimes necessary as a last resort when other conventional techniques do not or have not worked.

Now, on CRPG's...Since they're a simulation, I think a lot of people use them to work out aggressions that they would otherwise harbor in RL. Kind of like pounding a pillow or beating on a punching bag. I know that in games, I always try to find the peaceful solution (since I always play "good"; I've never been able to play "evil" for some reason; I've tried, but I always lose heart or interest). However, that doesn't prevent me from drawing the sword and whacking the baddies, if there's no other way.

I believe it's important always to maintain a healthy respect for life. I also believe when others violate that respect for others' life, it's time for a re-evaluation of the position for that particular situation. Life is not black and white, and one solution will not work for all instances, as much as we would like it to because it is easy way out.

I have more to say here, but it's time for me to go teach class. I may post more later on.

Cheers,

I agree with everything you said. From your stance on the Death Penalty to not being able to play evil parties, I just loose interest. Thank you for the info.

For me being pro-death penalty doesn't mean I want to run around and just execute every shoplifter.

------------------

Old 09-21-2001, 01:06 PM   #6
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
I personally think we should not kill, because our judgement may not be the right one. and by killing, we take away their right to return to the light

just do what Britan did... when our technology is advanced enough, send them to Mars...
britan sends its criminals to Mars?? Umm could I hitch a ride on the ship some time???

------------------

Old 09-21-2001, 01:07 PM   #7
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
britan sends its criminals to Mars?? Umm could I hitch a ride on the ship some time???

no, they sent them to America
Old 09-21-2001, 01:08 PM   #8
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Personally, I hardly play any games, and certainly not the type you describe here! (Although about 10 years ago I was very fond of a game called Astrofire, where you shoot at asteroids and other things that whirl about....)

But I am VERY interested in this idea of 'friendly casulties'. Would that be a casualty who has a smile and a friendly word for his foes, no matter what the circumstances of injury were?

How very intriguing.......

Friendly Casualties as in non-combatants, people on your own team or neutral parties better?

------------------

Old 09-21-2001, 01:09 PM   #9
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
no, they sent them to America
ohhh I thought that was Australia And look how they turned out quite a nice bunch of folks down there

------------------

Old 09-21-2001, 01:40 PM   #10
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Well for me it all depends. The death penalty is needed in some cases, and in other it isnt. Depends on the Crime.

As for the game subject, I agree with you, how can people play a Bhall Spawn, of all things, Born of murder its self, and be agaisnt the death penalty?

I know its a game, but still realaites to personal veiws.

I am very anti-anti hunting. Meaning that I hunt often.

Do any of you know what would happen if you let 2000 calfs run wild? If you did you would not be for anti-hunting/Anti-meat eating and all that otehr anti stuff.

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Messenger of the Emerald Dragon

May a pregnant yak chew on your ear for all eternity.