Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Balintherlas posed a very timely question about the movie "V for Vendetta" on the Books & Movies thread. Oh, the point he raised may be found here, for ease of reference.

He claims that the theme of the movie is anarchy fighting against the State and how that might not be received well during this time of terrorism. I can see his point of view, but I think that such a message is particularly important right about now, what with the recent coming-to-light of all the domestic spying being conducted on American citizens under the guise of "keeping us safe".

No amount of domestic spying will keep us completely safe. No amount of anything will bring about that. I would rather run the risk of chemical or biological attack than having all my e-mails read and my phone calls recorded. Why? Because the only true freedom from terrorism comes from living without fear.

There are people who are truly afraid these days of speaking out against the Government, probably because they are afraid of being singled out or other people derisively remark that such people are "unpatriotic".
I don't particularly have anything against the War in Iraq or Afghanistan; neither do I believe that we were lied to about the reasons for engaging in the conflict in the first place.
I do have something against the way things are when people feel they can't or shouldn't speak their minds, though. If the Founding Fathers felt that way, then the country probably wouldn't be here, at least not in any version we would recognize.

The first five rows of any political convention or speech should always be reserved for hecklers. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:16 AM   #2
Stratos
Vampire

I haven't seen the movie yet, but doesn't the original comic depict V as an anarchist while he's more "constructive" in his political philosophy in V for Vendetta?
Old 03-20-2006, 02:32 AM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

You realize that by putting the words anarchy, Iraq, and terrorism in the same post you have put everyone on this forum under suspicion? [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]

Btw, I agree with everything you said above. The nature and extent of civil discourse on the actions of one's own government are one of the major indicators of freedom.

... and I don't care who knows my views on the subject. You hear that, you CIA lurker? /paranoid
Old 03-20-2006, 07:09 AM   #4
Stratos
Vampire

Isn't there a form of civil war in V for Vendetta as well?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:38 AM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, the USA is stepped in Civil War throughout the movie.

I believe the easiest way to sum up my view on whether this movie is timely or appropriate is:

REMEMBER, REMEMBER THE 5TH OF NOVEMBER!!
Old 03-20-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
You realize that by putting the words anarchy, Iraq, and terrorism in the same post you have put everyone on this forum under suspicion? [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]

... and I don't care who knows my views on the subject. You hear that, you CIA lurker? /paranoid
If I were really that worried I would encrypt my messages with an algorithm the CIA/NSA most likely could not crack in any reasonable amount of time. Of course, I'd have to give you the key to unlock it...but I haven't finished increasing the complexity of the algorithm yet. [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

"Anarchist" is a negative-connotation word that the Powers That Be apply to those opposed to their regime, regardless of the true goals or beliefs of the "anarchist".
"Freedom fighter" is the positive-connotation word that the "anarchists" apply to themselves or is applied by those sympathetic to the goals or beliefs of the "freedom fighter".

In The Matrix movies, we applauded the efforts of Morpheus, Neo, and Trinity because they were fighting against the strictly controlling world created by the machines.
In the recent Star Wars trilogy we applauded the efforts of the Jedi because they were fighting against the Sith and their attempt to bring about a controlling, fascist state (which they ultimately did, anyway).

We in America appluad the past actions of the Founding Fathers because they successfully threw off what they saw as an oppressive regime but we consider the modern-day separatists in the Northwest to be seditious traitors becuase they want to throw off what they see as an oppressive regime.

Which one is it? Which side is "correct"?

In the end, it all comes down to your point of view.

Remember: Truth is a three-edged sword--your side, their side, and the truth. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2006, 01:14 PM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Old 03-20-2006, 01:44 PM   #8
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

[img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

That's great! We need to get t-shirts with that printed on them. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]