Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-29-2001, 08:35 AM   #1
Jan

What is best when you play as a berserker?

Old 10-29-2001, 08:42 AM   #2
The Lizard King
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would have chose two handed sword.

------------------
I'm the Lizard King. I can do anything...
Old 10-29-2001, 09:00 AM   #3
Ugaya
Manshoon

I prefer dual wield. Equip a sword and a blunt weapon and you can fight against every opponent without "hastily searching your backpack". If you go for dual-wield put three points in this slot (reducing the THACO modifier to 0 and -2). I recommend at least "Specialized" for the off-hand weapon, "Mastery "is better.

But, in the end your choice should depend only on your personal playing style. You will beat the game with a dual wielding berserker as well as with a "Two handed" one. The only difference is your personal "fun factor".
Old 10-29-2001, 09:05 AM   #4
Byronas

I prefer two handed sword.

------------------

Where there are monsters and barbarians there will be Byronas fighting against them.
Leader of Keldorn's Order

Old 10-29-2001, 09:07 AM   #5
Jan

Ok thanks. Just wondering what would give the highest damage? Some one handed weapons in the game which are pretty cool.

Old 10-29-2001, 10:12 AM   #6
Zbyszek

I believe that dual wielding is better - you hit two times instead of one. So because you can find single-handed weapons as good as two-handed (except of one sword for Paladins only) and some of them give you extra abilities (STR=25 or extra attack or Charisma or ...) I say : dual.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:28 AM   #7
Seraph
Quintesson

IIRC Dual weilding only gives you one extra attack, not double the attacks. What does this mean? Well a fighter with Grand Mastery will have 5/2 attacks with a two-handed sword. But only 7/2 attacks with two long swords. I beleave that is the case, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:43 AM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Dual-wield would better, it grants one additional attack.

Best combo for SoA methinks would be Celestial Fury in the main hand, and Crom Faeyr in the off hand.

If you intend to continue into ToB, then I would choose Flail of Ages and Crom Faeyr.
Old 10-29-2001, 01:37 PM   #9
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

ugaya,why"hastily changing your backpack"? Fortunately in BG2, accessing the backpack automatically gives you a break. I normally use it to change between 1h-weapon+shield and bow.

Old 10-29-2001, 02:33 PM   #10
Nifft the Nimble

Is talking about weapons which come late in the game a SPOILER? Well just in case:

W - E - A - P - O - N

S - P - O - I - L - E - R - S

A - H - E - A - D

I'm not going to agree with conventional wisdom here... sorry!

There are very few +4 or better 1-handed weapons (in SoA), especially in Chapter 3. There are some sweet 2-handed weapons though:

- Carsomyr +5! Paladins only

- Dragon's Breath +4 (Halberd) -- does Ice, Fire, Acid, Electric and Poison damage. This weapon will get the message through to anyone, from an ice troll to an red dragon.

- Staff of Rhynn

- Staff of the Magi! (Mages only)

- Staff of Striking

Once you're in Chapter 5 or later, you get other fun toys:

- Vorpal Blade (2-handed sword... only +3 but NICE special power)
- That kick-butt 2-handed sword you get from the Demon Knight (evil only)

- Wave Halberd +4

- Warblade (plain +4 2-handed sword)

- Staff of the Wilderness (or whatever you call it .... druid item)

... and if you have the bonus merchants, there are some nice early 2-handed weapons:

- Staff of Arundel (druid item)

- Harmonium Halberd (+3, +1 strength)

- Joril's Dagger (+3 2-handed sword, chance to confuse with each hit)

In ToB there are quite a few nice 1-handed items but the two-handed items are always IMHO better. Psion's Blade more than makes up for being unable to use the Shield of Harmony, for example.

-- Nifft