Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2001, 12:02 PM   #11
FallenPaladin
Dungeon Master

Well, I don't want to see a BG game in the PS, because I won't be able to play it. But I'm particularly against this one. First of all, its not developed by Black Isle. This is a heresy. Also it does nothing to match to the quality of Baldur's Gate. Baldur's Gate became a famous game because of its focus on detail, story and open-endedness. This just seems to take advantage of an already succesful series, without making any effort of their own. The story is practically the same as in BG1, (who's betting that you'll find out you're adopted and you and your sister are children of a certain Lord of murder?), there's none of Baldur's Gate vast, living world, just hack and slush, and come on, 20 levels? 3 character classes? They're using the good name of our favourite game and we can't let this go on. Let the make their own game, and their own story if they want to make an RPG, not use Baldur's Gate just for the publicity.

[This message has been edited by FallenPaladin (edited 07-18-2001).]
Old 07-18-2001, 12:05 PM   #12
Immoral
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Actually, it looks like a pretty good PS2 game. A Hell of a lot better than some of the other junk they've put out thus far. I just wish they hadn't used the Baldur's Gate name and just used something of their own design, as it does not seem to coincide in any way with the baldur's Gate series, except for the fact that they use the same town.

It appears to me to be a cheap attempt to capitalize on the already immensely popular name Baldur's Gate and try to get us die hard BG fans to play it based on the name alone. I don't see it happening. If anything, I see BG fans shunning this game for same aforementioned reason.

Just my 2 cents

-Immoral
Old 07-18-2001, 12:06 PM   #13
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Snoblind is the kinda of people you just love to hate. They are the bullies that make you do their homework or else. They only slapped the Baldur's Gate name on there to get some $$. Seriously, I do agree that they should start their own RPG, rather than ruin one by changing the genre.
Old 07-18-2001, 12:09 PM   #14
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I don't even own a console... ...

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.
Old 07-18-2001, 12:10 PM   #15
Eddith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I cant understand why you guys would care... we PC owners know that we're still getting the best BG games.. let them have their fun.. the only thing I dont understand is why they have to use the BG name on that game.. I'm assuming it's just to sell copies of the game. Personally I dont really care because we know that even though it may be fun and look good it wont touch the depth and charm of the Bioware/Black Isle BG rpgs on our PCs.

Hopefully Pool of Radience will make PS2 owners shed a few tears when we get that too.

Eddith
Old 07-18-2001, 12:11 PM   #16
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanobyte:
They only slapped the Baldur's Gate name on there to get some $$.
Ah, such is capitalism. Heh. I'm not too happy about the name grab myself.
Old 07-18-2001, 12:20 PM   #17
Mellagar

I would have to agree that its another way of making a few extra $'s, but of course that's business. I am sure Snoblind paid quite a pretty penny for the title and the money they dished out will more than likely raise up some coin for a new BG PC game...ever think of that? Well anyhow, it matters little to me about PS2 games. I've seen the graphics and Neverwinter Nights has much better effects and there's a plot behind it. So 'forget about it' and enjoy the fact that YOUR version of BG, PC version, is not a mangaloid arcade mutation. (Hey that's catchy)

[This message has been edited by Mellagar (edited 07-18-2001).]
Old 07-18-2001, 01:06 PM   #18
Vampire

I think anyone who has a game console is NOT a true D&D ROLE player.
I'm entitled to my opinion so...
Old 07-18-2001, 01:11 PM   #19
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
I think anyone who has a game console is NOT a true D&D ROLE player.
I'm entitled to my opinion so...
Heh, geez dude

I paper and penciled LONG before I got my PS2, I assure you
Old 07-18-2001, 02:04 PM   #20
Malavon
Dungeon Master

*BUMP* i think everyone should see this...

Black isle has shamed us all in selling titles to ps. Now ull hear little toddlers talking about BG as if they really now what it is.... when u see commercials, others will say 'hey what a great game', but well be left to shake our heads and mutter silent curses... lol... but really... how could they?

Malavon

------------------
Will not the mountains quake, and the hills melt at the comming of the darkness?
Share this vision with your enemies, Lim-Dul, and they shall wither!