Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
Link
Jack Burton

The seedy tavern would make any soul feel quite misplaced if they'd take a good look around at all the ruffians and simpletons present. Gritting his teeth - audibly - this lonely fellow tries to look past this harsh environment, to focus on the task ahead: an interview with the fabled Jan Jansen. Despite his original interest to enlighten the readers of Sizzling Stories of the Sword Coast with his tales of the origination of his Techno Gloves (".. a tale worth telling over and over! Like my Uncle Scratchy, who insists on recounting his adventures with the turnip slicer every friday night!..."), the editors managed to convince the fabled gnome of the importance of something else.
The interviewer quickly corrects himself. It's not an interview about something, much more about someone. Smiling weakly, he goes through the questions he wants to ask once more. "How did you end up meeting Two Feathers?" "What did he inspire you to become?" Risky business, he knew, because who would know if Jan Jansen was willing to talk about an adventurer and hero surpassing his own status by a million leagues?

The door is thrown open theatrically and many faces in the tavern look up to catch a glimpse of this newcomes, undoubtedly expecting a large warrior-like brute entering the alehouse. None of this is true, however, as a colourful gnome with a wide grin on his face, a much-too-large crossbow strapped on his back and a turnip wrenched firmly under his belt marches straight to Dayvids table.

"Dayvid, I presume? The promised interviewer for the Sizzling Stories? I must tell you, I've been reading that magazine ever since my childhood. Even sent in a couple 'o stories myself. All turnip related, 'course, wasn't into anything else when I was just a wobbling toddler. Come to think of it, little Jeanny always warned me that my turnip obsession would become unhealthy. Well I certainly proved her wrong, didn't I! Me and faithful Nippy here - " Jan pats the turnip under his belt rather lovingly " - have travelled far and wide, battling all sorts of critters along the way. With success, of course!"

-- "Yes, yes, thank you Jan. Have a seat, and let's get started right away, shan't we? I think there's much that needs to be telling."

"Oh yes, yes, of course." With a leap that betrays more agility than meets the eye, the small gnome hops onto one of the two vacant chairs and stares longingly at the bartender. "You've got turnip-beer in here, my good friend?"

With a look of disgust, the bartender nods negatively.

"Always worth the try, I always say. Or was that my dear old father that gave me that advise right after he fell down that ladder in Neverwinter? I never remember these things correctly. Reminds me..."

With a loud cough, Dayvid interrupts Jan in his ponderings, pointing - rather irritably - to his paper to indicate he likes to get started.

"Of course you've heard what we want to discuss, haven't you Mr Jansen? We're not so much interested in your - undoubtedly - fascinating turnip stories or inventions, but much more in your experiences with Two Feathers."

"Ah, yes. Two Feathers." The little gnome's eyes gleam with a sudden brightness upon mentioning this name. And then, without hesitation, or turnip-related remark, the gnome takes off, telling everything he knows about the sympathetic cleric of Helm, Two Feathers, whom he came to know so well in their adventures together.

----------------

This topic will tell you all the tales of my latest creation, Two Feathers, a Lawful Neutral Cleric of Helm. After a hiatus of over a year (!) I've been able to finally start myself a new game of Baldur's Gate 2 and this character is the result of that. Currently I have completed a couple of quests already, but I will take you on the journey that started in Chateau Irenicus, and will hopefully end somewhere in the nether regions of the Nine Hells. On top of that, Two Feathers is my first real attempt at a roleplaying game. I will try to take him through Amn holding myself true to the characteristics sketched out below, and I will not trot from quest to quest. Only if the party bumps into someone will they actually gain knowledge of this quest, and then Two Feathers, as the designated leader of the party, will make the decision what to do first.

Two Feathers is a noble figure, a wise young lad for his age, not too strong, but he values the assets of the mind more anyway. He therefore favors companions that are close to his heart, or people he feels are in great need of assistance - or the other way around.
More than anything else, Two Feathers is a religious, almost spiritual man. He devoted his life to Helm at a young age, when Gorion, before his eyes, was so brutally murdered by a man keen only on enrichment of himself. This injustice was so cruel, so bitter, that Two Feathers decided to battle these forces in the name of the Watcher.

The stats:

Name: Two Feathers
Strength: 10
Dexterity: 11
Constitution: 16
Intelligence: 11
Wisdom: 18
Charisma: 16

Favored Weapon: Quarterstaff or Flail. He usually resorts to spells, though.

[ 01-11-2006, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Link ]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Sounds good Link, looking forward to more writings [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2006, 04:03 AM   #3
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

nice one, will two feathers be human? if so is ther much chance of a dual later in the game?
Old 01-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
Link
Jack Burton

Yes, Two Feathers is a Human Cleric. I originally had dual in mind too, because I've never actually tried to dual a character in game.

I have to add, though, that the "Dual" button is greyed out at the moment (level 10 or so). Does that mean anything?
Old 01-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #5
ister
Drow Warrior

It means your stats are too low to dual. To dual you need 15 in the primary stat for your first class (Wisdom for a cleric, so no problem here) and 17 in the primary stat for your second class. So to dual to fighter you need 17 strength, to mage you need 17 intelligence, and to thief you need 17 dexterity. I think you need 17 strength to dual to ranger, but there may be another stat.

I'm afraid you'll have to cheat your stats if you want to dual-class.
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #6
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

You need to have 17+ in the primary stat of the class you are going to dual to. Since none of them (except for WIS) are above 16, you cannot dual at this time.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Does not really matter anyway. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Singleclassed Clerics are pretty fun characters too.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #8
Link
Jack Burton

PART I -- THE ESCAPE

It wasn't his throbbing head, or the itchy, almost burning feeling on his entire skin that woke him up. It was the cold, the bitter chill that tortured not only his weakened body, but howled through his emptied mind as well. The iron bars surrounding him looked even firmer than last time, but last time they only looked so thin because they could not protect him from the outside; then again, there probably was no place to hide in this forsaken place from his merciless abductor. That.. mage, with his scarred face and protruding voice, who seemed to be so set on 'unlocking his potential'. Hollow words, no doubt. The potential mentioned could just as well mean unlocking more power for the mage himself.
As if he needs any. The mage's power seemed far greater than any he'd seen so far. If only he knew what had happened to his friends...

"Wake up! Wake up you!" The sudden voice from outside his cage startled the battered cleric of Helm. "It's me! Imoen!" With a sigh of relief, Two Feathers heaved himself to his feet. The girl in front of him was unmistakably Imoen, his longtime childhood friend from Candlekeep, with whom he had shared so many adventures in and around Baldur's Gate.
With a soft click the lock of his cage opened up, Imoen standing nervously, but triumphant, before him. The feeling of freedom washed over Two Feathers, gently forcing him to remember why he had chosen to become a cleric of Helm, the Watcher, in the first place. Isn't this what should be every person's god-given right?

Imoen took the cleric out his musings, back to reality, back to the cold, barren domain of his captor. "I already located our equipment, Two Feathers. It's in the room north-west of us. We should get out of here as soon as we can! Maybe Minsc and Jaheira could be of assistance as well, they're right behind you, locked in cages as well!" The young thief-mage looked nervously about, feeling the touch of her captor on her shoulders still.

Two Feathers slowly placed his hand on Imoen's shoulder, and he felt his soothing touch doing the right work immediately. "Easy, little one. I share your sentiments. We will get out of here as quickly as the gods will allow us. I won't let anything harm you. Ever."
Unwilling as he was to be captured once more, the two of them proceeded to the room Imoen had pointed out. Indeed, the room was filled with weaponry of all kind. In one shadowy corner, the dull eyes of a golem stared at them mindlessly. Not programmed to stop us, Two Feathers understood. They gathered as much as they needed for a party of four, because Two Feathers had made up his mind already. If they were to make it out of this hellhole alive, they needed all the strength and wits they could muster. Minsc and Jaheira were both a necessity and a welcome pair.

--

After freeing their two friends from their cells, the four adventurers started on their journey through the myriad of rooms that formed the domain of the mysterious mage. They fought their way past petty goblins, past guardian golems, and exotic mephits. They defeated the vicious duergar Ilyich and his comrads, who, apart from having sided with their captor, had stolen the acorns from a group of dryads as well. With every hour they remained in the dungeons, they felt the evil gripping a tighter hold of them. More and more, the four felt themselves akin with the poor creatures that led a half-life in the tubes, apparently forgotten by their Master.

"Take me away from this place, Two Feathers. As fast as you can," Imoen whispered in his ear, the tears audible on her trembling voice. "I don't want him to touch me ever again."

Silently, the cleric led his companions ahead, through the portal that would hopefully lead them to the outside world where their captor would meet justice under the gaze of the ever-watching Helm. Instead, the portal led them to another level of madness. They met a thief, Yoshimo, who was hesitantly added to their company. He proved his worth with valuable information, but failed to persuade Two Feathers of thinking of him other than a temporary helping hand.
The group fled on, encountering more and more mysteries on their way. Countless bodies they found, all black, all hooded, and further on the battle, or it seemed, was still raging.

Finally, after an exhausting journey they found the exit, a tunnel sloping upward into the welcome arms of daylight. Although their quest was far from over, Two Feathers vowed never to leave Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen alone. Jaheira, who had suffered so much with the loss of Khalid, and was such a kin spirit with her natural guidance and strive towards balance. Minsc, the mighty warrior who seemed so troubled, so confused, so vulnerable in his mind. And finally, Imoen, his saviour, his friend. More than anything Two Feathers wanted to protect her from harm, keep her safe from anything. His own words echoed on in his mind: "I won't let anything harm you. Ever."

----------------------------------------

QUESTS DONE IN THIS EPISODE

- Freeing Minsc & Jaheira
- Freeing the Djinni from his flask (obtained the Sword of Chaos)
- Obtaining the Dryad Acorns from Ilyich
- Freeing Rielev
- Freeing Frennedan

[ 01-19-2006, 06:34 AM: Message edited by: Link ]
Old 01-19-2006, 03:13 AM   #9
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

sounds like a great adventure, where to next?
Old 01-19-2006, 05:37 AM   #10
Link
Jack Burton

PART II - WHERE THE FIRST JOURNEY ENDS, AND THE REAL ONE JUST BEGINS

He let the welcome sunlight warm his skin, shutting the world outside for just one second. Just for a little moment. How he had missed the touch of sun, the feeling of the cool breeze through his hair, the gaze of his God, smiling upon his wake. But then, there was reality. The sounds of battle, the clearing of the dust after the explosion, and, of course, his nemesis. The archmage Jon Irenicus.

The Shadow Thieves were never a threat. Neither was Imoen, and his former captor seemed the shrug the magics of the cowled ones off as petty street magic. Nevertheless, he allowed himself to be taken, and with him.. Imoen. His friend. Why? Whereto? Questions unanswered, for the time being. But questions, nonetheless, that needed to be answered as soon as humanly possible. Silently, Two Feathers sank to his knees after the mysterious mages had took both Irenicus and Imoen. Not to cry, but to pray.

"Hear me, Watcher!" he whispered softly. "Hear me! Guide me to the path of the righteous! Take me by the hand and lead me to my childhood companion, lead me to the mage who has done not only me, but so many others injustice. Let me be your vessel to rid the whole of Faerun from this evil!"
The answer came almost immediately. A surge of strength, a touch of healing. Two Feathers felt stronger, hardier. He stood up, and faced the pain-struck faces of his companions.

"So close and he is gone again! Raagh, even Boo wants to show his rage! Look closely, because he is quite small." The words of Minsc, seemingly childish, were full of truth. The four adventurers felt powerless, but Two Feathers was about to change that.
"We will get her back, Helm will guide us. Let us not waiste minutes or hours just sitting here. Let's get started," the cleric spoke clearly, and the three others nodded.

Thus the four of them set out across the area, questioning people as to what had happened only moments before. Most people were helpful enough, but could not help them any further. It seemed no one knew who Irenicus really was, and the mages, although being named "Cowled Wizards" by some, seemed even more mysterious. In each case, no one knew where they could've taken Imoen.
Two Feathers sighed. Maybe he could persuade some guards into helping him out? Most of them were rather short and aggressive, motioning them to walk and instead of disturbing their duties. One of them, however, seemed nicer. Standing in front of a circus tent, it was apparent that he was more taken with the situation inside than anything else.
Maybe, Two Feathers thought to himself, just maybe, if I help him out, he can help me out in turn, giving me some much needed information. The guard was reluctant to allow them in the tent.
"No one has come out, citizen. I don't advise you to go in, but I can't stop you from doing anything stupid either. Make your choice."

-- "But what if I help you out?"

"I would appreciate any help, but we've already sent in a squad of guards who haven't come out yet. If you're willing to give it a shot, be my guest. You have my blessings."
And with these words the guard stepped aside to allow them passage. Hesitant at first, Two Feathers, followed by Jaheira, Minsc and Yoshimo, entered the circus tent. Immediately everything began to swirl, change into something else. This is no circus tent! But before the thought had actually found its meaning, the swirling was over. Before his eyes, a vast structure had emerged from out of nowhere. Instantly, Two Feathers knew he was somewhere else, somewhere eerie. The chill of the place went straight for the bones.

"Be careful," he warned his companions, and slowly the party moved forward towards a bridge that seemed to hang across a void, a nothingness that stretched endlessly below.

"Muhahaha!" All were startled by this sudden laughing. With readied weapons they stared up at their adversary, a genie. "There's no need for weapons, human. Not just yet, anyway. Kalah will be most pleasant if you'd find your way across with your wits instead of your muscle."
Wits. That shouldn't be too hard. Even for a 22-year old Two Feathers was wiser than most. Even Gorion had known this.

"I will answer your riddle if it leads to some sense, genie."

And so the genie posed his riddle, grinning widely, as if he expected no mere human to answer the question accordingly. The answer, however, came sooner than expected.

"The prince is 30, the princess is 40."

-- "Indeed, human. You impress both me and Kalah. You may proceed. Perhaps we will see you again soon." And with a flash the genie disappeared from sight.

The party continued, carefully scouting the area. As Two Feathers had expected, it wasn't safe.. at all. Shadows and werewolves seemed to be roaming the huge domed building. Without much effort they were exposed of, the werewolves vanishing in a puff of smoke. Illusions! The situation seemed more and more bizarre each second that past. Best to get it over with, then, Two Feathers decided.

They entered the dome, and were faced with - again - a rather sudden change. The building was full of creatures, who were not what they seemed. A spider was the boy's lost mother, a giant ogre an avariel called Aerie, who was taken into the party after her release. Again the party advanced to the next level, where a more grim set of creatures faced them. Hostile shadows and werewolves assaulted them, and once more the werewolves turend out to be illusions. Minsc, in all his fury, attacked them nonetheless, and all were destroyed.

"Muhahaha!" No less startled now, Two Feathers and his party faced the genie once more, standing atop a staircase.

-- "More riddles this time?" the cleric of Helm asked ironically.

"No riddles, human. You've proven your worth. You can proceed to Kalah. Let's see how you do there, shall we not?" With a flash of blinding light, the genie disappeared once more.

"Let's end this once and for all," Two Feathers grumbled. The others nodded, for the travesty surely had lasted long enough already. They ascended the marble staircase and arrived in a small, circular room. At the center stood a monster, surrounded by shadows, werewolves and a slime.

"Be careful, Two Feathers! I suspect not all is what it seems!" Jaheira's warning came as no surprise, but was uttered too loud not to be heard by their mysterious adversary.

"Nothing! Nothing is what it seems! You've been doing well to get here, tiny one! However, your days of meddling with perfectly well-ordered revenge are over. Come my lovely ones, attack the adventurers so we can get this over with!"

"What have you done with Uncle Quayle!" Aerie screamed, face torn between anger and despair.

"Quayle? I had him reduced to what he really is. A slime of the lowest sort." And with these words, Kalah unleashed a jet of magic energy onto the unsuspecting slime, who yelped with pain. "Aerie! Is that you? I have no eyes!"

"No more wailing!" Kalah shrieked. "No more lies! No more humiliation! At them, my pets! I will no longer be ignored!"

The battle was short, but fierce. Minsc attacked the shadows and werewolves with a fierceness had not seen from him before. Aerie had a grim determination in her eyes as she unleashed her spells on Kalah who seemed to be more taken with torturing Quayle. I think he never even noticed he was on the losing side, Two Feathers thought with a harsh look in his eyes.

"Nooo--" *cough* "This isn't what was promised to me! This isn't what was supposed to happen!" The death rattle of Kalah, not a large humanoid, but a small gnome, set the party up with even more mysteries. And no answers still.

------------------------------------------

Just a quick overview what has happened so far:

I've completed Chateau Irenicus, gathering all important items: the Pommel Jewel of the Equalizer, the Mail of the Dead (Minsc is wearing it), the Dryad Acorns. After that Two Feathers indeed immediately went on to clear the Circus Tent, hoping to find answers. Aerie was added to the party, because Two Feathers was afraid to leave her on her own in the eerie environment of the interior of the tent. Yoshimo remains in the party because Two Feathers needs every help he can , but when the party encounters someone else, then no doubt Yoshimo will be kicked from the party.

QUESTS DONE IN THIS EPISODE:

- Circus Tent
- Rescuing the boy's mother

[ 01-19-2006, 05:40 AM: Message edited by: Link ]

Goal: Beijing 2008