Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 08-17-2001, 07:15 AM   #1
cloud88
Manshoon

iam a ranger what equipment should i have?
cloud88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 09:29 AM   #2
DavidL
Dungeon Master

I'm not entirely familiar with the AD&D rules on which BG is based, but I know from experience with the game that rangers typically are good bowmen, but that depends entirely on your ability scores. I would suggest a ranged weaponlike a bow and a melee weapon like a long or short sword. Those would allow you the use of a shield, whereas the spear or another two handed weapon, like a quarter staff, would not.

You'll need leather armor, as anything else inhibits your ability to walk in shadows undetected. I think even chain mail will keep you from being able to hide in shadows, but I'm not sure about magical chain...

Wear a helmet, as it protects against critical hits.

Stockpile magical arrows when you can and rely on normal arrows. I assure you you will need them at some point.
DavidL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 01:57 PM   #3
cloud88
Manshoon

thanks man
/Lunatris
Old 08-17-2001, 04:05 PM   #4
The Ozzman
Zhentarim Guard

i found out a nice way to get plate mail, no cheating or importing if you are interested.
The Ozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 04:48 PM   #5
cloud88
Manshoon

of course im intresed )))
/Luna
how do you prove that you exist?
maybe we dont exist.....
Old 08-17-2001, 08:09 PM   #6
Bromley
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidL:
I would suggest a ranged weaponlike a bow and a melee weapon like a long or short sword. Those would allow you the use of a shield, whereas the spear or another two handed weapon, like a quarter staff, would not.

I tend to use a 2-handed weapon (2-handed swords are best) if I'm using a bow, as you can't use a shield and a bow at the same time.

In fact, only my slingers and tank(s) use shields.
Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 08:48 PM   #7
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

My Ranger is equiped with a +1 composite bow, that I bought in Beregost and Spider Bane (+2 two-handed sword, which gives freedom of motion). I also put him in Ankeg plate armor. I use my thief for scouting. I know that this defeats the purpose of the Ranger, but thiefs are really better suited for this.

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Axe?
Sir Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 10:29 PM   #8
Demoquin
Dungeon Master

Yo got that right!!! *BACKSTAB* = dead

------------------

I am Demoquin, Agent from Hell
Demoquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 10:54 PM   #9
The Ozzman
Zhentarim Guard

when i 1st started out the game. i finished the subquest @ the friendly farm in, and headed east to the pelvdale, once you enter the pelvdale go immedeately up and stey on the left side of the screen. Youll run into Viconia? her name isnt important but what is important is that a flaming fist guy tries to kill her, if you choose to help viconia, i think you have to have her deliver the fatal blow so u dont lose rep points, but if you do this you can pick up the soldiers plate mail. Also she cant join ur party either or you will suffer the rep loss as well. But its a good way to get plate mail early in the game.
The Ozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 06:32 PM   #10
-Aragain-
Dungeon Master

If your a ranger, DO NOT FORGET to loot, Tazoks corpse is it?, for the Long Bow of Marksmanship at chapter 3/4. Its a great bow and has great range. Aside from that, keep studded or leather so you can hide.
-Aragain- is offline   Reply With Quote