Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-17-2002, 02:24 PM   #1
Moni

"The Fear Of Public Speaking"

:evillaugh:

In all seriousness though, I could not come up with a topic for a speech I have to deliver TOMORROW (!!!) until I watched others giving theirs yesterday and it hit me like a, well, like a really heavy thing.

I figure I can use it as an informative subject, not just to ease myself into having the class as my audience for the semester but also to commend, in a way, a couple of people who had problems with theirs yesterday and to help boost the confidence of a couple of people who will deliver theirs on Friday...people who are extremely, extremely shy.
I think making it personal between myself and (for the most part) certain individuals in the class will be a big step for me to make eye contact during a speech...I don't have a problem being social but speeches give me stagefright lol.

Wish me luck!

Old 09-17-2002, 02:28 PM   #2
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Oh Lord, public speaking...let's see, something like 10% of my GCSE grade depends on a presentation i have to make in front of my english grade...and 3/4 of them have bullied me or still do at some point. I'm not too thrilled.
Good luck, honey, you'll do MUCH better than me.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:30 PM   #3
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

OMG i would never had the nerve to hold a speech in front of many peoples but i wish you darn good luck Moni [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2002, 02:34 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

You know, I read somewhere that most people are more afraid of public speaking than they're afraid of death. They rank Public Speaking higher on the stress level than they do thoughts of dying. [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

Personally, I think it's a noble topic, and one worth considering. Best of luck to you!

-Sazerac

[ 09-17-2002, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Sazerac ]

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 09-17-2002, 02:45 PM   #5
Moni

Thanks guys!

I think I have convinced myself that I am going to do well (in spite of my own fear) and yes, Saz, the fear of speaking in public and the fear of death are the top 2 fears in America...it just depends on who you ask as to which comes out on top. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Kaltia, I have every confidence in you! You're a bigger person than the bullies you know
*hugs*

Well, I need to get the outline ready to turn in and I have bunches of homework to do today (and a big exam to keep studying for on Friday) so I probably won't see you all again until tomorrow. (hoping I can drop in later but that all depends on how quick I get busy right now LOL)

Thanks again!
[img]graemlins/ladyhearts.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2002, 02:46 PM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
LOL Good luck Minno.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:49 PM   #7
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Good luck, Moni, ignore that ill-placed LOL of johnny's *tosses johnny an iced tea* and thanks for your own encouragement *hugs* you'll do fantasticly [img]smile.gif[/img] be sure to tell us how it goes, k? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2002, 03:15 PM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
You know, I read somewhere that most people are more afraid of public speaking than they're afraid of death. They rank Public Speaking higher on the stress level than they do thoughts of dying. [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

Personally, I think it's a noble topic, and one worth considering. Best of luck to you!

-Sazerac
Guess I'm one of the ones who makes up the smaller percent of those who don't mind it. [img]smile.gif[/img] As long as I know my audience and my subject, I don't mind being in front of a crowd to deliver a talk. I've been a reader and teacher off and on at Church for many yearas now, and you get over being bothered by people following your every word pretty quickly! [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

I remember in our theater classes in College- we used to have to do individual and group presentations and I really liked that part of the class once I had a topic chosen or plan of action.

Here at work, I used to have to address groups of HS students visiting us for Spoken Russian competitions each spring and there could be anywhere from 300-600 of them plus the chaperones and teachers.

Just think of it as a one on one event, it goes pretty smoothly!

good luck, Moni!

[ 09-17-2002, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 09-17-2002, 03:50 PM   #9
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Whatever you do, DO NOT picture the people you are speaking to NAKED. Tried it.
Can you spell B-I-G failure or shall I? What a disaster. Never doing that again. Totally mumbled my words cos I was trying to picture the 50 year old at the back.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:09 PM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Guess I'm one of the ones who makes up the smaller percent of those who don't mind it. [img]smile.gif[/img] As long as I know my audience and my subject, I don't mind being in front of a crowd to deliver a talk. I've been a reader and teacher off and on at Church for many yearas now, and you get over being bothered by people following your every word pretty quickly! [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

I remember in our theater classes in College- we used to have to do individual and group presentations and I really liked that part of the class once I had a topic chosen or plan of action.

Here at work, I used to have to address groups of HS students visiting us for Spoken Russian competitions each spring and there could be anywhere from 300-600 of them plus the chaperones and teachers.

Just think of it as a one on one event, it goes pretty smoothly!

good luck, Moni!
Agreed, Cloudy! As a teacher, my entire career revolves around "public speaking." I remember when I first started teaching; I didn't know who I was more afraid of, my class or my supervisor. I finally had to psyche myself out and put my nose to the grindstone. I was only 22 at the time and I was teaching a class of students most of whom were my age or older, so that's why I was so worried. It worked; turned out they were more afraid of me than I was of them, and after we reassured each other, we got along fine. Now making a public speech is little or nothing to me, after 16 years of doing it five days a week, 6 hours a day.

Cheers,
-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."