Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-11-2002, 02:22 PM   #1
Sigmar
Unicorn

Recently I enlisted in another forum, hoping to join in a discussion about one of my favourite games (half-life) but only to find that all my views and opinions were being dismissed because I was a "newbie" This really annoyed me, but then I noticed that when I went to all my regular forums (except Ironworks and HADB of course) newbie bashing was a completely acceptable thing, this time it wasn't directed against me but it still really annoyed me. Why does this happen, I admit I myself have accepted the fact tht the reason someone might not know how to quote might be because they are new to the forum,"newbies" but I have never looked down on them or flamed them just because they are new to this forum. Why do people insult new people visiting their forum, for all they now the new individual could know something the rest of the communtiy doesn't and the individual could be a great help to them but know they shoot first and dont ask questions later. I was just wondering if a similar event has occured with anyone else (I had to post this topic as I just ot flamed in another forum for defending newbies and I wanted more sensible opinions, so I come here [img]smile.gif[/img] )

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: Sigmar ]

Old 02-11-2002, 02:27 PM   #2
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I Agree. People Discriminate Against "Newbies" Just Because They Don't Have As Many Posts As Others! This Is Just Stupid, As They May Well Know More About The Topic Than The More "Experienced Posters". In Fact (No Offence To Anyone) Probabaly At Least Half Of The High Posters Would Know Nothing About The Game And Are Just Spammers!!
Old 02-11-2002, 02:41 PM   #3
Arvon
Unicorn

I've found the 3DO community to accept newbies. Even those that come in rude or very ignorant. But much of the conversation there is about the 3DO games. This is not to mean that someone may be rude to a newbie on some occasion.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 02-11-2002, 02:45 PM   #4
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Call Me Old Fashioned ( ) But What Are 3DO Games??
Old 02-11-2002, 02:49 PM   #5
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

I tend to take a suspicious stand towards newbies..
Mainly because I find this a 'friendly-chat' forum (at least where I post ) and I know everybody in it, except for the occasional new member..
But as soon as I know this person, and maybe exchanged a few posts, my defensive stance drop and I treat them like I treat everyone else [img]smile.gif[/img]
Of course, this does not mean that I treat new members with disrespect, just not as friendly and open as members I know
Old 02-11-2002, 02:50 PM   #6
Arvon
Unicorn

quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
Call Me Old Fashioned ( ) But What Are 3DO Games??

Well they include the Might and Magic series with the upcomming release of Might and Magic 9, and the Heros of Might and Magic. There are a bunch others too.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 02-11-2002, 02:57 PM   #7
Legolas
Jack Burton

I believe the newbie flaming is due to two reasons.
First, like Regin on a larger scale, many posters form groups as they post along, befriending several other posters, or taking a dislike to someone. The closer the groups, the harder it is to break in, because you are either seen as a threat or simply someone below the others. After all, they have friends on the forum, and you don't.
The second reason is the terrible misconception that 'new to the forum' means the same as 'new to the game', and therefor unable to contribute useful information.
Part of this is because the older players believe they have owned the game longer, since they found the forum longer ago. But it is also because many new players come to a forum seeking help, and simply asking about the game (as they should, that's what the forum is for). Because they are asking so many questions, and sometimes questions which have been answered earlier, it may seem like they do not know much about the game at all, and so are only a pain in the side of others.

Why that gives posters the right to 'bash' newbies though is beyond me.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Old 02-11-2002, 03:07 PM   #8
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I don't agree with newbie-bashing (after-all, we were all there once...) but in the case of some boards it is almost always true that a newbie knows nothing or next to nothing...this is the case with TeamBG where (almost )everyone who knows how to edit is already there and the longer they are there, the more they learn so the less newbies know in comparison.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-11-2002, 03:44 PM   #9
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

I think Regin is right - people just have friends or contacts already. It isn't exactly Newbie bashing that I have encountered as much but more Newbie-ignoring. And this is mostly because people already have friends on a forum. Also some new people take a while to get used to what is acceptable, so some of them come across as trolling when that is not their intention. My brother had a real problem when he came on this forum and he left shortly after he got registered. You just learn what kind of a place this is after a while, it doesn't happen immediately and that can often cause tension.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 02-11-2002, 04:28 PM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

And then people complain that Ironworks is run too strictly.

I hope everyone realizes that it's the very fact that we DO take as good care of people at IW that helps foster an open and friendly environment, with minimal flaming (and a quick response when flames do occur.) We're not perfect, but thank the heavens, we're not like some of those other places!

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."