Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-18-2002, 03:09 PM   #1
hagimihale
Manshoon

Getting towards the end of the game with my Elven Archer PC. I have only played good characters and am thinking about heading towards the “dark side”.

Looking at the NPCs out there… it seems that Edwin, Viconia and Korgan are certain members of the group. Jan and Jaheira will probably make the final cut.

Just not sure what kind of PC to use. I fully believe in the role-playing aspect (i.e. a Good PC acts virtuous and an Evil PC is nasty and selfish etc). I’d already have 1 tank and a partial tank (Korgan and Jaheira), a mage and a backup mage (Edwin and Jan) and 2 characters with clerical spells (Viconia, Jaheira). Jan would work well enough as a thief I think.

Any thoughts? What Neutral/Evil PCs have you used and enjoyed? I thought about Kensai (and maybe dualling him to mage)… or a Bard. Swashbuckler also (but don’t you lose backstab and most major thieving abilities?). I usually play a mage or fighter so I want to go a different route. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
hagimihale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 03:28 PM   #2
Sorcerer Alex

Swashbuckler is a great class to play. I'd go for that. You do lose backstab, but the fighting abilities you get in return more than make up for it, in my view. Give it a try, it's a lot of fun [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2002, 03:51 PM   #3
hagimihale
Manshoon

what are the advantages to swashbuckler? I know he's a good fighter (for a theif), but then why wouldn't I just take a fighter so I could use all armor etc? Backstab seems like one of the best "fighting" features to being a thief.
hagimihale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 04:03 PM   #4
Lucre
Elminster

quote:
Originally posted by hagimihale:
what are the advantages to swashbuckler? I know he's a good fighter (for a theif), but then why wouldn't I just take a fighter so I could use all armor etc? Backstab seems like one of the best "fighting" features to being a thief.

Well - the AC bonus is good for a theif, he gets full amount of theving stats per level(only theif kit that does) +1 to hit/+1 to damage every so many levels, superb in ToB when using +40000 halberds etc. I would play a Neutral Evil halfling(for super theiving skills and real hobbit feet not just fluffy hats stuck to your real feet)or elvern swashbuckler.

But I also like Bards - especially Blades and Jesters although blades are the stronger apart from quarter normal lore or something, so instead of 10 every level you would only get 5 every 2 levels. Bards can use all the cool harps in the game and get a great stronghold, as well as the ability to cast mage spells up to level 6 spells and they can wear chainmail. I would play a Chaotic Neutral half-elvern Blade.

You can tell i dont like humans much, i just can't stand the little picture of them on the game screen. They look like idiotic people who have funny shoulder plate thingies. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Lucre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 04:20 PM   #5
Barlik Longbeard
Manshoon

There are two majior differences between the good side and the evil side:

1. The evil side has the best looking female in the game being Viconia.

2. The evil side has straight character. 1 Mage (Edwin), 1 Cleric (Viconia), 1 Fighter (Korgan), 1 Thief (), and ne1 else (spoiler in reverse ||| laahB fo enohT ni koveraS pu kcip uoY |||). I would recommend that the best person to choose is another fighter. A barbarian to be precise. A half-orc barbarian. Constitution 19 and strenght 19, then you get different bonusses from the eyes if you do evil ways of completing the quests in hell. (2+Strength n constitution) So you would end up with about 350 hp and a similar THAC0 to a fighter at the same level. You would be unstoppable. And you can still romance while a half-orc which is cool.