Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2005, 04:58 AM   #21
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

I like tabs and adblock. get those for IE, and make it prettier and I'll think of changing back.

The only non-made up combatibility problems I've seen with Firefox are in windows update page. And I don't really want anyone who claims to be Microsoft to be allowed to access my computer and look what patches I have installed.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:09 AM   #22
mad=dog

Quote:
Originally posted by Zebodog:
IMHO, IE is still the most compatible and stable browser.
I promised to leave the subject alone, but I will break that promise simply to ask what standards IE is compatible with? IE is NOT compatible with anything. Web development has been held back for ages because Microsoft fails to meet any intelligent XHTML, CSS or ECMAScript standards.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:22 PM   #23
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Best advice I've seen posted! I have heard people that are not afraid to admit that Firefox was the worst thing they ever did to their computer, and went back to IE afterward.
Where? What specific things caused them to not like it? And how can it be worse for their computer than spyware?

Quote:
Besides, if Firefox keeps growing in popularity, we'll start hearing more and more complaints about its security and other problems.
Nonsense. Firefox, like most Free Software (per gnu.org 's definition) is simply better in most ways to anything M$ has ever come out with. And it makes sense: programming for the sake of solving problems (or for fun, or for the learning experience) will always be better in the end than programming to see how much money you can get out of it.

Quote:
Right now, its just a popular thing to hate Microsoft.
Microsoft has real problems, and don't care about them. Microsoft wants to get money out of you, and to that end they make a very shoddy OS, and force you to pay for a newer version every few years. Why do you need to run anti-spyware and anti-virus apps constantly? It is not because of MS's popularity (look at the server market - the MSpowered machines are under more constant attacks than anything else, despite actually having a minority share) - it's because the alternatives actually make good software.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:33 PM   #24
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
IE loads much faster
Mainly because Firefox draws it's own UI, instead of having Windows do it. It does for numerous reasons. If you don't like it, look at K-Meleon, which is Firefox's rendering engine with a native UI.
There are other reasons for the slow startup ofcourse, but these are mostly fixed in the up-coming 1.5 release (expected in the next couple of months).

Quote:
has much greater compatibility
You've never done any web design, have you?

Quote:
security problems are non-existant if you practice safe computing.
Actually, that isn't quite true - IE's security problems can bypass firewalls, run arbitrary code without asking you, and are generally fixed quite slowly - Secunia reports two highly critical vulnerabilities in IE that have been unpatched since 2003! No FOSS program would have that happen. Ever. Infact, mostly these vulnerabilities wouldn't be allowed into the software in the first place.

Quote:
Of course, I don't visit those, er...adult sites so security really isn't a problem.
Popups. Banner ads. Random javascript. Proof of concept code that IE executes despite being told not to. All of these pose security problems. All of these pose security problems regardless of the site you are looking at. With Windows/IE, you need numerous protections - with Linux, you need at most a firewall and you are safe.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 03:26 PM   #25
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Aragorn1:
Tools, options, web features, make sure show images is checked
It is, but it still doesn't work.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 03:31 PM   #26
Zebodog

I haven't done any web design, but I've never had IE crash on me. I can't say the same for Firefox. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that every single web page on the internet runs on IE.

I find that the pop-up blocker in IE works like a charm.

I still stand by my original assesment. If open-source software was used as widely as MS products, you would have just as many exploits and vulnerabilities targeting open source as you do MS.

There's no point in hacking software that only a minority use. No matter how securely something is written or coded, somebody somewhere will find a way to hack it.
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 03:33 PM   #27
Zebodog

Quote:
Originally posted by mad=dog:
quote:
IMHO, IE is still the most compatible and stable browser.
I promised to leave the subject alone, but I will break that promise simply to ask what standards IE is compatible with? IE is NOT compatible with anything. Web development has been held back for ages because Microsoft fails to meet any intelligent XHTML, CSS or ECMAScript standards. [/QUOTE]I was focusing on the compatibility of web pages that the browser loads. I've never had IE choke on a webpage unlike Firefox.
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:28 PM   #28
mad=dog

Allright. Here's the deal. What you just said regarding compatibility is the same as with the security issue only the seats are reversed.
Truth to be spoken I think you use IE, not because it is superior, but because you are more comfortable with it. Like I said I have no intentions to convince anybody to change browser.
However I would like you to accept that there are people who are greatly unsatisfied with IE and who wish to use an alternative. Blatantly suggesting to change browser back to something they have rejected is by my standards extremely poor advice.
You should be grateful that there are strong competitors to Internet Explorer. You live in Canada and last time I checked Canada had a free market economy. Competition forces the producers to do their best and constantly improve their products. Competition is a good thing. FireFox will only force Microsoft to make IE better. That cannot posibly be bad.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:18 PM   #29
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I admit, that was a well thought-out post, mad dog.

After reading it, I had to post something in regards to how it made me stop and think for the first time in this thread.

I can't say that its convinced me...but it certainly has shut me up for now.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:19 PM   #30
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:

Snip-Felix

I find that the pop-up blocker in IE works like a charm.

Then you have missed the whole darn dock. M$ HAD to goto that pop-up blocker, but, have you ever noticed you cannot see the weather map change at weather.com when using internet exploder, and pop-up on? It BLOCKS ALL forms of inner window changes, even the ones you asked for.

Quote:

I still stand by my original assesment. If open-source software was used as widely as MS products, you would have just as many exploits and vulnerabilities targeting open source as you do MS.

Open source provides us with an alternative, and a 'mow better' and safer bargin for the free dollar.

Quote:

There's no point in hacking software that only a minority use. No matter how securely something is written or coded, somebody somewhere will find a way to hack it.

Really? Take a look around, you sir, are the only one on this topic either; A) Using internet exploder, or B) The only one who will openly admit to using it in public. There are hackers, don't get your drawers by Gates in an uproar now, but FF and Opera can be patched and distributed before the evening news can report it.

Don't be concerned with the market, that is a monopoly if there ever was, will be, or ever possibly could have been, and unfortunately it ain't gonna cahnge anytime soon. No matter what browser you use, M$ still owns you through that little bitty thing called an OS!

[ 08-21-2005, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Felix The Assassin ]

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote