Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-09-2005, 07:01 AM   #41
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I seem to be the senior citizen of the group here. I graduated high school in 1981. It was easily my favorite decade. The music, the movies, and something I'm stunned hasn't been mentioned yet...

THE ARCARDE GAMES!!!!

Asteroids, Defender, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Pac-Man, Missile Command, and so many many others that we thought were the greatest games possible. LOLOL! Now most screensavers take up more memory space. [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

The 80's were a decade of tremendous change. Michael Jackson was the self-appointed "King of Pop" and nobody argued the claim. He literally had the world at his fingertips. What he has become now compared to what he was in 1983 is one of the greatest tragedies in my lifetime.

Madonna also entered the music scene and changed the industry forever. Before Madonna, there were very few successful female singers or bands.

It also saw some of the most global-changing events. I was born the year JFK was assassinated. I was always amazed when my parents and people of their generation said they could remember the exactg moment they heard the news. I couldn't really grasp that concept....until the Challenger exploded. I was lying on my bed in my dormroom and my roomate was adjusting the volume on the radio when the announcement was made. We looked at each other in stunned disbelief and reality began to sink in when the announcement was repeated.

The Cold War finally came to an end with the collapse of the Soviet Union and the Berlin Wall finally came down - a feat nobody believed would ever be accomplished.

The fashions were..uhm...memorable..to say the least. Izod, Jordache, Reeboks, Ocean Pacific and many other "must have" brand names were born.

I had the Members Only jacket, but never owned anything with the alligator on it except for a pair of socks my aunt gave me for Christmas. I had the parachute pants and even owned a pair of the "checkerboard shoes" that Spiccoli wore in Fast Times at Ridgemont High I wore them until they fell apart at the seams. LOLOLOL!!!

The movies were fantastic and the music in the movies were great too. There was an entire generation of young actors beginning their careers and they gave us a wide variety our most memorable films. Some continued on to become mega-successes (Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson) and others were less successful (Anthony Micheal Hall).

Oh yeah, there was also a new trend in computers. IBM and Apple began producing "personal computers" that could fit on a table top instead of filling a room. BASIC and PASCAL were the languages of the day and I learned my first programming lessons on a TRS-80. It was the dawning of the age of miniature electronics. Sony had created the first Walkman and only the most privileged households could afford a VCR.

But I still come back to the movies, music and games as to why the 80's were my favorite decade.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:07 AM   #42
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

LA Gear sneakers with flashy lights in them.....

[ 01-10-2005, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Zuvio ]
Old 01-09-2005, 08:16 AM   #43
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

We walked around in circles singing, wohoho...
Old 01-09-2005, 04:20 PM   #44
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Supposedly Motley Crue is going to make a comeback. Who knows what will come of that, seeing as Vince Neil and Tommy Lee don't get along.

LOL, here's a video I found of Vince Neil recently (well before his makeover). Doing a chicken dance. Yes, a chicken dance. I don't know. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

http://www.mbony.us/vince/chickendance.wmv

Reality Show Recaps
Old 01-09-2005, 07:48 PM   #45
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I've never been a fan of Motley Crue, but they weren't good on Jay Leno (they made an appearance on New Year's Eve).
Old 01-14-2005, 05:43 AM   #46
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Motley Crue is pop with guitars, please.

All those rock band names are actually nothing special, musically, there is nothing interesting to hear. Now the seventies, that's another story
Old 01-14-2005, 11:46 PM   #47
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Hey, I agree Jr! Zeppelin's my favorite band!

(But I do admit to turning certain songs, such as "Tainted Love," mentioned above, up when I hear them on the radio!)