Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-21-2004, 10:44 PM   #11
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Ladyzeeke, you think a tabby has a strong personality? Ever had a siamese?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:43 AM   #12
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I think the fact that you are getting them together and as babies will mean that unless one or other of them has a really aberrant personality (which you should be able to detect when you're picking them out), they will get on just fine. My cat is the most timid thing you have ever seen - you name it, and she's frightened of it. She was terrified of our poodle when we got her. But after hardly any time at all, she had adjusted and she and Bubbles are bestest buddies now. When they're babies they're very adaptable and moldable .

Personalities are also dependent somewhat (though not totally, of course) on their environment and how they are treated. My grandparents used to have a poodle that was a tyrant and really quite unpleasant - very dominating and bullying and protective of her stuff. But when she stayed at our house for a few weeks, by the end of it, she had changed considerably and was much quieter and more friendly and sweet. Of course, as soon as she went back with my grandparents she reverted totally to her old ways, but nevermind . So if you treat your pets with lots of love and give them lots of attention (without spoiling them) then their personalities should reflect that. And, of course, really good obedience training where they know what the right and wrong things to do are and you have control over them.

Anyway, I tend to prefer female dogs to male because they do tend to be calmer even after boy dogs are desexed (also I hate hwo prominent boy dogs' privates are ), but I think a female or male cat would work fine. We've had both males and females and both sexes make wonderful pets. Definitely get them desexed as well.

If you haven't considered it, I would really recommend keeping your cat indoors. It is just much better for you, the cat, neighbourhood pets and wildlife. Cats are perfectly happy staying indoors as well.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:09 AM   #13
spydar

I agree that keeping a cat indoors (especially if you live in an urban setting) is a great thing, but if he or she does get out a couple times then expect them to want out ALL the time, it's like forbidden fruit or something.

I am going to plead with you to PLEASE ADOPT AN ADULT ANIMAL, since the adult animals in shelters GET PUT DOWN 75% MORE OFTEN than kittens or puppies. yes kittens and puppies are oh so cute and you want them to bond together while young but I assure you that most shelters should be able to provide you with a personality background of the animal and should be able to tell you if they get along with children/dogs/cats/old people/young people/etc. you should be able to find a compatible pair.

But whatever you decide, please please PLEASE consider adopting an adult, like I said they are far more likely to just get put down because people always want to adopt the puppies and kittens.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:40 AM   #14
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Yeah, they'll bond, sooner or later. At a certain point i had 3 budgies, 2 dogs, a cat, and an albino rat, and even that combination seemed to work.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:15 AM   #15
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I don't really mind an adult dog, but it would have be very young. I don't want to go through the same thing any time soon.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:18 PM   #16
Thoran
Galvatron

Apologies if this has been mentioned earlier but there is an easy way to insure they will get along. .. when you're at the shelter choosing a dog, bring it into the cat area and look for a cat that doesn't seem to care about the dog. Get the cat out and see if the dog is overly interested in the cat (mauling or chasing). If the dog doesn't act aggressively towards the cat, and the cat doesn't act defensive towards the dog... then you've got a winner!

I know a couple cats that don't mind dogs... but even they will get defensive if the dog is too agressive, so I think if you can find a mellow dog you should be safe by picking out a kitten that doesn't hiss when the dog is around it.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:24 PM   #17
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Good idea bringing the dog. We are having a hard time finding one that is small. We don't want to be like others and have to give it away. I'm sure the right one will come along. I got the SPCA print out. Boy there's some queer mixes in there. Beagel and G Sheppard..?
Old 12-22-2004, 07:12 PM   #18
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
Ladyzeeke, you think a tabby has a strong personality? Ever had a siamese?
Oh my goodness LOL, yes Lennon, have had two. Funny, both were different (we didn't have them at the same time, and both were males, neutered of course). The first one, Percy, lived for a good 17 or so years, got pretty fat his last 10 years too. He'd love to howl at the window and drive me insane LOL, even when I'd yell out "shut up percy!" he'd just run into another room and continue, louder LOL [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] He was more of a "man's cat" if you will, he just loooved my dad, and in his younger years when my dad got home from work, he'd greet him by standing in front of him and meowing, then in one leap could jump from the floor to his shoulder, in one jump, and my dad is 6 feet tall. As he got older his jumps got shorter and shorter, but he still, even when old, sick and feeble, would want to try. Great cat. (dangit now you have me all misty eyed with the memories!) The other siamese we had was very muscular and not affectionate much at all. I think my parents were trying to replace Percy when they got him, and realized it doesn't work.

But both of them (the Siameses) had a very STRONG personality, just in different ways, so I'd have to say they'd probably not be a good cat with a dog, but again, no way you can say for sure for any cat, as upbringing, etc. also plays a part.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 12-23-2004, 04:46 PM   #19
Maj
Drow Warrior

Here I will show you a picture! That will help you decide...

This is Merlin my cat licking my dog Lily. They are good friends. My cats and dogs have always been really good together. So as you can see that is a good idea and it can work great.

[ 12-23-2004, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Maj ]
Old 12-31-2004, 06:45 AM   #20
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

We started doing some serious looking over the last few days. We went to see one last night but it was way bigger than we expected. We're checking the paper too. It's hard though; everyone seems to be getting rid of big dogs mostly. We don't want to end up in that situation ourselves.

My wife broke down again after we saw the dog, but I told to say strong and that when the time was right it would just happen.

Cats, on the other hand are a dime a dozen!