Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 03-23-2004, 03:22 PM   #1
Barry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello everyone its my first post here so be nice to me.

I tried looking in search but i could't find anything really related to my question so here goes.

I am a total nooblet when it comes to A&D Rules i have done some reseach by reading the manual most of it and visiting a few sites on a better explanation of A&D rules.Like the 6 of spades site i think it is.As i dont won't to go to sites that will spoil the game for me really.Anyway my point is this when i come face to face with an enemy what weapon should i use.

For example if im fighting someone that is wearing say plate armour should i use a piercing weapon as a slashing weapon would just slide of the armour if you get what i am saying.And if somone is wearing leather armour i would use the slashing weapon as it would cut threw the armour.And i am guessin that crushing would jut hit any type of armour.

Or is this just complete nonsence and just use any weapon to kill unless your character says weapon innavective then i know to change.

Soory for typos me not good at spelling.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 03:35 PM   #2
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Crushing and bludgeoning weapons are good against plate mail. I think slashing's better against chainmail, but I'm not sure. I think the chain helps cushion crushing blows, but again, I'm not sure. Certain enemies can only be killed by certain types of damage. For instance, clay golems can only be destroyed by crushing or bludgeoning weapons.

If you can easily switch between crushing and slashing weapons, great. However, make sure you have potent magical melee and ranged weapons for everybody before you end Chapter 3. Make sure everybody has at least one proficiency star in a melee and ranged weapon if they can. (I know kensais can't use ranged weapons and not sure if archers can use melee weapons.) And be sure to have at least one weapon of +3 enchantment before ending Chapter 3.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:42 PM   #3
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Archers can use melees, also, i think its better to put all of ur profincies in the 1 type u wanna use, then make each fighter member good at the types u stil need.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
Barry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Pirengle Thanks for the tips on the Golems i would have never known about that,and the rest of the info i found very helpfull aswell.

Balinthelas that makes good sense i like that idea.

Thanks guys
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:14 PM   #5
Link
Jack Burton

No problem man [img]smile.gif[/img] We're here to help and are certainly not into newbie bashing. No sense in that. Feel free to ask anything to us, start a new discussion or something. This place serves all purposes!

Welcome to the board!!

[img]graemlins/balloon.gif[/img]
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:00 PM   #6
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
In the back of the BG2 manual there should be a table of Armor vs. Weapon types:

Armor.....Slashing..Piercing..Bludgeoning
Leather......0.........+2........0
St. Leather..-2........-1........0
Chain Mail...-2........0.........+2
Splint Mail..0.........-1........-2
Plate Mail...-3........0.........0
Fulll Plate..-4.......-3.........0

The numbers correspond to the AC adjustment from the armor's base AC when being attacked with different weapon types. So studded leather (AC 7) would provide an equal protection vs. bludgeoning as Chain mail (AC 5) with it's +2 penalty. And Splint mail (AC 4) would give an effective AC of 2 vs. bludgeoning.

As far as I can tell, there are no modifications to the damage done based on armor--they simulate the resistance of armor to certain damage types by making it easier or harder to hit something. So someone who hits you with a club will do the same amount of damage regardless of your armor, but their odds of hitting you (and therefore the frequency of hits) will be greatly affected.

I generally do not switch weapons unless I get an ineffective message (which is almost always due to the level of enchantment, not type). Remember that using the weapon your most proficient with gives you bonuses to hit, and so do enchanted weapons. A character who is proficient in swords and has a +3 sword should not switch to a non-magical staff or club even when facing an enemy in full plate. On the other hand, if you have a character who is proficient in multiple weapons, and has enchanted weapons of both types, then it makes sense to use the weapon type most effective for the situation.

[ 03-23-2004, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Olorin ]
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:08 PM   #7
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Geeze, i didnt get that kinda welcome.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:14 PM   #8
Link
Jack Burton

That's because I'm not always around to welcome everybody
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:35 PM   #9
Imrahil
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Olorin:
Remember that using the weapon your most proficient with gives you bonuses to hit, and so do enchanted weapons. A character who is proficient in swords and has a +3 sword should not switch to a non-magical staff or club even when facing an enemy in full plate.
Olorin makes a very good point here, Barry (in case you're looking for corroboration [img]smile.gif[/img] ). You're much better off just focusing on one weapon type than you are spreading your proficiency points out so that you can take advantage of your enemy's armor type (which you might not know til after he's dead anyway).

The penalties you might get for attacking a particular enemy with the "wrong type" of weapon are generally offset by the universal bonuses you get by being highly proficient (i.e assigning multiple ***'s) in your chosen weapon. Plus, if you attack an enemy wearing armor that is particularly vulnerable to your chosen weapon, so much the better.

To echo Olorin once more, if you have a character who focuses on Longswords (for example), it may be useful to keep a Club +1 handy for the rare time when you happen to fight a Clay Golem, but it's not worth wasting proficiency points (i.e. ***'s) on Club just for those rare times.

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 03:35 AM   #10
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Welcome to Ironworks Barry! [img]smile.gif[/img]

and belated Welcome to Ironworks Balintherlas! [img]smile.gif[/img]

good plan to avoid spoilers - six's site will see you right for most things and for your first run through if you stick to the topics you post with any questions you'll avoid the inevitable spoilers here

good advice so far i reckon but if you're playing with a party you don't need to worry about it too much as the weapon restrictions (and starting proficiencies) of the major NPCs will just about make sure you've got a range of weapon types - have fun
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote