Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-20-2003, 05:05 AM   #1
Annatar
Mephistopheles

My HD is also giving me a headache, and its probably time for me to buy a new one (Ziroc... lifes a b*tch hé? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] )

I now have a 20 GB (rather low-capacity), and I'm thinking of buying the following, 80 GB Maxtor 7200rpm ATA133 Liquid Bearing 8MB

Now some questions about it:

1. Liquid Bearing, what is it and what does it do?
2. The 8MB is probably cach memory (transffering data?)
3. Is this a good HD? or should I consider a other one?

Thanks in advance...
Old 04-20-2003, 09:05 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Liquid Bearing means it runs a little quirter. They'll tell you its more reliable, but Ive only ever had one drive suffer bearing failure, so its not a major concern.

The 8MB is cache memory. 8MB seems to be the standard on modern drives.

Only problem I can see with this drive is that its Maxtor - I dislike Maxtor for some reason. I think I saw something somewhere about low reliability. Western Digital might be a better bet.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:37 AM   #3
lethoso
Manshoon

liquid bearing is much, much quieter than other types...

8mb cache will make the harddrive perform slightly better than a drive with smaller cache, but this is largely irrelevant unless you run tasks which are highly taxing on the harddrive...

nothing wrong with maxtors really, every manufacturer has their share of problems... i would investigate what warrenty it comes with though, i think (unsure) one of the major hdd makers still offers 3 year warranty on their harddrives, which is better than the one year that the rest do....
Old 04-20-2003, 10:03 AM   #4
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Thanks for the help guys, another question if I decide to buy a 80 gig HD, what would be a reasonable price for it? (in € and/or $)

Old 04-20-2003, 04:42 PM   #5
Seraph
Quintesson

Well, if your willing to do the mailin rebate thing, then $1 a Gigabyte after rebate is probably about what you would spend for something in the 40-120GB range.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:07 AM   #6
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

some computers Have problems with HD with over 40 GB but if you had a 40 GB and that is your only drive then leave it in and add the 80 GB to it and use the 80 for Games and the 40 for word processing and photo storage. That is unless your old drive is just worn out. Don't mistake a full HD with a worn out HD I thought my main drive was worn out then I added 80GB to the 40 that was in that computer and transfered all my games to the 80 and the 40 started working better after taking the heavy load of the 2D & 3D RPG games off of the 40 and now my games are working faster and my Games don't slow down.
now I'm saving for Alien Ware with Two 200GB hard drives and the Pent4/3.2Mhz microprocessor it's suspose to be the Game computer to beat all game computers price tag $5,000.00 U.S. By the time I save the money to purchase it someone will build a better one for half the price. well then I'll purchase two. HA!HA!

PRICE OF Hard Drives
you should be able to get a good 80 GB hard drive for about $65.00 to $95.00 shop around on line and in stores in your country for the best price some times the best price may not be the best Hard drive but so far I have never had a HD burn out befor 5 years of using it except for two sony HD they only lasted 3 years and the two 60 gig with the name Oem on them have lasted 4 years so far and they cost me $70.00 for the pair the speed on them is only 5400 rpm but they work as well as my 120 gig 7500 rpm western digital so don't worry, what ever you buy will work just fine

[ 04-21-2003, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 04-21-2003, 12:14 AM   #7
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I've got 2 120 gig drives, one's partitioned with Windows 2000, the other with XP, so Far I haven't lost a single file...
Old 04-21-2003, 12:31 AM   #8
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Annatar:
Thanks for the help guys, another question if I decide to buy a 80 gig HD, what would be a reasonable price for it? (in € and/or $)

For the server, I just bought an 80GB Western Digital drive for $84.99! (The packages said it was 75Gb, so I guess thats why it was on sale. a package error!

Seagate and Western Digital are good, but the IBM drives are REALLY good, and have faster seek rate.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 04-21-2003, 06:27 AM   #9
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll shop around and see whats for sale, I have a limit of 120 € (IIRC that is 100 $ [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] ) so that should be sufficient for a high-quality 80/100 gb harddrive.

I'm planning to use my 20 gig for applications only (windows, word, photoshop, winamp ect...) and my new hd for games and game related files and movies/mp3s..

Old 04-21-2003, 11:29 AM   #10
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

The problem with computer hardware here and in Europe is that Europe is, as with everything, a lot more expensive. Still, on a budget of 120 Euros, you should be able to get just about anything you'd like in terms of hard drives. 120 Euros is actually worth a little more than you think, Annatar - the exchange rates are nearly identical these days.