Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 02-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
Aerich
Lord Ao

I suppose this applies to both IWD/HoW and IWD2, although IWD2's stat creation process may make this question somewhat more relevant to that game.

Can you roleplay with min-maxed stats?

My own thoughts here - first, IWD is a linear dungeon crawl where your max 6-person party is supposed to face and win more fights than an army battalion. They should be exceptional. OTOH, there is not a lot of realism in having super-idiots come up with smart tactics, or the best looking guy/girl around hanging out with the loser group of plug-uglies just to buy them stuff at a discount.

Many RPers may say that heavy min-maxing is unrealistic, and that's true. But is it acceptable if the character's creator comes up with a detailed background and plays the character accordingly? (Note: may be impossible to realistically play a character with 3 or less Int, as standing around and drooling a lot is not really an in-game option).

This is something I've pondered off and on for a while; I consider myself enough of a tactician to feel wrong about purposely deciding against the most advantageous route, but I have enough conscience to be slightly abashed about my bands of the (on average) ugliest and stupidest heroes ever to save the day.

As an example of character background, for IWD2 (I'm a constant party maker-upper), I'm considering a tiefling Rogue[3]/Necromancer[x]. The unfortunate realities of min-maxing make him so ugly and contrary that even the Legion of Chimera don't want him - he was terribly burned and disfigured by his demonic father in a fit of rage, and now has an obsessive-compulsive need to revenge himself on anything demonic. He's psychologically scarred from the incident, and cannot bring himself to cast fire spells. He won't use enchantment spells either, and reacts badly to anyone acting in a charming manner, because that's how his father seduced his mother. He's a rogue because that's the only way he can get money, as he's so ugly and obsessed that no one will employ him. He's a necromancer because he's trying to learn about his father's weaknesses by talking to those he's killed, and because the dead are the only people who do not comment on his disfigurement and obsessions.

Edit: he's learned that his father's demonic type is somewhat vulnerable to acid and cold, so he is trying to master those attack forms so as to cause his father maximum pain. Name? Tormentio.

[ 02-20-2007, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 02-20-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Cool character background man!

I'm a big time powergamer when it comes to cRPGs, but when I played PnP D&D, I wasn't at all.

If anything from the PnP experience tells me, it tells me that you can roleplay anything, but it might be kinda far-fetched.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:44 PM   #3
Luther
Manshoon

Haha. Very nice. That's a doable character. I think I can guess which portrait you used too [img]smile.gif[/img]
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:15 AM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

So the question is, is it roleplay to have a character with (mostly) min-maxed stats but a detailed and interesting background?

Btw, I haven't made the character yet, although I've planned it. I'm gradually building a party with interesting backgrounds, trying for maximum roleplay-ish aspects without giving up any power. I also want them to be fun to play. Suggestions welcome. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Roleplaying and Powergaming do NOT need to be mutually exclusive things. You can still be roleplaying with min/maxed stats.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:19 PM   #6
Black Swan Gauntlet
The Magister

Yep. RPing is just immersion. If you're playing the game as your characters would act, then you're RPing - even if your stats are something like 18/18/18/3/3/3 (Think Lenny from Of Mice And Men.)
Black Swan Gauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:32 PM   #7
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

There are nice looking people in the world who have butt ugly friends. So Charisma is not to much of a factor when role-playing. A Good Character may have butt ugly friends just because they are not bothered by the looks, wants to help, feels sorry so lets them tag along. An evil character may take butt ugly stupid friends just because they are not smart enough to question orders or when it comes to splitting the loot the evil character would prefer to take alot more as an accounting fee and can get away with it more, or needs to be the center of attention and there is no way he will have someone better looking. There are lots of relalistic scenarios were ugly dumb party members may be used. Another evil scenario is a mage having a butt ugly orc, basically said mage takes orc of street and gives him a life to do his bidding because said orc is nothing without said mage as mage puts it. Anyway just my two sense how butt ugly dumb characters can be justified.

Holder!! Holder!!

[ 02-22-2007, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:32 AM   #8
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

And IMHO, true charisma isn't based solely on how good looking you are. It has to do with your joie de vivre, expertise at manipulation, and ability to get people on your side. If you want a IRL scenario, I'm an average looking gal...nothing special. But I have a lot of friends and get a lot of dates not because I'm incredibly good looking, but because I have an innate ability to relate to others and draw people towards me. So I would say that I'm pretty charismatic. Conversely I've known some people that are real jerk offs and no one likes them but are incredibly good looking.

I'm not sure if that is what you are referring to in a RP sense. But if the RP definition of charisma is "good looking" then I have to believe that the background of the actual characters are a bit skewed.

However, if we're going to go by the assumption that low charisma=ugly, I would have to pump extra points into intelligence. All of those antisocial, unattractive folks have to do something with their time and in my experience. And if my high school experience is any indication, its usually something cerebrally enhancing. :-D

All of this coming from a confessed powergamer and novice RPer. But perhaps interesting nonetheless.

Just my two cents.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
Bithron
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
...Another evil scenario is a mage having a butt ugly orc, basically said mage takes orc of street and gives him a life to do his bidding because said orc is nothing without said mage as mage puts it.
Like Danny the Dog?