Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2006, 11:37 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have had this build in my PC for a few years now.

* Intel Maryville 2 D850EMV2, (Intel Tehama i850E)

* Intel Pentium 4, 1.8MHz

(They're not sorderd together like some I hear about).

Can anyone advise?

1. Can I replace the processor and keep the old Mboard and the change be worth it?
2. If I need to change the Mboard in order to get a faster processor, what do you suggest?
3. Is it cheaper to buy the processor and Mboard seperate or sordered together as one unit?

[ 01-01-2006, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 01-02-2006, 03:42 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

1)Yes you can, would it be worth it? No.

2)First things first, what's your budget? if your not afraid to venture from the heard, then you can only gain from choosing to go with AMD. I will make more suggestions when I hear about your budget.

3)Depends, I have never seen many Mobo/cpu combo's that didn't have a little extra on the price because they are generally sold in stores, if you are carefull and smart about it, you can get both seperatly and save yourself a few bucks.

From what I can see, that Mobo uses RD RAM which will be your first problem, none of the decent motherboards these days use RD RAM, also, do you ahve a video card in that AGP slot? (the brown one above the PCI slots, sorry not trying to make you sound stupid, just dont know if you know)
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks for your offer to help, Hive.

1. So you're saying that there is no processor available for my Mboard that would at least double my processor speed? I expected that answer. Oh well...I had to try.

2. I have no budget. I will spend what I have to spend, but I do not like buying the latest and newest equipment because technology grows and changes so fast that there is no reason to pay a premium when the prices will fall so much in a few months. I'll take advice on anything that is worth my time and will last long enough to get me through at least the next 3-5 years like this one has. I mean...my system works fine even now...but I am thinking of changing out before the end of this year.

BTW, I shop at Intrex as there is one real close to my house, so its easy to go in and get whatever I want. I can get better deals online, but I like buying the important stuff with my own hands so that those hands can strangle the person that sold the faulty equipment to me if need be.

3. DRAT! My RD RAM is useless in newer boards? I've got 1024 MB of the stuff. I guess you're going to tell me that SD RAM is what I'll be needing?

3,5. Video Card? NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200 (64 MB). Yeah, its AGP.

I initially wanted to just replace my video card with something worth the time, but I was told by another source that it was quite possible that the newer cards would not like my old mommyboard. Therefore, I decided to get a newer Mboard and Processor before the vid.card. Does that make sense?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:45 AM   #4
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Larry, I'l offer my two cents worth.

1. I would doubt it, there wouldn't be much sense in getting one anyway even if there was, if you're trying to future proof your computer.

2. Well, do you have a preference over Intel or AMD really is the next question, or do you want to go with the best bang per buck? Have you ever overclocked before, and would you be willing to try it?

3. Don't worry, a gig of SD RAM isn't too expensive these days, depending on the model you get. I would advise on a type or RAM after I knew whether you were going to overclock / if you wanted AMD or Intel.

3.5. Hmmm, so I take it you don't want to replace your vid card? This would mean you would be wanting to stick with an AGP board, as opposed to the new PCI - E boards?
Old 01-02-2006, 01:22 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Ross,

1. Nothing else to be said here. I see that a new Mboard is required to updgrade my processor.

2. I prefer Intel, but I cannot remember why. I used to have a good reason, but I have forgotten it.
I will not overclock.

3. I am just saddened that my RD RAM so quickly lost its worth in today's market. Here's me, boo-hooing.

4. As I mentioned previously, I did want to replace my vid. card...but am told that if I want to choose from the best ones...I'd have to have a better home for it.

[ 01-02-2006, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 01-02-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Ok. Well, personally I prefer AMD, but your choice your choice, still I'l offer two options, since I'm nice

Hmmm, you could sell the RAM on ebay or the like, still comes in handy for some things, particularly house servers etc. (I think I actually need some).

Ah, I get you on the video card now, thanks for clearing that up [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Also, sorry for not putting prices towards all of these, I wasn't sure if there was any point as all the prices I have are UK prices, and they will be slightly different with you.

Well, although you said you didn't really have a budget, it's nice to have some sort of budget to work with, for the pure and simple reason there are so many products out there, and such a huge difference in price.

So, here is a wee guide to get you started, I'm presuming the upgrade is mainly for gaming? I.e you're not a heavy video encoder or the like are you? If not then here goes...

Well, I was gona do an Intel one, but the range is really too varied in price for my limited Intel knowledge (I'm an AMD man) to sift through - basically give us an indication on how much you would like to spend on your CPU + Motherboard and I'd be better equiped to do that one.

As for AMD, there's a good choice available. For a motherboard I'd recommend either the Asus A8N SLi Deluxe, or the Asus A8N SLi Premium. If they seem too expensive to you, get back to me.

For a processor, there's a wide range.

Basically, the top end AMD models are the FX57 (single core) and the 4800X2 (dual core). While been something to drool about, they are extremely expensive (the FX57 comes in at over £700)

Well, look through the range of Venice CPU's, from 3000+ to the 4000+, basically, since you won't be overclocking, pick the one that best suits your budget, the one with the best 'bang per buck' being the 3000+ (shortly followed by the 3500+, which is what I have).

Alternatively, if you want to spend a bit more, you can get a dual core AMD Athlon 64 'X2'. These come in variations from the 3800+ to the 4800+ (pricey).

Having said all of this, I think it would be easier to discuss on MSN, so give me a shout if you want any info. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2006, 11:18 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks for all that homework! I love IW.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:32 PM   #8
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Larry, if I may, I just bought a whole slew of parts for a brand new build. Like you, I was an Intel person. In fact, I am writing this from my rock solid Pentium 3 1.2 Ghz Tualatain cpu, ASUS mobo with Intel 815E chipset. It has NEVER given me a problem and it does everything I ask of it -- at the moment. But our family needs a second computer and it is time I enetered the 21st century.

So after a month and a half of research with more hours spent on the internet than I had a right to, I finally settled on AMD because quite honestly it is the best out there. My CPU is a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core. My motherboard is an Epox 9NPA+Ultra (great reviews). The thing is I can upgrade my CPU and amount of RAM with no problem. Plus, it is 64 bit application ready.

Is it a high-end rig? No, but it is certainly a solid mid-range rig that I can easily put into high-end with just two upgrades. Basically there are many good motherboards out there by many manufactures. Plus, there is also a tremendous amount of CPUs available. Let us know what you decide!
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:25 AM   #9
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Oh, forgot to add Larry (and why the hell am I still up!), for RAM you should probably go for something like Corsair Value Ram, nice cheap stuff, which is very good quality if you're not overclocking, get the PC3200 stuff (if you go for AMD of course).

Also, if your store does some homebrand OEM RAM, that will be worth a look too, since it comes very cheap and is great stuff.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:23 AM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Great stuff guys. Thanks a lot! I'll take a more serious look at AMD now that I've been schooled.