Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2004, 08:13 PM   #21
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

The store itself is good Lord K, but the only worthwhile part of it is the electronics section [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2004, 08:47 PM   #22
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

honestly, we buy all of our stuff there, from movies, clothes and shoes, all the way to electronics, but the draw back is that most of the stuff we buy tends to be crap, and falls apart easy.... or the instructions on how to pout it together is not very well written, so you spend 2 hours just trying to figure out which part goes where.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:57 PM   #23
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

My take on it...

Fading.

Walmart grew to prosperity under Sam Walton's reign, but since he's passed, it's different. The WM near us is not a pleasure to go into -- the aisles are cluttered, the service is slow, the employees are unmotivated (to say the least), and shopping just isn't fun. It feels like a K-Mart did about 5-10 years ago... and based on what I see here, I expect Walmart to follow the same path and be eclipsed by something else.

Folks argue against WM, saying that you shouldn't shop with a company that's stealing business from local family-owned businesses. As much as it's painful to say, that's a load of hooey. If you run that family-owned business, you need to figure out why people should buy from you -- and it's not because you're local, or because they should help put your family through school. You need to find a niche to fill, with something like service (beatin' WM already) or product selection (for the things no one else carries) in order to win. Otherwise, you're a dinosaur who's dug your own grave.

Now, don't think I'm pro-WM, 'cause I'm not. I am pro-business, and more importantly, pro-consumer. Give the consumer a reason to buy at your store, and they will. Walmart gives people low prices as a reason to buy there. For folks who don't have a lot of money, that's a powerful incentive. Beat 'em on another front.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:36 PM   #24
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Economy Destroyer.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:41 PM   #25
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Doesn't exist.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:42 PM   #26
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Cheap UnderArmor
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 08-29-2004, 11:51 PM   #27
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

No Wal-Mart in NZ. But we do have K-Mart, who don't seem to be doing all that well incidentally. So, one or two words that describe K-Mart:

soulless convenience
Old 08-30-2004, 12:23 AM   #28
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Not here!

IMHO (And my HO is pretty ****in' top notch ) I think that any company that can become as big as they are deserves what they get. Its just business afterall.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:37 AM   #29
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

I like the ones about 'Not Here'
Well, I have two choices. Wally World, or the PX. Or Super Wally World, or the Commissary. I will say, competion is great, and the Ft Knox facilities have improved greatly since the Super Wally opened in Radcliff. Now, if I could just get back there already.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:02 AM   #30
Chewbacca
Zartan

Poverty Propagator