Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2004, 07:52 PM   #1
quietman1920

A girl I knew well is dead tonight. And I'm not sure what to say.

Years ago, in college, I had a very tight group of friends. These were the very first people to show me 'D&D' (3rd edition then, I think). We all played characters. I tried to play a thief, but would die often. I played a fighter mage once, but was torn limb from limb by lizard men. My only successful character was a naive paladin who didn't know he had 'lay on hands' until everyone in the party was almost dead. (The DM said that starting a bidding war at that point over the last remaining party heal might change my alignment (lol))

Careers and families have moved us around and some of us lost touch. Today I found that one of the people in our party died. Lisa was a well meaning girl, but she had a vindictive streak. She, to me Was the Drow Elf thief she played. She used to wear boots and a purple hooded cloak to games and always wanted to organize trips to the local Renaissance Festivals. I flirted with her from time to time and she flirted with me from time to time. And we had heated disagreements too. But we always brushed it off the next day. She was one of the people who instilled a true Love of the game in me. When people would play female thieves in games, I'd see her face when interacting with them. I'm not sure that I ever thanked her for that. I know that I'll never get a chance to now.

There are no resurrection scrolls; there are only memories and the love that lives on.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:04 PM   #2
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Oh that is so sad, especially the way you wrote and described, was very touching. I'm so sorry. *HUGS*

Reality Show Recaps
Old 06-30-2004, 08:30 PM   #3
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

it is sad just remember her in happy times, and always tell people of her, it well keep her memory alive
Old 06-30-2004, 08:31 PM   #4
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

A very beautiful tribute to a fallen comrade. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I only wish that she were alive to read it. Perhaps you could share it with her family or friends.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:54 PM   #5
SomeGuy
Unicorn

I'm very sorry to hear that. Losing close friends hurts quite a bit, but remember, photos may fade away, but memories won't, as long as they are kept alive.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 06-30-2004, 11:27 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

How sad . But your memories are very special ones and she'll live on in them.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:33 PM   #7
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

what attalus said...

Catch me if you can..
Old 06-30-2004, 11:39 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'm sorry to hear of your friend's passing, quietman. It's never easy, and I can tell by your words that she was special and had a strong impact on you.

To echo what others have said, you may want to share your thoughts and words with her family. It's always hard when a loved one passes on, and knowing that others felt the same way you did can make it more bearable.

Peace...

*B*
Minister, etc. (ret.)
Old 06-30-2004, 11:43 PM   #9
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

I'm sorry to hear about your friends death Quietman.... but the things you said in your post will make her live in the minds of others for the rest of their lives [img]smile.gif[/img]
"So many thoughts running through my head, I know what you feel, I know what you dread; When a room's filled with laughter, when a room's filled with lies, you're the only one I know that's in disguise..."
Old 07-01-2004, 07:39 AM   #10
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I'm glad you have such fond memories of her quietman. Cherish those memories, and be glad to have known her. She'll be forever young.