Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2001, 02:46 PM   #1
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Hiya!

Quite a few people (well, mostly me and DragonMage) are having difficulty because we can't delete posts if we've double posted, insulted someone radically and then changed our mind just as we hit Submit, etc.

Also, I've noticed that sometimes when I respond to a post, not only the preceeding post, but the one before that (i.e. the post the preceeding post is responding to) appears in my response, rather than just the preceeding post as before. That means I often have to go back in and edit (thus looking like a dill on an on-going basis.

Is there a special reason for these changes? Are the changes likely to change?

(Ho ho, had to edit anyway because first attempt came out completely incoherent. Accept thy dill fate, oh Cheetah! )
------------------

Ascended Mistress of Illumination

[This message has been edited by Silver Cheetah (edited 09-26-2001).]
Old 09-26-2001, 02:50 PM   #2
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Larry_OHF has also expressed his, um, frustration with this new change as well. So let me double the question: will these changes be changed again? Hmm?

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Owner/operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Honored to be a member of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

"Allright! We'll call it a draw."
Old 09-26-2001, 03:14 PM   #3
Grojlach
Zartan

Well... I think it's strange the feature was there in the first place... Of course, it will kill all double posts, but if you just edit out that message with a "sorry, double post" in it and delete your sig in that post, no one would be annoyed by it.
On the other hand, it's a not a very good feature IMO for different reasons, one of them to give someone the opportunity to delete posts from the middle of a discussion, making it almost impossible to follow for outsiders if those particular posts weren't quoted. Trolls can use the feature to cover up their tracks before the mods arrive and give them a proper spanking. Spammers can use the feature to secretly work on their post count. And so on.
...But oh well, who am I to say anything about this?

[This message has been edited by Grojlach (edited 09-26-2001).]
Old 09-26-2001, 03:21 PM   #4
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
Well... I think it's strange the feature was there in the first place... Of course, it will kill all double posts, but if you just edit out that message with a "sorry, double post" in it and delete your sig in that post, no one would be annoyed by it.
On the other hand, it's a not a very good feature IMO for different reasons, one of them to give someone the opportunity to delete posts from the middle of a discussion, making it almost impossible to follow for outsiders if those particular posts weren't quoted. Trolls can use the feature to cover up their tracks before the mods arrive and give them a proper spanking. Spammers can use the feature to secretly work on their post count. And so on.

Now, that's something I didn't really think of. But then, I'm honest and wouldn't pull stunts like trolls and major spammers do, so I wouldn't have though about it!

Still, it's very annoying for those of us who ARE honest and just want to delete an 'oops' or take back something we shouldn't have really posted.

But, either way, we'll adapt.

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Owner/operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Honored to be a member of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

"Allright! We'll call it a draw."
Old 09-26-2001, 03:21 PM   #5
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:

Um. All good points that I hadn't thought of! But I still want to be able to delete double posts..... (Happens when I hit quote instead of edit, and end up posting a second post that is different to the first, because I've edited it. So I want to keep version 2, but lose version 1.

------------------

Old 09-26-2001, 03:51 PM   #6
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Even editing double posts with a "sorry" will take up some space on the server.

I know that when I've said something way off target, I like the option of deleting. Yes, I can edit something, but deleting seems to make more sense. It wouldn't clutter the thread as much.

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.

"The only medicine for suffering, crime, and all the other woes of mankind, is wisdom." -- Thomas Huxley

[This message has been edited by Father Bronze (edited 09-26-2001).]
Old 09-26-2001, 03:57 PM   #7
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
That means I often have to go back in and edit (thus looking like a dill on an on-going basis.

SC - looking like a dill is a fate I have chosen to accept as the price for having a cool moving sig

------------------
Regards

Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 09-26-2001).]
Old 09-26-2001, 04:02 PM   #8
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Father Bronze:
Even editing double posts with a "sorry" will take up some space on the server.

Hehe, good point, only...
if server space really is an issue, they would have exterminated all spammers months ago, or just deleted old threads in the BG2 forum for example.
Old 09-26-2001, 04:04 PM   #9
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I don't know if this is a 'new' feature, b/c for me I sometimes can delete a post and I sometimes can't, very peculiar that The same for the quoting a post that had a quote in it...sometimes it is included sometimes not I think I will chalk it up to my growing collection of the unknown!

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 09-26-2001, 04:25 PM   #10
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
SC - looking like a dill is a fate I have chosen to accept as the price for having a cool moving sig

How does that work then, Mouse:

------------------