Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 08:33 PM   #1
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Mad

In the case of a solo Ranger/Cleric, is DCing or MCing better?

A DC Ranger-->Cleric may be more durable, but they would lack some fighting ability and ranger spells later. Also, I see a potental dificulty surviving with a solo lvl 1 cleric in DE.

An MC Ranger/Cleric would be powerful throughout, get both lists of spells, but lack some HP.

I always take an MC. Would anyone here take a DC? if so, what makes them any superior to an MC?
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:20 PM   #2
NobleNick
Quintesson

Marty4,

As much as I am a fan of DC characters, the many levels the solo MC racks up, and the constant availablity of skills makes him look like the better pick for a solo adventure. BTW: Although I've never soloed (doesn't look fun to me at all!), I have heard the C/R tauted as a good mix.

DC characters have a lot going for them. They are much more versatile for tailoring a character's skill set; and well-thought-out DCs are the model of efficiency in the use of XP to pack extra skill sets into a party. I LOVE 'em!! But one very big drawback is their vulnerability just after the DC. In a multiple character party, they have some help; but a solo DC character could be expected to get into very big trouble.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 11-23-2004, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:34 PM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

Absolutely MC. You won't actually lose many HP, as the base HP for F vs. C is 10:8. You'll lose 1 HP per level, and level up half as fast (but still plenty fast). Further, those clerical spells will be a major help in the early areas. Something as simple as Protection From Evil can be the difference between failing your save against a ghoul's paralysation (and dying) and fighting on. As a bonus, by the time you get to DE, your clerical side will be good enough to turn some of those cold wights.

Like you, I shudder at running a lvl 1 cleric in DE. I started to run a solo cleric once (with intention to dual to necro in DE; abandoned the idea for obvious reasons), and it took FOREVER to kill anything with my one attack/round and loser Thac0. And that was just against pairs of yeti, not packs of cold wights.

The other reason to do MC is that the character will likely end up in the high 20s, level wise. In that case, it seems a shame to put all those XP into cleric instead of upping the ranger's Thac0. You could wait until lvl 13 to dual, but as you stated, a lvl 1 cleric has some survivability issues that late in the game. You could go with a duo instead (say a F/M/T) and have another character to "carry" a DC R/C, but I'm not sure if you want to do that.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:17 AM   #4
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks. Actually, I was considering a duo, since I'm eventually going to have a multiplayer game with my friend. If he was there to "carry" me, would DCing be better? And what level would be good?
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 04:02 PM   #5
jmsteven
Dungeon Master

For a soloing, it's far more advantageous to be a multi-class.

If you're looking for a duo that covers everything try:

Half-elf Cleric/Ranger
Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief

You don't need to be optimized to beat the game, you just need to be more powerful than your enemies.
jmsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 01:38 PM   #6
Otto
The Magister

Marty,
If you don't have HOW installed, you might try soloing as a single-class ranger, which though differently advantaged than the C/R, is quite powerful.

Single class IWD rangers have a much better spellbook and more HP than the modified HOW rangers, and you'll be able to fight with any weapon, heal, and sneak around very efficiently.

For hated enemy, I prefer "cadaverous undead", since there are lots of wights, zombies, ghouls, ghasts and mummies throughout the game. There are also a lot of skeletal undead, which is also a good choice. Alternatively, I also like "giants" since these inlcude yetis, veerbeeg, ettins, frost giants, and fire giants. You encounter one type of giant or another throughout most of the game.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:08 PM   #7
Otto
The Magister

I just thought of something: If you don't have HOW installed, I think the C/R gets his druid spells starting at 1st level. With HOW, the C/R only gets them as a ranger normally would. This makes the IWD C/R a bit more powerful at the lower levels.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote