Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2002, 12:03 PM   #71
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Oh yes, me too! Very happy that people who are "fascinated by torture and death" are still there to protect me! Let's hope he will save me when the other people fascinated by torture and death get me in their clutches
I will save you Melusine!! I wouldnt wish you any harm. Now your attacker would be a diffrent story. There wouldnt be much left to put on trial, well unless you made me leave him breathing.

[ 09-21-2002, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: The Hunter of Jahanna ]
Old 09-21-2002, 12:06 PM   #72
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
I will save you Melusine!! I wouldnt wish you any harm.
Well thanks, that's a reassuring thought. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

250, don't worry about it. Obviously it's a touchy subject for both of us and I should know better than to rehash it all again like we did before

[ 09-21-2002, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 09-21-2002, 12:11 PM   #73
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
I will save you Melusine!! I wouldnt wish you any harm.
Well thanks, that's a reassuring thought. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

250, don't worry about it. Obviously it's a touchy subject for both of us and I should know better than to rehash it all again like we did before
[/QUOTE]of course. mmm, and I should know better... wait, dont continue [img]tongue.gif[/img] it wouldnt end if we keep bowing each other like the Japanese custom.

"I am sorry"

"No, I am sorry"

"No, I am sorry"

"No no, I am sorry"

"Sorry sorry"

"Really sorry, please forgive me"

"No you need to forgive me"

"No, I am the one that should say sorry"

lol

anyways, be good. lets hope Ziroc get on and take care the lil prick.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:13 PM   #74
Melusine
Dracolisk

LOL 250! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] no no no please accept *my* apologies...

And like I said in the "why I am leaving IW" thread... just ignore the kiddie - mods have been alerted [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2002, 12:16 PM   #75
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
LOL 250! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] no no no please accept *my* apologies...
Sigh, don't start... nvm, apologies accepted, and please accept mine
Old 09-21-2002, 12:18 PM   #76
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

You guys have a funny way of letting a topic drop.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:34 PM   #77
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

Okay, I deleted the post, Melusine. I think that convicted rapers and killers should not be killed, unless they are absolutely sure that they did it. Otherwise, I think that they should be locked up for the rest of their life.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:37 PM   #78
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Willard:
Okay, I deleted the post, Melusine.
So did I Just doesn't serve any purpose replying to trolls...
Old 09-22-2002, 02:26 AM   #79
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Mel: I agree on the 'justice, not vengeance' notion. Murder has its' place on, and only on, the battlefield (yes that sounds wierd but it's what I believe). What is the difference between a demented criminal who immobilizes, rapes and kills his helpless victims and a state which does the exact same thing but through a 'lawful' process. The lawful process itself? It's still holding down and murdering a helpless and defenseless person. The pleasure or satisfaction gained by the executioners only serves to reinforce the presence of peacetime murder within the communal psyche.
Life imprisonment serves well, if it is indeed LIFE imprisonment (and utterly solitary confinement need not be an expensive drain on the tax payer's pocket).[/QB]
Heirophant,

The difference between a "demented criminal" and the "state" is two-fold. FIRST, (and by far the most important difference), is that the state is punishing a member of society specifically for breaking the rules of that society and causing severe (and possibly irreparable) harm to another member of the same society. The criminal has no such "legal justification" for their actions. They harmed an innocent person....and it is the State's DUTY to punish them for it.

Second, as you pointed out, the State IS following a "lawful" process. One that has been chosen - and accepted - by the majority of that State's citizens.

You mentioned the "pleasure and satisfaction" gained by the executioners, but that is merely speculation on your part. Most executioners are simply State employees doing the job they are paid to do. UNLIKE the criminal who DOES derive a great deal of "pleasure and satisfaction" from his abuse of a helpless victim. Studies have shown that castration would NOT rehabilitate a rapist for this very reason. Rape ISN'T a "crime of passion". It's not about sexual pleasure...it is about having "power and domination" over a helpless subject.

You also pointed out how quickly "people who appear kind and gentle on the surface" could be so fascinated with mutilation, torture, and murder. The implication being that these people aren't REALLY kind and gentle after all. Well, I guess you'll have to add my name to that list too.

I am a Born-Again Christian who believes in the teachings expressed in the Bible. It is true that the Thou shalt not kill is one of the 10 Commandments handed down by God directly to Moses (number 6 to be exact). However, this Commandment applies to the individual, NOT the State. The Bible also teaches that Gov't, Society, State, etc DOES have the right to condemn a criminal to death for heinous acts against it's members. That is the only way to protect the larger majority.

AFA as people having a "fascination" with the mutilation and torture; any psychologist will tell you that it is a natural response to fantasize about punishing those who have wronged us. It is a perfectly legitimate step in the healing process. That doesn't mean that those people would torture the criminal if given the chance (although I suspect Hunter might be the one exception here. ). Most of us would NOT actually carry out the acts mentioned. But fantasizing helps us regain some of our "empowerment" and "feeling of control".
Old 09-22-2002, 09:59 AM   #80
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Wait...I gotta better idea...Rapists should receive madatory sex-change...That would be good enough for me. Let them lose their "weapon". When a person kills...you take away their weapons...and it is a felony violation of parole to own a weapon ever again...so...take his pecker away from him and return the #*@% to society if you wanna. But just take away his "weapon" first.
You know, this has proven in a few examples actually done to be surprisingly effective, not just with rapists mind you, mainly rapists who coupled it with murder.
I was listening to an interesting a very interesting report a while ago, and it detailed the possibility that many murders stem from a far too high concentration of testosterone.
With a sample of males who had raped and then killed several times in a row all said they could not control themselves in the situation, and then when they had their "weapon" removed to stop them ofending, they found they lost the urge anyhow.
I can;'t remember all the exact details, but this method could be more effective than some think.