Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2001, 09:46 PM   #1
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

Still just in Chapter 2 but already pretty impressed with story and NPC interaction. (I'm finding one quest interrupting another is somewhat annoying, however.) I'm currently headed to the de' Arnise stronghold to fulfill Nalia's quest.

Party right now is me/cleric-thief, Yoshi, Anomen, and Nalia. Thieving and healing/priest spells I've got well covered. I realize the party could probably use some more wizard spellcasting, but at least for now Nalia seems be doling out the mage spells pretty well.

I'd been considering leaving the party size at four to level up faster. But I now recall reading that you level up very fast in BG2 anyway. Better to just fill up the party to six?

Also, what are some of your favorite BG2 NPCs? (I figured I wouldn't take on any of the reappearing ones from BG1, just so that I can try our as many new ones as I can.)
Old 08-24-2001, 09:56 PM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Depends on the purpose. If you're looking for humor, add Minsc and Jan. If you're looking for a well-built party, add Keldorn and probably Mazzy. Keldorn is an Inquizitor (Inquisitor?) and so can wield one of the best swords in the game. I've never had Mazzy, but I heard she is really good with the Bow. If you need more magic-wielding NPC's, find Edwin (also very humorous), and Jan is pretty good with magic. Aerie is a must for every party. The only Mage/Cleric in the game. She can be very useful. Now that I think of it, I just might make one..
Old 08-24-2001, 10:12 PM   #3
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Minsc is a hold over from BG I but I can never have a party without him. He is just too funny and he is a great melee guy to boot. Jan is FUNNY! the fact that he is a great thief and a decent spellcaster makes life even more grand.

Anomen(fighter/cleric dual classed) is probably my current favorite for strongest npc. I have played all the way through with him and when he starts gaining levels its amazing how strong he can get. I find Jaheira very annoying but she actually gets pretty strong because high level druids are pretty powerful. Bad thing though is that she levels slowly. Aerie I have used quite a bit and whenever I use her I always swear I never will again. I am not sure why she is such a hard habbit to break. I dislike her slow leveling. Late in the game when she is many levels behind everyone else is when you start to regret having wasted a slot on her (by the end of the game my mages better be casting the mega powerful level 8 spells and such).

Edwin is a sweet mage. Keldorn is a very solid paladin. Considering the strength of 1 of the weapons he can get in the game he becomes a very good choice.

PS: you will notice some good character interaction as the game progreses. I like to have Jan (illusionist thief) in a party with anomen (fighter/cleric) and keldorn (paladin). the clash of personalities is very humorous
Old 08-24-2001, 10:19 PM   #4
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis:
Still just in Chapter 2 but already pretty impressed with story and NPC interaction. (I'm finding one quest interrupting another is somewhat annoying, however.) I'm currently headed to the de' Arnise stronghold to fulfill Nalia's quest.

Party right now is me/cleric-thief, Yoshi, Anomen, and Nalia. Thieving and healing/priest spells I've got well covered. I realize the party could probably use some more wizard spellcasting, but at least for now Nalia seems be doling out the mage spells pretty well.

I'd been considering leaving the party size at four to level up faster. But I now recall reading that you level up very fast in BG2 anyway. Better to just fill up the party to six?

Also, what are some of your favorite BG2 NPCs? (I figured I wouldn't take on any of the reappearing ones from BG1, just so that I can try our as many new ones as I can.)
Mages??? Hell, you have no warriors! If I am playing with 6 characters, I try for 2 warriors, 2 priests, 2 magic-users, and 1 thief (obviously need multiclassing or dual-classing to fill this).

First, how are your thieving skills? Did you max out open locks and find/remove traps (80% + in each)? If so, drop Yoshimo. Yoshimo may be the best thief in the game, but you really don't need him if your main character is a thief. Even if your character's open locks and find/remove traps are low, you can use potions and items to increase them. You can use potions of invisibility to aid your sneaking around until you raise the above 2 abilities to 100% (if you attack from behind when invisible, it will be counted as a backstab). Thus, you should handle the party's thieving needs, and leave Yoshimo in the dust.

Second, Anomen and you fill your priest needs. Anomen is also a decent backup fighter, but not good enough to be your primary warrior.

Thus, if you are intent on playing the game with 4 characters, you will probably want to add Minsc (he is very versatile, being good in both missile and melee combat) to fill Yoshimo's slot. He will be in the Copper Coronet, unless you left him in his cage in Irenicus's dungeon. If you can't get Minsc, add Mazzy (great with missiles, but will probably want Anomen to be your tank), Valygar (also versatile, but his inability to wear heavier armors will limit his ability to tank for the party), or Keldorn (AWESOME tank, but not good at all with missiles).

If playing with 6 characters, keep Nalia as your mage, but also add either Aerie (she'll be a third cleric in addition to mage; a little overkill) or Jan (good backup mage plus awesome thief; you don't need his thief skills, but you do need a mage). Drop that NPC for Imoen when you get her back (she's more of a straight mage, but bring lots of spell scrolls for her, since she will have been gone from the party during the time you were earning experience). Then, after dropping Yoshi, add two warriors. Since you have backstabbing in the party, steer away from Valygar. I rather like the idea of Keldorn and Mazzy (best tank and best archer), or either of the above with Minsc (more versatile, plus Minsc has some cool interactions).

I hope this helps!

------------------

Death is only the beginning...