Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 10:30 PM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

(Klorox's Ultimate Powergaming Party, version 2)

Character 1:

LG Deep Gnome
Rog3/Ftr4/Pal3/Illusionist20
S: 16 D: 20 C: 14
I: 18 W: 5 Ch: 1

This is my main tank for normal mode, and can get a very high AC in HoF by improving DEX all the time. I'll be able to take a lot of skills for this character as well, making him a great scout/thief type. I won't take Illusionist levels until all of the other levels have been taken, as they are more useful later on. He can backup as a great second-rank blaster as well. This character should do well in the BattleSquares.

Character 2:

LE Deep Gnome
Rog1/Monk2/Ftr2/Rng1/Illusionist12/Cleric(Bane)12
S: 8 D: 20 C: 11
I: 14 W: 20 Ch: 1

This is my decoy. He'll be a backup spellcaster in normal mode, and does alright in combat after Weapon Finesse is taken. In HoF, he'll use that dagger that boosts INT. Cleric 1 is taken early in the build, but no more than that until the rest of the levels have been achieved (to avoid XP penalty as long as possible).

I believe I should be able to get both of these guys to AC 72 (or really close anyway) in HoF mode. Having two melee capable characters is a nice boon.

Character 3:

NG Female Drow
Cleric (Lathander) 17/Druid 13
S: 18 D: 18 C: 18
I: 5 W: 18 Ch: 5

I'll have this one take the Flame enhancing feat to enhance her powerful domain spells. The 13 Druid levels are there for Barkskin in HoF and because a Cleric doesn't get much better after level 17, so I may as well take advantage of her high WIS. In normal mode, this character could see a decent amount of melee combat, but come HoF, she'll be firing missiles when not casting spells.

Character 4:

NE Drow Male
Sorcerer 19/Bard 11
S: 8 D: 6 C: 16
I: 16 W: 14 Ch: 20

He's my main blaster and diplomat. Will do his best to stay far, far away from any combat. The Bard levels aren't taken until in HoF mode, and even then, they'll be squatted until at least level 5 (the Luck song).

All of the characters have MR, which is a great bonus. I'll consider adding two more characters sometime later in the game (another blaster of some kind at least), but I've always been fond of a smaller sized party. This is an extreme powergaming party, and is made to tackle both regular and HoF modes.

Any and all advice is welcome. I plan to "set sail" with this party tomorrow night. [img]smile.gif[/img]

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

I have to say that I'm uncomfortable with having so many multiclasses on a character such that its "major" spellcasting class isn't a very high level, relatively speaking.

In regards to character 1, I don't see it as being dominant in Battle Squares. Don't forget, it has a 3 ECL penalty, and so might have only 7-8 levels by the time you get to that portion of the game. I'd also be concerned in that, party-wide, you will not have wizard/illusionist levels added until late (even more so because of ECL penalties), leaving the sorc as the only arcane support.

With character 2, I do not understand taking a ranger level. Yes you get "free" dual-wielding, but why is that so important for a character to whom you have assigned the role of decoy? 12 cleric levels seems excessive - why 12? This character will develop very slowly and may be a one-trick pony even when it's done.

On character 3, again, I do not see the point in cutting off development in a major spellcasting class before lvl 20+. My preference would be to take both a cleric of Lathander and a druid in separate classes so as to get the benefits of both. The cleric focuses on healing and nuking, and the druid focuses on summons and nuking - if you want a tank, install the Weidu shapeshifting mod, which requires 21 lvls of druid to get the "best" shape. The cleric takes Greater Spell Focus: Evocation and Spirit of Flame, and druid takes Greater Spell Focus: Transmutation and Scion of Storms. Later on in character development, the druid can take GSF: Evocation and SoF if you wish.

Character 4: I'm not a fan of the Sorceror/Bard combo. With only 19 Sorc levels, you are reducing the potential of the best HoF caster. What's the benefit? Bard songs? Bard songs are frankly unnecessary to beating the game, and are the more effective the earlier they are accessible. War Chant of the Sith is not going to be much help against the Lost Followers in HoF (It'll probably take that long to achieve lvl 30 for this character), and the sorc would be much better off casting in combat rather than singing.

My total recommendation would be to split up the party duties of some of the above characters. I've already touched on the cleric + druid combo, and I'd dump the bard levels on the sorc and the clerical levels on character 2. If you really want a full-potential Dreadmaster, take one that is close to pure class and pump Wis at every opportunity. A Dreadmaster's power in HoF is in Symbol of Hopelessness, Mass Domination, and other will-affecting spells, not in the amount of buffs a lvl 12 caster can use.

Another strong party for HoF is one that is all good and has 2 or more clerics. Holy Word is one of the best (read: easy to abuse) clerical spells available - stuns all non-good for one round with no saving throw with a casting time of 1.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

Here's what I said on the other board, posted here for the general comments on beating the game and powerful parties in general.

--------------------------------

I wouldn't personally find this party all that powerful or easy to play - which to me is a measure of its power.

It seems like you are focused in on certain HoF benefits (e.g. 72 AC) to the point where you are willing to give up power in other areas. HoF can be completed with relative ease by pure-class or 2-class characters, maybe even easier than the party above. Summons are a fairly effective way to make up for the lack of an ultimate-AC tank.

Consider the following:

1) Fighter[4]/Battleguard of Tempus - pump Str
2) Druid - GSF: Transmutation & Evocation, elemental feats, weidu mod
3) Morninglord of Lathander - Spirit of Flame, GSF: Evocation, healing
4) Rogue[2]/Wizard - the do-everything character
5) Sorceror - GSF: Ev & Necr, elemental feats
6) Sorceror - GSF: Ench & Necr and whatever else you want

Every character has a major role and can take on at least one other role if necessary. They are all extremely good at both their primary and secondary roles. While this party certainly lacks an ultimate-AC tank for HoF mode, its sheer power of spells enables it to win through.