Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2004, 08:51 AM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Light Bulb

Do any of you remember an incident back in the early 1980's when a professional wrestler attacked a TV reporter who asked him if pro wrestling was all fake? The wrestler became very angry at the question and slapped the man in the side of the head with his open palm. The blow was strong enough to knock the reporter to the ground. When he stood back up, the wrestler hit him again with the other hand, knocking him to the ground a second time. The assault also caused some permanent hearing damage to the reporter, who filed suit against the wrestler and his organization both.

This would have been around 1981-1983 and I've heard that the wrestler in question was either Hulk Hogan or Sid Vicious. Does anybody remember this incident? If so, who was the wreslter - and more importantly - can you tell me where I could find video of the actual interview. Since this was a fairly significant event as wresltling was beginning to experience a new surge of popularity, I would guess the vides HAS to be archived somewhere on the internet.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:35 AM   #2
ryaldin
Elminster

I wish I could help, but I hung up my yellow and purple spandex long ago...
Old 03-12-2004, 10:04 AM   #3
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

'twas probably just fake anyway

Edit: may it be this thingy..?

Quote:
Who is John Stossel?
He's a reporter for the ABC program 20/20. In 1985 the show did a piece "exposing" wrestling's secrets. Wrestler David Schultz(known as Dr. D. to wrestling fans) was interviewed by Stossel and when Stossel asked Schultz if wrestling was fake, Schultz got furious and slapped Stossel a couple times. Stossel sued the WWF for the incident and received a rumored $280,000 for damages.

Schultz was outcasted from wrestling after the interview and hasn't wrestled a match ever since. He states to this day that WWF officials told him to Assault Stossel.
( http://www.wrestleview.com/info/faq/wwe.shtml )

[ 03-12-2004, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Gnarf ]
Old 03-12-2004, 10:39 AM   #4
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

I remember that incident. I have mentioned it to a few people, but nobody else I know ever saw it. I have been trying for years to remember who the wrestler was. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:28 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I came across this reference, but no video:

Vader was on a Kuwaiti talk show in April of 1997, and when host Bassam Al Otham asked whether or not wrestling was fake, Vader essentially lost control and attacked the host. He was detained in Kuwait briefly following the incident, then was allowed to return to the US pending trial. The end result was a whopping $200 US fine and a proverbial smack on the wrist.

I also found this...

Is there downloadable video footage anywhere on the internet of that 1985 talk show incident where Hulk Hogan accidentally dropped Richard Belzer and busted his head open?

Unfortunately, no. For those unfamiliar with the incident, it occurred on 03/28/85. Hulk Hogan and Mr. T. appeared on Belzer's show "Hot Properties" to promote the first WrestleMania, which was held three nights later. (more)

Don't know if that helps or not...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:04 PM   #6
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Gnarf:
'twas probably just fake anyway

Edit: may it be this thingy..?

quote:
Who is John Stossel?
He's a reporter for the ABC program 20/20. In 1985 the show did a piece "exposing" wrestling's secrets. Wrestler David Schultz(known as Dr. D. to wrestling fans) was interviewed by Stossel and when Stossel asked Schultz if wrestling was fake, Schultz got furious and slapped Stossel a couple times. Stossel sued the WWF for the incident and received a rumored $280,000 for damages.

Schultz was outcasted from wrestling after the interview and hasn't wrestled a match ever since. He states to this day that WWF officials told him to Assault Stossel.
( http://www.wrestleview.com/info/faq/wwe.shtml ) [/QUOTE]That's the one, Gnarf. I couldn't find any free videos of the incident, but ABC is nice enough to offer the entire 4-part story on VHS and DVD here.... Dr D vs Jon Stossel video

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:14 PM   #7
Djinn Raffo
Ra

It also happened in Kuwait if i recall during GW1 i believe. Someone.. I can't remember who.. kicked the table aside and shoved the reporter for asking the same question.. I can't recall which wrestler it was.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:34 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Was that Vader in 1997? I came across that in my searches.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:14 PM   #9
Animal
Gold Dragon

And that's the bottom line...cause Stone Cold said so !!!