Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-06-2001, 10:34 AM   #41
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

You can separate posts into 4 distinct categories:

1. Posts about game topics (BG,BG2,W&W,IWD)
2. General discussion posts (Napster, polls about music, Taliban, sports etc)
3. Conversation posts between people
4. Pure SPAM (junk posts which have no relevance which people post just to get their numbers up)

I'd like to think that most of the spam has been keep to the two or three post devoted to it. It is not like people are just taking control of threads just to spam. At least, that is what I've tried to do.

BK
Old 03-06-2001, 10:39 AM   #42
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:
I'd like to think that most of the spam has been keep to the two or three post devoted to it. It is not like people are just taking control of threads just to spam. At least, that is what I've tried to do.

BK
AND I do try to take the thread topic in mind before I post something. Either that or I am directly responding to/answering something. The Quote function makes this a lot easier, don't you think, Memnoch?

BK
Old 03-06-2001, 10:52 AM   #43
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:
AND I do try to take the thread topic in mind before I post something. Either that or I am directly responding to/answering something. The Quote function makes this a lot easier, don't you think, Memnoch?

BK
You bet! The reason I quote is to reference what I am responding to so that my message has more impact.

That, and to piss Yorick off (j/k!)

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-06-2001, 10:58 AM   #44
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I will admit that I am guilty of ing just to spam
However, when there is a thread dedicated to spamming, you have to expect people to use it to
All other threads that I have seen have remained spam free and actually remain on-topic, for the most part. I agree with Cloudy that this spam addiction will wear off and the GD forum will revert back to what Memnoch once referred to as a "coffee house" atmosphere.

------------------
Old 03-06-2001, 11:01 AM   #45
Raistlin
Manshoon

Yours Truly posts less now because of the spam explosion. Too much time spent trying to catch up. Most of my posts will be on the "answer" board as opposed to the "spam boaard". I personally feel that while everyone is claiming not to be spamming for rank, the reality is that there are tons of posts that add very little to the conversation.

------------------

Balance
Old 03-06-2001, 03:27 PM   #46
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

So this is where you all are, hehe. I just found this today.

This is just great, it is working perfectly with separated "topics".
Old 03-06-2001, 03:34 PM   #47
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

Mind you if some spamm and spamms in a thread you could ask them to stop or make a compliant, I made a vieled one in the Put your name here if your a spammer thread, it involed rubarb tarts.
Old 03-06-2001, 04:00 PM   #48
The.Relic
Red Dragon

does not possess the quick wit, or intelligence to participate in the spam fests. I will probably never have many stars by my name, but I will continue to lurk, reading, snickering, shaking my head in bewilderment at times, and sometimes reply to threads if it seems that my limited intelligence and even more limited wisdom may be appropriate. But I will be here unless fate dictates otherwise.
Old 03-06-2001, 04:32 PM   #49
Stealthy

Donut your posts are always worth reading, quality not quantity is what matters.

Quote:
Donut sits nervously, lurking in the corner, shuffling his feet and sipping his pint. Trying to make sense of the chaos which has erupted around him. Listening to the erection of this modern day 'Tower of Babel' where everyone speaks at once, often unintelligibly and where everyone moves on before the conversation has finished.
He looks for old friends amongst the confusion, sometimes he glimpses one but they quickly move on to other threads. He sits and dreams of quieter times when the important thing was what a person had to say rather than how often they spoke. When the endless pursuit of possesions and wealth (stars) was not the sole purpose of our existence in the electronic ether. When people had the time to listen to and reply to the words of others and where voices did not go unheard in the overwhelming noise and confusion.

He notices new friends joining the conversation and hopes that they will find a place amongst the group, taking as much pleasure from the membership as he once did. He believes that things will quieten down eventually and that order will be restored.

Meanwhile he sits, and watches, sits and watches.

As for Memnoch, I could put all his post in quotes, but this will suffice:

Quote:
Good spam, in moderation, helps break down barriers between people and get them more comfortable in interacting with each other. We've always had this level of spam, even in the old board. But in the past few days I've noticed the level of spam reach a point where I start to see nonsense posts being posted for the sake of being posted...to reach certain ranks perhaps?? This is not beneficial to anyone because so many of the threads are so full of garbage that it's pointless reading through them all. In summary, a little moderation would go a long way.

This spamming for spamming sake is ruining what used to be a wonderful board. I first joined last October and despite completing the game a long time ago, came back for the interesting conversation and fun. Rikard's harking back to the old days is very understandable, because although spamming happened then, there was thought involved in the replies. Sadly, that is not always the case now. Cloudbringer, in case you think I mean you, don't worry, as you were furthest from my mind. Your spam is premium quality, and not the stale variety served in schools.

------------------

Charlie's S-Plan diet is no better than his invisibility potion!

[This message has been edited by Stealthy (edited 03-06-2001).]
Old 03-06-2001, 04:43 PM   #50
Epona
Zartan

Hi folks,
I have posted my full confession on Ziroc's 'Spamming for Ranking' post.
Excitement of stars has now faded. I have returned to normal (if I was ever normal in the first place ).

Please, if anyone is thinking of leaving because of the silly spam, and it did get silly, DON'T. It was just the initial excitement of the new board, I am one of the guilty parties I admit, but if I have calmed down now that is a good sign that things will settle down shortly. I haven't got time to read or post to 24 page threads!! (I only got up to page 15 of the legendary 'spam' thread before I gave up)

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.